Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm not keen on statues. Most of them are simply street clutter, passers by not noticing or having a clue who they're commemorating. Some are worth keeping for genuine historical importance and/or artistic merit, but I'd never subscribe to putting up yet more. And I'm perfectly sure Mary Wollstonecraft would have been appalled at the idea. There are much better ways to remember and celebrate her - like reading her writings, and thinking about and acting upon what they still have to say to us today.
I generally agree with you regarding statues, though this one of Albert Einstein at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, is an exception.
Einstein-Memorial-Einstein-statue-in-the-elm-and-holly-grove.jpg
It really captures the spirit of the person and it's far from traffic, in a quiet grove surrounded by trees. There is no good reason for him to be naked, not that he didn't have a very active sex life, conducted largely in that state, but that isn't what he is known for.

As for the Wallstonecraft thing, all I can think of is that winter is coming and someone should lend her a coat...

In 1891 the Société des Gens de Lettre commissioned Auguste Rodin to sculpt a monument of Honore' de Balzac. Rodin had never met Balzac, who died in 1850, but admired his works and sought to create a sculpture that captured his spirit, rather than an exact likeness. The Société des Gens de Lettre was not impressed. They felt it was ugly and did not represent the subject with the respect he deserved (they also probably weren't thrilled with the fact that Rodin took seven years just to create a plaster model). Other artists, however, admired the work and rallied to its defense. Finally, in 1939, 22 years after Rodin's death. It was cast in bronze and placed on display in Paris. Today it is considered a masterpiece.
Balzac_(1898)_1.jpg
Maybe the Société reaction wouldn't have been so harsh if they had seen the earlier studies Rodin had done of a plump, middle-aged nude in an heroic pose. The cloaked figure might have seemed better in comparison.

balzac1.jpgbalzac2.jpgbalzac3.jpg

"The country is rated as the least free in the world by press freedom organisation RSF, below that of even North Korea."
I don't know how that is possible, but has Kim Jong-un gone soft?
North Korea: The leader is like to a god, disagree? - you die.
Turkmenistan: Watch this. Our leader's dog is a god.

Turkmenistan is pretty damn close to the over-the-top tyrannies that often get invented for the stories here on the forums...

below that of even North Korea.
actually the report says 'just one place above N Korea' - or behind,
depending how you look at it 85.44, N. Korea 85.82 in the nastiness ratings

It runs the Democratic People's Republic pretty close in the leaders with silly names stakes,
At least you can chant "Kim Jong Un" over and over again at rallies, try chanting "Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov!"

North Korea: The leader is like to a god, disagree? - you die.
Turkmenistan: Watch this. Our leader's dog is a god.

Turkmenistan is pretty damn close to the over-the-top tyrannies that often get invented for the stories here on the forums...
The wonderful Emarukk on Deviant Art (and now on AU) calls his Central Asian fantasy land Emarukkistan, and a very thrilling, beautiful but (especially for slavegirls) perilous land it is. He's Armenian, familiar with the Stans (having a spot of trouble with the neighbours just now, sadly)

https://rsf.org/en/ranking#
Apparently the BBC was using the 2019 rankings in which Turkmenistan actually was in last, behind North Korea. In 2020, the Turkmens "improved" or North Korea got worse and they switched places.

Maybe the Société reaction wouldn't have been so harsh if they had seen the earlier studies Rodin had done of a plump, middle-aged nude in an heroic pose. The cloaked figure might have seemed better in comparison.

View attachment 926162
I suppose that might suggest Ballsache? :p

It runs the Democratic People's Republic pretty close in the leaders with silly names stakes,
At least you can chant "Kim Jong Un" over and over again at rallies, try chanting "Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov!"

The wonderful Emarukk on Deviant Art (and now on AU) calls his Central Asian fantasy land Emarukkistan, and a very thrilling, beautiful but (especially for slavegirls) perilous land it is. He's Armenian, familiar with the Stans (having a spot of trouble with the neighbours just now, sadly)
I am automatically suspicious of any country which has "Democratic" in its title. It is usually euphemistic at best and often meaning entirely the opposite, rather like "industrial action"

Happy Diwali -
to all who are celebrating, wherever and however!

1605308853409.png

Now he’s no longer numéro un, he’ll have to change his name to Kim Jong Deux
It'll be Kim Jong Ooo, since he's short and fat, so clearly one of the Tombliboos

Kim Jong Un
Kim Jong Ooo
Kim Jong Eee

That went completely over my head..but now I have googled “tombliboo “ I feel so much wiser :p
I guess "In The Night Garden" is just a UK thing then :confused:

Don't worry - you're not missing much (unless you're an underdeveloped toddler, in which case you'd probably be on twitter not in here :) )

Back
Top Bottom