Manipulations by Hammers

Go to CruxDreams.com
Very atmospheric. It looks like an old television show scene featuring women in peril. Good dungeon feel to this.
Agreed : it really looks like a screenshot from a 1950-1960's peplum movie. Well done!
It's a screen shot from the 1955 sword and sandal epic "Land of the Pharaohs".
Actually, a much bigger budget film than a peplum. It was directed by Howard Hawks, co-written by William Faulkner and starred the totally miscast Jack Hawkins as Pharaoh Khufu. It also starred a young Joan Collins
The scene here is when Hawkins has Collins and her black servant whipped in the dungeon.
land03.jpgland04.jpg
(Couldn't find the exact screen shot)

The film is piece of fluff, with little artistic - much less historical - merit. But it is fun and Collins is way hot, playing the kind of scheming bitch she would become famous for 30 years later.
collins1.pngcollins2.jpgcollins3.jpgcollins4.jpg

Crucifixions' scene in the arena.jpg' scene in the arena.jpg
Good use of the large, movie background - the inserted figures are very arresting, giving a sense of depth and scale to the picture.
Nice work, Hammers! :)

This is a very dramatic composition, and I note that the original scene has a very complicated lighting arrangement. There are two light sources, providing backlighting behind the Romans, and further light illuminating them from the front and sides, in addition to reflected light off the walls.

The backlighting has been resolved quite well for the new crux figure, especially with the added shadows extending from the foot of the cross, outwards through the lower foreground. The figure scale, contrast and colour saturation are all commendably consistent with the existing characters. The crux figure is well defined as the main subject, and the cross appears firmly planted in the ground.

The serial number at lower right indicates that the background has been flipped, and some modification to the left middle distance has resulted in the loss of the lower part of the sentry's spear. Nevertheless, in technical and artistic terms, I think this is one of your best manipulations to date. Well done, Hammers! :)

This is a very dramatic composition, and I note that the original scene has a very complicated lighting arrangement. There are two light sources, providing backlighting behind the Romans, and further light illuminating them from the front and sides, in addition to reflected light off the walls.

The backlighting has been resolved quite well for the new crux figure, especially with the added shadows extending from the foot of the cross, outwards through the lower foreground. The figure scale, contrast and colour saturation are all commendably consistent with the existing characters. The crux figure is well defined as the main subject, and the cross appears firmly planted in the ground.

The serial number at lower right indicates that the background has been flipped, and some modification to the left middle distance has resulted in the loss of the lower part of the sentry's spear. Nevertheless, in technical and artistic terms, I think this is one of your best manipulations to date. Well done, Hammers! :)
Hello Bobinder! Reading your accurate study of the light, the context and the particulars is a pleasure (and an honour) to me. I owe you a big "Thank you"also for focusing my attention both on my (limited) merits and my mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom