Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm glad that my English is improving that I didn't read it as you are asking others to beat you. (Something inviting imaginations, nonetheless. Oh, the pic looks lovely, by the way.)

To get back to the topic, Sandra Day O'Connor became the first female justice of the Supreme Court of the United States in 1981.

To tell you the truth, I didn't know her name until now and I don't memorize such dates... so I just visited Wikipedia page which lists all the notable events happened on September 15 in history, and picked a random one which looks remarkable to me.

I did that because I felt slightly guilty to prolong an offtopic banter in this thread. But it also lessened another kind of guilt somewhat - it's good to be reminded from time to time of what women are like in real world, since in my fantasies, the best thing they can achieve is to be a good slave who can take the whip without screaming too much or learn how to give a good blowjob without using her teeth.

I'm glad that my English is improving that I didn't read it as you are asking others to beat you. (Something inviting imaginations, nonetheless. Oh, the pic looks lovely, by the way.)

Good for you! It did occur to me after posting that you might misconstrue my meaning, but you didn’t, which shows your English is really quite good. ;)

Happy Battle of Britain Day - 80 Years on!
fireworks.gif
Mods, feel free to reduce size. But I wanted a big splash for those recognized in Winston Churchill's finely crafted phrase:
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"
Never_was_so_much_owed_by_so_many_to_so_few.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 901571
Mods, feel free to reduce size. But I wanted a big splash for those recognized in Winston Churchill's finely crafted phrase:
View attachment 901572
Needless to say , British TV is full of nostalgic old film, and recent film of the last remaining BofB aircraft flying over the White Cliffs of Dover.

1600250234853.png this is the image we all grew up with, the chaps then roaring off in an open-top MG12997425.jpg to the pub.

It is finally being acknowledged that very many more people were involved than the pilotsal00074-bLG.jpg and it was almost as dangerous , since airfields were targeted by bombers. And as for the 'gals'? They did their bit
1188px-WAAF_radar_operator_Denise_Miley_plotting_aircraft_on_a_cathode_ray_tube_in_the_Receive...jpg

View attachment 901571
View attachment 901572
So, to hell with the "petrol" rationing?
Feynman tells the story of his stay at Los Alamos working on the bomb. His wife had TB (incurable in those days) and was in the hospital in Albuquerque. She took a turn for the worse, and got an urgent call. He had to borrow a car, from Klaus Fuchs, the Soviet spy. He didn't get there before she died. Gasoline was certainly rationed in the US as well (as was rubber).

ZecPetrol.jpg
The "petrol", unfortunately, wasn't home-grown.

Last edited:
Since quite a few here like ancient sea battles - and it's being celebrated in Greece in a big way,
for fairly obvious reasons -

Battle of Salamis 480 BC (roughly 29th Sept)

View attachment 907354
So much for our Classically educated crew! The battle which turned the tide (literally) against the Persians who, after Thermopylae and the sack of Athens looked set to conquer Sparta and the Peloponnese and add the whole of Greece to their empire. Wily Themistocles lured the Persian fleet into the narrow Strait of Eleusis to attack the small Greek navy, knowing (as the Persians didn't) that the wind and current would change during the morning and trap them so they could be slaughtered.

Aeschylus's 'The Persians', the earliest of the great Greek dramas, is about the news of the disaster being reported to the ladies of the Persian court. A famous piece in the lines of the Choros is still a kind of 'national anthem' for the Greeks -
"Advance, ye sons of Greece, from thraldom save
Your country, save your wives, your children save,
The temples of your gods, the sacred tomb
Where rest your honour'd ancestors; this day
The common cause of all demands your valour."
If it sounds familiar, that's right, Rouget de l'Isle had it in mind as he composed what became La Marseillaise.

This week, the Greeks are celebrating the 2500th anniversary - with Erdogan's Turkey seen as another threat like the Persia of Darius.

So much for our Classically educated crew! The battle which turned the tide (literally) against the Persians who, after Thermopylae and the sack of Athens looked set to conquer Sparta and the Peloponnese and add the whole of Greece to their empire. Wily Themistocles lured the Persian fleet into the narrow Strait of Eleusis to attack the small Greek navy, knowing (as the Persians didn't) that the wind and current would change during the morning and trap them so they could be slaughtered.

Aeschylus's 'The Persians', the earliest of the great Greek dramas, is about the news of the disaster being reported to the ladies of the Persian court. A famous piece in the lines of the Choros is still a kind of 'national anthem' for the Greeks -
If it sounds familiar, that's right, Rouget de l'Isle had it in mind as he composed what became La Marseillaise.

This week, the Greeks are celebrating the 2500th anniversary - with Erdogan's Turkey seen as another threat like the Persia of Darius.
Sorry, I do know about Salamis and always like the idea that "small and clever" can beat "big and arrogant". But I free associate and once "salami" came up I thought of Lehrer's song, which is a favorite of mine. (Lehrer was asked why he stopped doing songs. "You can't do satire now because you can't top Henry Kissinger's winning the Noble Peace Prize.) Apparently Macron is willing to help Greece with Erdogan, and the French Navy is not to be toyed with.

I heard about this battle a long time ago when I read the book "The Novellas and Anecdotes of Herodotus" (early 1970s). whereas today he would probably be called a Turk, as he was born in Halicarnassus, today Bodrum.

Not always consider the battle of the Falkland Islands in 1914

I think you could definitely argue the point yes. The Falklands in 1914 saw two modern battlecruisers face off against pair of armoured cruisers which while hardly old had been completely caught out by the step change in technologies. Depending on whether you count the Second World War as part of the Dreadnought era you often saw older battleships pitted against up to date designs with bad results for the older ship.

Not always consider the battle of the Falkland Islands in 1914
In that battle, the Royal Navy's battlecruisers were of a playing level higher than von Spee's armoured cruisers. They got the speed to catch them up, and heavier and longer range main batteries.

Von Spee himself had a similar advantage over Craddock's squadron at Cape Coronel, a month earlier. He could stay out of range when he was in a disadvantaged position and choose his moment to attack.

I think you could definitely argue the point yes. The Falklands in 1914 saw two modern battlecruisers face off against pair of armoured cruisers which while hardly old had been completely caught out by the step change in technologies. Depending on whether you count the Second World War as part of the Dreadnought era you often saw older battleships pitted against up to date designs with bad results for the older ship.
As when the USS Washington (I think) sunk a Japanese battleship in one of the naval battles in the Solomon's, in I think, 1943?

In that battle, the Royal Navy's battlecruisers were of a playing level higher than von Spee's armoured cruisers. They got the speed to catch them up, and heavier and longer range main batteries.

Von Spee himself had a similar advantage over Craddock's squadron at Cape Coronel, a month earlier. He could stay out of range when he was in a disadvantaged position and choose his moment to attack.
Verygood, I thought that most would not know about obscure WW1 naval battles! I am impressed. (Which isn't hard! LOL)

Back
Top Bottom