Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
My first experience with a Titanic movie was 'A Night to Remember' when I was barely a teenager. It was actually a well done movie for the time.

View attachment 1461499
Based on the book that was almost a timeline of the disaster.
I read it several times as a kid.
Based on many survivor’s accounts of that night.

And a bit of an obscure film with a nicely poignant prelude that captured the Edwardian majesty and melancholy of it all.
John Barry’s music to Raise the Titanic From 0:00 to 1:58.

Last edited:
And a bit of an obscure film with a nicely poignant prelude that captured the Edwardian majesty and melancholy of it all.

A criminally underrated film if you ask me. Yes it's all a bit silly when you know how the Titanic sank, but remember that it was released five years before the discovery of the Titanic wreck which proved that the ship broke in two as it sank (something that the White Star Line always vehemently denied, claiming that it sank more or less intact, despite numerous eyewitness accounts (all of which were ridiculed and covered up) of the ship breaking apart)

It's a fascinating and great looking film though, with some intriguing concepts and the scenes of the ship bursting through the surface are spectacular even today, and were all done with practical effects - no cgi here, and the whole thing looks far more realistic than the mostly-cgi ship in James Cameron's 1997 blockbuster (OMG was that really over a quarter of a century ago that "Titanic" was released? :eek:

"Raise The Titanic" is based on the book by the same name written by Clive Cussler back in 1976 and although panned by the critics (which is usually a sign that a film is going to be really good), went on to find its audience on home video and dvd, becoming something of a hidden gem and a cult classic that's well worth picking up on dvd or bluray if you can find it.

And of course the wonderful, soul-stirring score by John Barry is nothing short of amazing and elevates the film even further. Don't listen to the haters - this is a great film that I've lost count of the number of times I've watched over the years

My first experience with a Titanic movie was 'A Night to Remember' when I was barely a teenager. It was actually a well done movie for the time.

View attachment 1461499
Much better than the 1997 movie indeed!

A criminally underrated film if you ask me. Yes it's all a bit silly when you know how the Titanic sank, but remember that it was released five years before the discovery of the Titanic wreck which proved that the ship broke in two as it sank (something that the White Star Line always vehemently denied, claiming that it sank more or less intact, despite numerous eyewitness accounts (all of which were ridiculed and covered up) of the ship breaking apart)

It's a fascinating and great looking film though, with some intriguing concepts and the scenes of the ship bursting through the surface are spectacular even today, and were all done with practical effects - no cgi here, and the whole thing looks far more realistic than the mostly-cgi ship in James Cameron's 1997 blockbuster (OMG was that really over a quarter of a century ago that "Titanic" was released? :eek:

"Raise The Titanic" is based on the book by the same name written by Clive Cussler back in 1976 and although panned by the critics (which is usually a sign that a film is going to be really good), went on to find its audience on home video and dvd, becoming something of a hidden gem and a cult classic that's well worth picking up on dvd or bluray if you can find it.

And of course the wonderful, soul-stirring score by John Barry is nothing short of amazing and elevates the film even further. Don't listen to the haters - this is a great film that I've lost count of the number of times I've watched over the years
Agreed!

I spot some ressemblance with the music, John Barry wrote for "The Black Hole" (1979). Here the USS Cygnus fly past. USS Cygnus as depicted in the movie has really the appearance of a wrecked ship.

Sad news is the fire today of the old stock exchange building (Borsen) in Copenhagen. The 400 years old building was severely damaged. The iconic "dragon spire" has collapsed. It is comparable to the Notre Dame in Paris fire, just five years ago. Like Notre Dame, Borsen was also undergoing renovation, and surrounded by scaffolds, which complicated the work of the fire brigade. Fortunately, tens of historic artworks and furniture could be rescued.
borsen.jpg

I spot some ressemblance with the music, John Barry wrote for "The Black Hole" (1979). Here the USS Cygnus fly past. USS Cygnus as depicted in the movie has really the appearance of a wrecked ship.

And of course similar to the score for any number of the Bond films that he composed the music for - in particular Moonraker (one of the worst Bond films but one of the best soundtracks), which has a lot of similarities to the Black Hole music - in fact all three of these films were released within a year or two of each other and John Barry does have a very distinctive style (not least of which is his penchant for repeating each phrase twice)

And then you have the main theme from Somewhere In Time (another underrated gem that sees me cry my way through a whole box of tissues every time I watch it), which sounds somewhat similar to the intro theme from Raise The Titanic - and that's interesting in of itself because this is a film set mostly in the Edwardian era, likewise the intro of Raise The Titanic and both evoke a similar period feel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom