Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
November 11 is Veteran's day in the US to remember all those (alive) who served our country. The day was originally called Armistice Day to remember the end of WWI... the war to end all wars. That didn't work out!

Anyway in 1954 it was changed to 'Veteran's Day'. I never had to serve but respect all who did!!!

Remembrance Day today (UK), when we especially remember those killed and wounded in the Great War 1914 -1918, among them my great-uncle David, whose grave I visited in France.

As is now my tradition (since last year) I’ll be watching that staggering masterpiece of cinema known as “1917”

Fyodor Dostoevsky

220px-Vasily_Perov_-_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%82%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%82_%D0%A4.%D0%9C.%D0%94%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

born 11th November 1821

“Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering...”​

Remembrance Day today (UK), when we especially remember those killed and wounded in the Great War 1914 -1918, among them my great-uncle David, whose grave I visited in France.

As is now my tradition (since last year) I’ll be watching that staggering masterpiece of cinema known as “1917”
I too had a great uncle that served in the US Army in France during WWI, in a field artillery unit. He survived, but was a functioning alcoholic for most of his life afterwards. My own experiences gave me a greater understanding of the horrors that both sides witnessed in that hell and others that followed, and what it did to the veterans that lived it.

I too had a great uncle that served in the US Army in France during WWI, in a field artillery unit. He survived, but was a functioning alcoholic for most of his life afterwards. My own experiences gave me a greater understanding of the horrors that both sides witnessed in that hell and others that followed, and what it did to the veterans that lived it.
We seem to have a talent for creating hells on earth. The trenches of the Great War are certainly among them. As Wilfred Owen wrote in his poem “Strange Meeting”:

Yet also there encumbered sleepers groaned,
Too fast in thought or death to be bestirred.
Then, as I probed them, one sprang up, and stared
With piteous recognition in fixed eyes,
Lifting distressful hands, as if to bless.
And by his smile, I knew that sullen hall,—
By his dead smile I knew we stood in Hell.

The mechanic Carl Zeiss opened a workshop for optical equipment and precision mechanics in Jena on November 17, 1846 at the age of 30, from which today's Zeiss Group emerged with an annual turnover of more than seven billion euros. Zeiss is considered a pioneer of the optical industry in Germany, which has one of its centers in Jena to this day. During the division of Germany, the Zeiss company was also divided - its headquarters are now in Oberkochen in Baden-Württemberg.

The first Tessar camera lens was developed by Zeiss in 1902. When Robert Koch first time saw the tubercle bacillus, he looked through a Zeiss microscope. The first photo that was taken of a person on the moon, the camera lens came from Zeiss. Eyeglass lenses have also been manufactured in Jena since 1912 and now in Oberkochen.

And here the old company logos, the two logos when both company locations were divided and the new company logo.
Zeiss-Logo-Alt.jpg

logo-de-carl-zeiss-jena-collection-logos-vectoriels-des-plus-célèbres-équipes-football-du-mond...jpglogo-zeiss-Oberkochen.png

Zeiss Logo.png

The mechanic Carl Zeiss opened a workshop for optical equipment and precision mechanics in Jena on November 17, 1846 at the age of 30, from which today's Zeiss Group emerged with an annual turnover of more than seven billion euros. Zeiss is considered a pioneer of the optical industry in Germany, which has one of its centers in Jena to this day. During the division of Germany, the Zeiss company was also divided - its headquarters are now in Oberkochen in Baden-Württemberg.

The first Tessar camera lens was developed by Zeiss in 1902. When Robert Koch first time saw the tubercle bacillus, he looked through a Zeiss microscope. The first photo that was taken of a person on the moon, the camera lens came from Zeiss. Eyeglass lenses have also been manufactured in Jena since 1912 and now in Oberkochen.

And here the old company logos, the two logos when both company locations were divided and the new company logo.
View attachment 1089826

View attachment 1089832View attachment 1089834

View attachment 1089835
I spent the best part of my working life looking through Zeiss lenses.

When I had slight cataract problems with both eyes, the ophthalmologist asked why I was worried about a minor problem. When I replied that I was used to pin-sharp vision at work, he readily agreed I should have the new lenses immediately.

Today, for the first time, the US has a female president. At least for a few hours. Joe Biden has to undergo a colonoscopy, and has transferred power to Kamala Harris for the duration of the operation.
"Arm yourselves! To the Ramparts!!"

Attachments

• Naked salute.jpg
    Naked salute.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 33
November 22nd 1963, President Kennedy was killed in Dallas by a angry loner who had a grudge against everyone.
I was 7 years old then. At the time your description was (and still is) the official word. Numerous attempts to replicate Oswald's feat with an identical weapon has only been repeated once. Was Oswald that good or that lucky?

I was 7 years old then. At the time your description was (and still is) the official word. Numerous attempts to replicate Oswald's feat with an identical weapon has only been repeated once. Was Oswald that good or that lucky?
Yes, I don't know what's going on there. I am personally certain that I could make that shot! The same for any decent hunter I know.
However I have never even handled a6.5 mannlicher carcano m91/38 rifle, let alone shot one. I haver however handled several different military surplus rifles from the 6.5 swede mauser to the Ross riffle.
Rifles can be fickle and sometimes you need to get to know them. I think that this may be at least partly the case here as the shooters given the chance to try the shots refused, except for a couple, to take a second shot.
Oswald was used to the rifle.

Kamala Harris : "Why are these soldiers lined up naked?"
Mrs. Harris advisor : "Patriotism, Ma'am!"
Kamala Harris : "Patriotism!?"
Mrs. Harris advisor : "They stripped for the colonoscopy they volunteered for, as a sign of support to their president, Ma'am!"
This reminds me so much of the infamous "Bad Carrot" episode of Lexx (season 4)

Back
Top Bottom