Mina Berkeley's Voyage

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yea! Hot Damn! It worked! I even figured out how to select only the pages I wanted to include. (There's a pop up in the pdf conversion menu that says, basically, how many pages do you want to include.) Me so smart!

A couple of points that have occurred to me since I've started this epic. Historical verisimilitude is important to me, but honestly I've relied more on my enthusiasm for Age of Sail naval fiction than actual research. I think during the era of the early British transportations to Australia that land was referred to as New South Wales, which is how King Diocletian had it, and how I should have referred to it too. I confess I did not do my due diligence and reread "Miss Berkeley's Voyage" before embarking Mina on her voyage. Now I'm afraid to go back and discover some glaring oversight concerning Berkeley family relationships. You are welcome to point them out to me if you discover any. Also I may have referred to the ship Mina is on as "Discipline," which is what I called it at first, but that seemed like such an unlikely name for a ship that I changed it to "Defiance." So if I've referred to Discipline anywhere as the name of the ship it's an oversight. Hope that won't take you out of the world I've tried to create here.

Responses are hoped for and welcome. Including constructive criticism and even suggestions on (historically accurate) punishments, and the direction you'd like this to go.

Thanks for reading.
The name Terra Australis (land of the south) was applied to a hypothetical southern continent long before the real one was found.
The continent was originally referred to as New Holland, the name give to it by Abel Tasman. The name Australia - a shortened version of Terra Australis, along with the more awkward Australasia - was first used as an alternative in 1794. Explorer Matthew Flinders began pushing for it's official use in 1804. The Admiralty adopted the name officially in 1824
New South Wales was the name given to the prison colony established in 1788.
So, the continent could be referred to as Australia while New South Wales could be used to refer to the actual European settlement.

The name Terra Australis (land of the south) was applied to a hypothetical southern continent long before the real one was found.
The continent was originally referred to as New Holland, the name give to it by Abel Tasman. The name Australia - a shortened version of Terra Australis, along with the more awkward Australasia - was first used as an alternative in 1794. Explorer Matthew Flinders began pushing for it's official use in 1804. The Admiralty adopted the name officially in 1824
New South Wales was the name given to the prison colony established in 1788.
So, the continent could be referred to as Australia while New South Wales could be used to refer to the actual European settlement.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. King Diocletian didn't mention the exact year this story takes place, and neither do I. I was thinking 1790's but could be early 1800's. According to a documentary I watched about the penal settlement, it almost didn't survive due to lack of supplies and difficulty in growing crops. I'm thinking by the time Laura and Mina sail the colony has not only survived but is well established, and even beginning to thrive. So Mina could refer to "Australia."

I would be curious to know if you have any information on women aboard Royal Navy vessels? And if civilians could be punished aboard ship, specifically, could the captain punish a civilian with anything other than say, confinement to quarters? The whipping of the convict woman in my story was inspired by a rather graphic and, I thought, realistic whipping scene from the movie "Mary Bryant," where a convicted prostitute aboard a transport ship gets the cat for grabbing the captain's junk and making a suggestive remark. If that's at all historically accurate then my next chapter, where Mina gets the cane, may not be stretching the historical envelope too far. I'll be stretching it farther though, as the story progresses. The bits and pieces of info I've read suggest that women were not that uncommon aboard ship--officers might bring along their wives, prostitutes might essentially stowaway, especially on shorter voyages, and there were even women who signed on as crew (disguising their gender, of course--sometimes for years.)

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. King Diocletian didn't mention the exact year this story takes place, and neither do I. I was thinking 1790's but could be early 1800's. According to a documentary I watched about the penal settlement, it almost didn't survive due to lack of supplies and difficulty in growing crops. I'm thinking by the time Laura and Mina sail the colony has not only survived but is well established, and even beginning to thrive. So Mina could refer to "Australia."

