Go to CruxDreams.com
Haggling

The man on the right is haggling with Ingrid over the price of his potential purchase of witch meat. This would not normally happen as the cost of basic foodstuffs was fixed by law. The price of manufactured goods on the other hand depended to a large extent on supply and demand. As an example you would expect to pay 2d for a chicken but £50 for a top of the range dress. However, Little Brampton was a law unto itself!
Haggling2.jpg
“Dame, what hold ye the udder of this
cow? Or what is worth the pair together?
In short, so to speak, how much the pair?”

“Sire, reason; ye shall have it good and cheap.”

“Yea, truly, for cattle. Dame, ye must me win.
Take heed what I shall pay.”

“Six pennies, if it please you.”

“For so much would I have the finest wine.”

“But I have some which is not of the best
which I would not give for a shilling.”

“But this is no such meat, of so much money,
that know ye well!”

“Sire, what is it worth?”

“Dame, it were worth to me well three pennies.”

“That is evil-boden.”

“But say certainly how shall I have it without
a part to leave?”

“I shall give it ye at one word: ye shall pay one groat.”

(One groat=4d. There were 240d to the £ and £1 is approx $1.25 so how much is 1 groat in $ ?)

The girl with the knife is Lucy, Ingrid’s niece who is working her Saturday morning job on Ingrid’s witch meat stall. Another hour and she’ll have enough to go to the concert by the “Mediaeval Baebes” on the village green. Perhaps they’ll sing “Salve virgo virginum” or maybe the popular “Guadete”.

A cow’s udder was considered as offal and sold as such. For a long time it was an acquired taste like tripe and pickled sheep’s brain. As recently as the 1950’s it was eaten over here, warmed up and served with brown bread and butter. Not all were fans of the stuff.

Parson James Woodforde was still at Oxford on this day in 1763, and wrote:

“I dined at the Chaplain’s table with Pickering and Waring, upon a roasted Tongue and Udder…N.B. I shall not dine on a roasted Tongue and Udder again soon”

Tongue and udder were both common items of diet at the time and the good Parson ate tongue regularly over the next forty years, so it must have been the udder that was the problem. Samuel Pepys certainly enjoyed it a hundred years earlier:

“Mr. Creed and I to the Leg in King Street, where he and I, and my Will had a good udder to dinner.”

It was often sold cheaply, minced, cooked and used in pies as a thickener. In Medieval times not only was the price of foodstuff fixed but there were laws governing the sale and quality of edible products. You bought it fresh and ate it soon. Woe betide a butcher whose products made his customers ill. They knew where you lived! Not so the case in larger cities. Today we have many food laws. Sadly, most of them favour the seller rather than the consumer. Your pie may have been thickened with “Meat products”. But what are those? Hardly any pizzas contain real cheese and lamb curries are anything but!

Bon Appetite

Haggling

The man on the right is haggling with Ingrid over the price of his potential purchase of witch meat. This would not normally happen as the cost of basic foodstuffs was fixed by law. The price of manufactured goods on the other hand depended to a large extent on supply and demand. As an example you would expect to pay 2d for a chicken but £50 for a top of the range dress. However, Little Brampton was a law unto itself!
View attachment 510565
“Dame, what hold ye the udder of this
cow? Or what is worth the pair together?
In short, so to speak, how much the pair?”

“Sire, reason; ye shall have it good and cheap.”

“Yea, truly, for cattle. Dame, ye must me win.
Take heed what I shall pay.”

“Six pennies, if it please you.”

“For so much would I have the finest wine.”

“But I have some which is not of the best
which I would not give for a shilling.”

“But this is no such meat, of so much money,
that know ye well!”

“Sire, what is it worth?”

“Dame, it were worth to me well three pennies.”

“That is evil-boden.”

“But say certainly how shall I have it without
a part to leave?”

“I shall give it ye at one word: ye shall pay one groat.”

(One groat=4d. There were 240d to the £ and £1 is approx $1.25 so how much is 1 groat in $ ?)

The girl with the knife is Lucy, Ingrid’s niece who is working her Saturday morning job on Ingrid’s witch meat stall. Another hour and she’ll have enough to go to the concert by the “Mediaeval Baebes” on the village green. Perhaps they’ll sing “Salve virgo virginum” or maybe the popular “Guadete”.

