Milestones

Go to CruxDreams.com
The first moving assembly line to be exactly. Oldsmobile had already in 1902 a static assembly line for mass production of cars. Workers moved from car to car to carry out a specific assembly job.
I milestone we missed last year, but you've reminded me - the only car ever designed by women, for women, manufactured by women!

I milestone we missed last year, but you've reminded me - the only car ever designed by women, for women, manufactured by women!

I was curious to see what changes she introduced that would be explicitly to the benefit of women drivers:

“the changes that Dorothée made were moving the gear lever to between the driver and passenger, (
useful for keeping predatory males away, or usefully placed For orgasmic satisfaction?) raising the driver’s seat, lowering the dashboard, reducing the size of the steering wheel, (good ideas … how large were those old steering wheels?) adding a rear view mirror (one of the first to do so) (great for applying makeup) and improving the leg room and storage capacity” (for those of us who are ‘leggy’?)”.

I was curious to see what changes she introduced that would be explicitly to the benefit of women drivers:

“the changes that Dorothée made were moving the gear lever to between the driver and passenger, (
useful for keeping predatory males away, or usefully placed For orgasmic satisfaction?) raising the driver’s seat, lowering the dashboard, reducing the size of the steering wheel, (good ideas … how large were those old steering wheels?) adding a rear view mirror (one of the first to do so) (great for applying makeup) and improving the leg room and storage capacity” (for those of us who are ‘leggy’?)”.
I don't know about that far back, but older cars before power assisted steering took a little bit of muscle to tun, and the larger steering wheels gave more leverage. The steering wheels started to downsize after the 70's when power steering became standard. Back in those early days I'm guessing it took a fair amount strength to turn those big and heavy wheels on some cars.

I don't know about that far back, but older cars before power assisted steering took a little bit of muscle to tun, and the larger steering wheels gave more leverage. The steering wheels started to downsize after the 70's when power steering became standard. Back in those early days I'm guessing it took a fair amount strength to turn those big and heavy wheels on some cars.
According to (then) older folks, installing large steering wheels on cars had to do with a perception of safety : the larger, the safer. But it could be because of the lack of power steering indeed.

According to (then) older folks, installing large steering wheels on cars had to do with a perception of safety : the larger, the safer. But it could be because of the lack of power steering indeed.
I imagine there's a bit of truth to that. Motor vehicles were very new, and rather scary for some folks I would imagine. Considering that you (the driver) were pretty much out in the open and 'speeding along' some very rough roads, I can see where that steering wheel would be something to hang onto. The passengers didn't have that luxury though, but I guess they could just bail out if things got too wild. :biggrin:

One hundred years ago in 1921 the (English) Football Association (soccer) banned women from playing on any of their recognised grounds.

Today 40,000+ spectators will watch a women's cup final at Wembley, the premier English stadium.

Back
Top Bottom