I would be curious to know if you have any information on women aboard Royal Navy vessels? And if civilians could be punished aboard ship, specifically, could the captain punish a civilian with anything other than say, confinement to quarters? The whipping of the convict woman in my story was inspired by a rather graphic and, I thought, realistic whipping scene from the movie "Mary Bryant," where a convicted prostitute aboard a transport ship gets the cat for grabbing the captain's junk and making a suggestive remark. If that's at all historically accurate then my next chapter, where Mina gets the cane, may not be stretching the historical envelope too far. I'll be stretching it farther though, as the story progresses. The bits and pieces of info I've read suggest that women were not that uncommon aboard ship--officers might bring along their wives, prostitutes might essentially stowaway, especially on shorter voyages, and there were even women who signed on as crew (disguising their gender, of course--sometimes for years.)

I mentioned it on another thread, which I can't find right now, but in his excellent history of the settlement of Australia, "The Fatal Shore", Robert Hughes mentions that female convicts were flogged naked to the waist on Norfolk Island, the "supermax" penal colony, though they were generally not on the Australian mainland.

As far as on a ship, to be honest, it's doubtful a captain could have a civilian who was neither a crew member nor a convict, flogged, whether they were male or female. But if we were limited to rigorous historical accuracy on CF, there would probably be 2 stories and maybe 3 or 4 pictures.

I mentioned it on another thread, which I can't find right now, but in his excellent history of the settlement of Australia, "The Fatal Shore", Robert Hughes mentions that female convicts were flogged naked to the waist on Norfolk Island, the "supermax" penal colony, though they were generally not on the Australian mainland.

As far as on a ship, to be honest, it's doubtful a captain could have a civilian who was neither a crew member nor a convict, flogged, whether they were male or female. But if we were limited to rigorous historical accuracy on CF, there would probably be 2 stories and maybe 3 or 4 pictures.

Outstanding! I really want to get Mina to a "Supermax" colony, where maybe things could get a little more outrageous, but I was thinking that inventing some God-forsaken island or isolated colony could violate suspension of disbelief. Good to know there is some historical reality to the idea. I'll check on it. In my story, Norfolk Island may well become more of a "Super supermax" prison.

I agree, historical accuracy can only go so far. I'm well aware that I'm writing smut, after all, not Moby Dick, LOL.

A story I wrote about the transportation era featured unusual punishments:

I didn't worry about historical accuracy and for this forum, neither should you (someone will point out serious gaffs, but that's just educational).

The Norfolk Island penal colony was in operation from 1825 to 1855; which might be too late for your story. An earlier settlement did exist from 1788 to 1814. It was established to grow food to feed the growing population in the Sydney colony. However, due to a variety of problems, the project was abandoned. Norfolk really seems to have been an odd choice, since it's very small, has no good harbor and is a long way from Sydney.
Norfolk-Island-map.jpg
The penal colonies on Tasmania were established in 1804. The colonies at Port Arthur and Macquarie Harbor were notorious for their brutality. However, these weren't established until the 1820s.
If you do send her to Tasmania, remember that until 1856, the island was called Van Diemen's Land.

I agree with Windar that a civilian on a military ship would likely not be flogged. For one thing, flogging offenses usually involved ship's duties and military regulations which a civilian would not be able to violate. A civilian committing an offense such as assault would likely be held until the ship reached port and then handed over to the civil authorities.

If I remember correctly, in KD's story, Laura's offense is keeping a diary which could fall into enemy hands. I assumed that put the story in the time of the Napoleonic Wars (1803 - 1815). This might have made her subject to martial law. I'm afraid I not enough of an expert in naval law history to know if that was realistic or not.

Historical correctness is a good thing, but if we are too strict about it, we wouldn't have many stories here. I believe, Naraku, that in "For the Good of the Regiment" you made up the "Women's Enlistment Act of 1820" out of whole cloth, you bad boy;), because I can find no reference to it. So, for literary purposes (if that's what we're doing here) we either bend history or invent imaginary places like Trabbia, where the laws can be whatever we want, or post-apocalyptic futures where the same holds true. I did write one story about a real historical person who was crucified in Massachusetts at the time of the Revolution but I won't spoil the story for those who haven't read it http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-real-historical-female-jesus.5775/

Is there any chance to read next chapter with Mina and her flogging in action? Or only in this topic will be talking about story and story will have only dialogue about ship discipline?;)