A cow’s udder was considered as offal and sold as such. For a long time it was an acquired taste like tripe and pickled sheep’s brain. As recently as the 1950’s it was eaten over here, warmed up and served with brown bread and butter. Not all were fans of the stuff.

Parson James Woodforde was still at Oxford on this day in 1763, and wrote:

“I dined at the Chaplain’s table with Pickering and Waring, upon a roasted Tongue and Udder…N.B. I shall not dine on a roasted Tongue and Udder again soon”

Tongue and udder were both common items of diet at the time and the good Parson ate tongue regularly over the next forty years, so it must have been the udder that was the problem. Samuel Pepys certainly enjoyed it a hundred years earlier:

“Mr. Creed and I to the Leg in King Street, where he and I, and my Will had a good udder to dinner.”

It was often sold cheaply, minced, cooked and used in pies as a thickener. In Medieval times not only was the price of foodstuff fixed but there were laws governing the sale and quality of edible products. You bought it fresh and ate it soon. Woe betide a butcher whose products made his customers ill. They knew where you lived! Not so the case in larger cities. Today we have many food laws. Sadly, most of them favour the seller rather than the consumer. Your pie may have been thickened with “Meat products”. But what are those? Hardly any pizzas contain real cheese and lamb curries are anything but!

Bon Appetite
One if your best!!!

Oh nooooo!!!!!.....where has everyone gone? We seem to have been deserted by our staunchest allies in the fight against the powers of evil. News came through of a resurgence of witchcraft activity in the vicinity of Little Brampton so I hurried there immediately only to find our witch finders no longer there. The survivors of this latest Satanic onslaught are exhausted and working all hours to stem this tide.
Three more.jpg

Oh nooooo!!!!!.....where has everyone gone? We seem to have been deserted by our staunchest allies in the fight against the powers of evil. News came through of a resurgence of witchcraft activity in the vicinity of Little Brampton so I hurried there immediately only to find our witch finders no longer there. The survivors of this latest Satanic onslaught are exhausted and working all hours to stem this tide.
View attachment 514016
Good to see you back on the job...
I didn't realize the depth of the crisis. Don't think I have 'laid down on the job'! I have been working on a witch blanching machine that dips the witch in boiling water before she is hanged so she can be skinned more easily so the tannery can make witch leather. The first attempt was a failure as most of the early trials died before they could be hanged. While skinning them was easier the witch meat was suitable only as livestock feed...
cage 122.jpg

I made a different a different cage that would keep their heads out of the boiling water. It worked and the witch meat really didn't any different from an un-blanched witch and a blanched but live hanged witch but the perception was there.
cage 164.jpg

So I worked on a steamer to put the hanged witch in it before she is spit roasted.
cage  154 a.jpg

It seems to work...

I'll get back to witch hunting though until the crisis is over...
witch 020.jpg

Sincerely,

Tree

Good to see you back on the job...
I didn't realize the depth of the crisis. Don't think I have 'laid down on the job'! I have been working on a witch blanching machine that dips the witch in boiling water before she is hanged so she can be skinned more easily so the tannery can make witch leather. The first attempt was a failure as most of the early trials died before they could be hanged. While skinning them was easier the witch meat was suitable only as livestock feed...
View attachment 514127

I made a different a different cage that would keep their heads out of the boiling water. It worked and the witch meat really didn't any different from an un-blanched witch and a blanched but live hanged witch but the perception was there.
View attachment 514129

So I worked on a steamer to put the hanged witch in it before she is spit roasted.
View attachment 514134

It seems to work...

I'll get back to witch hunting though until the crisis is over...
View attachment 514130

Sincerely,

Tree
You have obviously been working hard for the greater good of the community. Steaming is definitely a healthy method of cooking food. I shall endeavour to get a message through to MaMacdonald requesting that she experiments with steaming of live witches prior to roasting. Another fayre is due soon so we may see what has developed by then and whether her customers are in favour.

You have obviously been working hard for the greater good of the community. Steaming is definitely a healthy method of cooking food. I shall endeavour to get a message through to MaMacdonald requesting that she experiments with steaming of live witches prior to roasting. Another fayre is due soon so we may see what has developed by then and whether her customers are in favour.
Madame Joney, I promise to work tirelessly on this!!!

