Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
Ten years ago today, on 11 March 2011, Japan's great earthquake and tsunami led to the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
I was vacationing on the California coast near San Luis Obispo and we had to evacuate our Hotel on the beach for tsunami warnings.

Last edited:
Today, 3/14 as written in the US, is Pi Day, a day to celebrate math and science, which in view of the great achievement of the development of the Covid-19 vaccine in under a year is very appropriate this year.

Of course, that means tomorrow will be 3/15, the Ides of March, so watch out all you Romans!

Today, 3/14 as written in the US, is Pi Day, a day to celebrate math and science, which in view of the great achievement of the development of the Covid-19 vaccine in under a year is very appropriate this year.

Of course, that means tomorrow will be 3/15, the Ides of March, so watch out all you Romans!
With a bit less accuracy, 22nd of July would also go (22/7, as we learned in basic school).

Curious that e-day (2,7182) gets less attention. It could be February 7th (US writing), or July 2nd.

The real deal with 'right to withdrawal' of course is e-books, would we want 'withdrawal' (deletion from remote),
or perhaps unannounced 'content correction in the background' from remote,
if some content we've previously 'bought' has been deemed unfit for distribution?
Another aspect of ebooks that I was not aware of:

Its monopoly is stopping public libraries from lending e-books and audiobooks from Mindy Kaling, Dean Koontz, Dr. Ruth Westheimer, Trevor Noah, Andy Weir, Michael Pollan and a whole lot more

Last edited:

So only pi day in the US, everyone else counts the days differently!
On a different note, I take it "pie" in the USA usually denotes a desert, here it's a main course! Divided by a common language . . . . . .

It's already the ides here, but so far a decided lack of toga wearing dagger wielders . . . . I say so far . . . . . . . Windar is an honourable man, they are all honourable men.

Another aspect of ebooks that I was not aware of:

Its monopoly is stopping public libraries from lending e-books and audiobooks from Mindy Kaling, Dean Koontz, Dr. Ruth Westheimer, Trevor Noah, Andy Weir, Michael Pollan and a whole lot more​

Before 2020 most of the books I read came from libraries, covid mucked that up a bit and I've been working through my own stocks lately :) But public libraries are a fantastic resource, one of the things that truly makes us civilised. Bugger Jeff, poke him in the eye and read a corporeal book, preferably one bought second hand and not from the Amazon marketplace :D

On this day in 1781 William Herschel discovered Uranus.

No. Too easy, not going there. :p

So only pi day in the US, everyone else counts the days differently!
On a different note, I take it "pie" in the USA usually denotes a desert, here it's a main course! Divided by a common language . . . . . .

It's already the ides here, but so far a decided lack of toga wearing dagger wielders . . . . I say so far . . . . . . . Windar is an honourable man, they are all honourable men.

Before 2020 most of the books I read came from libraries, covid mucked that up a bit and I've been working through my own stocks lately :) But public libraries are a fantastic resource, one of the things that truly makes us civilised. Bugger Jeff, poke him in the eye and read a corporeal book, preferably one bought second hand and not from the Amazon marketplace :D

No. Too easy, not going there. :p
Ha ha, I was expecting that!

Yes, a pie is what you would call a tart-the fruit-stuffed pastry, not the woman of easy virtue.

Though pizza is also called a pie here, as in the song:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's Amore!

Et tu, Phlebas?

I have several family members and friends who are/were librarians. But I tried to find some of the excellent stories from CF in our local library and they gave me strange looks...

Yes, a pie is what you would call a tart-the fruit-stuffed pastry, not the woman of easy virtue.

Though pizza is also called a pie here, as in the song:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's Amore!

Et tu, Phlebas?

I have several family members and friends who are/were librarians. But I tried to find some of the excellent stories from CF in our local library and they gave me strange looks...
"But I don't want to be a pi!" -Chicken Run

Back
Top Bottom