Historical correctness is a good thing, but if we are too strict about it, we wouldn't have many stories here. I believe, Naraku, that in "For the Good of the Regiment" you made up the "Women's Enlistment Act of 1820" out of whole cloth, you bad boy;), because I can find no reference to it. So, for literary purposes (if that's what we're doing here) we either bend history or invent imaginary places like Trabbia, where the laws can be whatever we want, or post-apocalyptic futures where the same holds true. I did write one story about a real historical person who was crucified in Massachusetts at the time of the Revolution but I won't spoil the story for those who haven't read it http://www.cruxforums.com/xf/threads/the-real-historical-female-jesus.5775/
Your right of course, we are dealing in fantasy here.
"For the Good of the Regiment" falls into the category of alternate history and the same could be said of KD & JS work as well. In fact, a lot of the stories here could fall into that category. However, I did attempt to include details of real history such as the location and the procedures of a military flogging. KD seems to have shown the same attention to detail in his work even though it is very unlikely that a high born woman would ever have been treated the way Miss Berkeley was.
For my own taste, I think it's just fine to tweek a few bits of history for the sake of a good - and in our case, arousing - story. As long as we avoid alien space bats.:p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_space_bats
I also created a fictional African republic for "Punishment in Marungia".

I'm well aware that I'm writing smut, after all, not Moby Dick, LOL.
I don't like the term, smut. It seems to denigrate the good writing, as well as the less good here. Certainly it is niche erotica, and much of it is read to arouse, but why is that worse than something like Moby Dick. I've tried to read any number of bits of "literature" which have not interested me at all, while I have read any number of things here that will never make it into a public library, but which are engaging and well written. They may even touch on aspects of the human condition. I'd much rather write something that even a few people like than something that people only read because their teachers forced them to. Oddly, CruxForums has made me appreciate the work of Thomas Hardy, which I never thought possible. :rolleyes:

Such is the power of "smut". :devil:

And now, back to whatever we were talking about.

You know, I never read "Moby Dick".
That's not completely true; I did read the Classics Illustrated version. :D
Never read "War and Peace" either. I tried to read "Doctor Zhivago" for a Russian lit class but couldn't get past the second chapter without losing consciousness. Fortunately, we could drop one book from the reading list and I chose that one. I read "The Master and Margarita" instead. Excellent work, I highly recommend it.

A story I wrote about the transportation era featured unusual punishments:

I didn't worry about historical accuracy and for this forum, neither should you (someone will point out serious gaffs, but that's just educational).

I don't worry about historical accuracy; for me it's an element that increases my enjoyment of the story. As always, it's a matter of personal preference and the degree to which one is willing to suspend disbelief.

I followed your link and read that chapter and enjoyed it, (even though yeah, I think it would have been stronger with more attention to historical detail :rolleyes:.) But it's a good story! Now I'm starting from the beginning with "Angela And The Savages."

The Norfolk Island penal colony was in operation from 1825 to 1855; which might be too late for your story. An earlier settlement did exist from 1788 to 1814. It was established to grow food to feed the growing population in the Sydney colony. However, due to a variety of problems, the project was abandoned. Norfolk really seems to have been an odd choice, since it's very small, has no good harbor and is a long way from Sydney.
View attachment 521774
The penal colonies on Tasmania were established in 1804. The colonies at Port Arthur and Macquarie Harbor were notorious for their brutality. However, these weren't established until the 1820s.
If you do send her to Tasmania, remember that until 1856, the island was called Van Diemen's Land.

I agree with Windar that a civilian on a military ship would likely not be flogged. For one thing, flogging offenses usually involved ship's duties and military regulations which a civilian would not be able to violate. A civilian committing an offense such as assault would likely be held until the ship reached port and then handed over to the civil authorities.

If I remember correctly, in KD's story, Laura's offense is keeping a diary which could fall into enemy hands. I assumed that put the story in the time of the Napoleonic Wars (1803 - 1815). This might have made her subject to martial law. I'm afraid I not enough of an expert in naval law history to know if that was realistic or not.