BOILING THE WITCH ALIVE

The chefs of Little Brampton were always happy to experiment with new ways of preparing witch meat. Here we see the chef of the Hanged Witch pub and her assistant steaming and boiling a witch before roasting. This is the back yard of the pub as a witch splashing about in hot water can present a risk to passers by.
Steaming.jpg

The cook in the foreground is tending to the fire which is boiling the water while her assistant adds cold water to maintain a steady temperature which is essential to correctly gauge the cooking time. Several experiments will be needed and diner opinions taken into account before the optimum steaming and boiling times for a witch of known weight can be accurately assessed.

BOILING THE WITCH ALIVE

The chefs of Little Brampton were always happy to experiment with new ways of preparing witch meat. Here we see the chef of the Hanged Witch pub and her assistant steaming and boiling a witch before roasting. This is the back yard of the pub as a witch splashing about in hot water can present a risk to passers by.
View attachment 517493

The cook in the foreground is tending to the fire which is boiling the water while her assistant adds cold water to maintain a steady temperature which is essential to correctly gauge the cooking time. Several experiments will be needed and diner opinions taken into account before the optimum steaming and boiling times for a witch of known weight can be accurately assessed.
I am heartened to the precautions taken to keep others safe but I do fear for the safety of the two chefs!!!

BOILING THE WITCH ALIVE

View attachment 517493

Or freezing them to death by pouring water over them in the midst of winter

d9e9f5b2534bdc419b079d4ae2e752a4.jpg

One of the attrocities Elisabeth Bathory (presumably the woman on the chair at the right).
It could well be her. A most unpleasant woman. Fortunately she never came near Little Brampton.
Elizabeth_Bathory_Portrait.jpg

To save interested viewers from looking her up here is a little information about her.

Countess Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed (Hungarian: Báthory Erzsébet, Slovak: Alžbeta Bátoriová ; 7 August 1560 – 21 August 1614)[2] was a Hungarian noblewoman and serial killer from the Báthory family of nobility in the Kingdom of Hungary. She has been labelled by Guinness World Records as the most prolific female murderer,[3] though the precise number of her victims is debated. Báthory and four collaborators were accused of torturing and killing hundreds of young women between 1585 and 1609.[4] The highest number of victims cited during Báthory's trial was 650. However, this number comes from the claim by a serving girl named Susannah that Jakab Szilvássy, Countess Báthory's court official, had seen the figure in one of Báthory's private books. The book was never revealed, and Szilvássy never mentioned it in his testimony.[5] Despite the evidence against Elizabeth, her family's influence kept her from facing trial. She was imprisoned in December 1609 within Csetje Castle, in Upper Hungary (now Slovakia), and held in solitary confinement in a windowless room until her death five years later.

The stories of her serial murders and brutality are verified by the testimony of more than 300 witnesses and survivors as well as physical evidence and the presence of horribly mutilated dead, dying and imprisoned girls found at the time of her arrest.[6] Stories describing her vampire-like tendencies (most famously the tale that she bathed in the blood of virgins to retain her youth) were generally recorded years after her death, and are considered unreliable. Her story quickly became part of national folklore, and her infamy persists to this day.[7] She is often compared with Vlad the Impaler of Wallachia (on whom the fictional Count Dracula is partly based), having contributed some of the mythos to the Dracula legend herself.[citation needed] Nicknames and literary epithets attributed to her include The Blood Countess and Countess Dracula.

Maybe one of our writers could pen a story or two based on her?

View attachment 514016
I do hope the backlog of witches is being cleared up... Ingrid has been working hard on it resorting to two roasting two at a time without wasting time to hang them first!!!
cook 075.jpg

Has anyone seen Jonesygirl? No? Well who can sign for these witches I caught?
View attachment 519705

Witchhunter Tree
Sorry I've been absent for a while but there was a new market to prepare for and the folk of Little Brampton were a little short handed. I volunteered to help with the transport of the witch meat for some new butchers. Some of these witches are a lot heavier than they look and I nearly did my back in hoisting them up!
newbutcher.jpg

Sorry I've been absent for a while but there was a new market to prepare for and the folk of Little Brampton were a little short handed. I volunteered to help with the transport of the witch meat for some new butchers. Some of these witches are a lot heavier than they look and I nearly did my back in hoisting them up!
View attachment 521046

We forgive you! Of course!

Back
Top Bottom