Thanks so much for the info. I did a little research on Wikipedia about the penal colonies on Tasmania and Norfolk Island; it has given me the general idea where Mina is going and what is going to happen to her. In general, women convicts were farmed out to landholders as house servants or were sent to "female factories" where they worked primarily in wool processing. Or, as punishment, they could be sent to a factory where they would pick oakum or break rocks. Interestingly, there was an Anglican minister named Samuel Marsden who went to Australia (and later Tasmania) in 1800, was named a magistrate, and who was known as the "Flogging Parson" for his allegedly brutal and extended floggings. So maybe his character can make it into the story too.

I don't like the term, smut. It seems to denigrate the good writing, as well as the less good here. Certainly it is niche erotica, and much of it is read to arouse, but why is that worse than something like Moby Dick. I've tried to read any number of bits of "literature" which have not interested me at all, while I have read any number of things here that will never make it into a public library, but which are engaging and well written. They may even touch on aspects of the human condition. I'd much rather write something that even a few people like than something that people only read because their teachers forced them to. Oddly, CruxForums has made me appreciate the work of Thomas Hardy, which I never thought possible. :rolleyes:

Such is the power of "smut". :devil:

And now, back to whatever we were talking about.

I agree. Many of the stories here contain all the elements of strong writing: Believable characters, vivid description, plausible action and convincing settings. I referred to it as "smut" because I have quite a judgemental, Puritan streak in me. (Maybe that's why I like Judicial Punishment stories so much.)

Speaking of the Classics, I was working on a version of Pride and Prejudice that I called "Pride and Punishment." (why not--after all, there is "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), in which Elizabeth Bennett is framed by Lady Catherine de Bourgh for thievery, and publicly whipped. Hopefully I'll return to that when I get done with Mina.

Speaking of the Classics, I was working on a version of Pride and Prejudice that I called "Pride and Punishment." (why not--after all, there is "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), in which Elizabeth Bennett is framed by Lady Catherine de Bourgh for thievery, and publicly whipped. Hopefully I'll return to that when I get done with Mina.
Sounds fun.

Is there any chance to read next chapter with Mina and her flogging in action? Or only in this topic will be talking about story and story will have only dialogue about ship discipline?;)

Patience, please Beast. You may not appreciate the discussion, but I find it helpful and encouraging. It motivates me to know that others are taking an interest in this story. Don't forget, my only payment, and the only payment any of the writers here receive, is the appreciation of readers. And as I am something of an approval whore, it might be nice if you could express your appreciation for my effort than than your impatience at the pace of it.:)

Patience, please Beast. You may not appreciate the discussion, but I find it helpful and encouraging. It motivates me to know that others are taking an interest in this story. Don't forget, my only payment, and the only payment any of the writers here receive, is the appreciation of readers. And as I am something of an approval whore, it might be nice if you could express your appreciation for my effort than than your impatience at the pace of it.:)
Ok. Maybe it's a cause of my experience and nature. I never wrote o story like something on this portal, but I wrote a lot of reviews (about music not books) sometimes with severe and blunt opinion (which is deserved of course;)). Honestly I prefer to praise somebody not only criticise. Your start that story is interesting but for me had too much dialogue and too less action which I prefere. That's why I wait for next chapters:).

Ok. Maybe it's a cause of my experience and nature. I never wrote o story like something on this portal, but I wrote a lot of reviews (about music not books) sometimes with severe and blunt opinion (which is deserved of course;)). Honestly I prefer to praise somebody not only criticise. Your start that story is interesting but for me had too much dialogue and too less action which I prefere. That's why I wait for next chapters:).

Fair enough. I admit when I start in on a story that is spending a lot of time establishing character and setting, I tend to jump ahead to see if the payoff is going to be worth the read. If it is, then I go back and really appreciate the set up. Obviously that's not possible with this story since I'm only contributing one chapter at a time, but eventually the whole thing will be in a pdf. Mina is going to get a fairly mild caning caning in the next chapter, but in the coming chapters she'll be getting punished in ways that I think will be comparable in severity to what her sister got. I hope I can hold your interest. Your opinion is always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom