Minifigures

Go to CruxDreams.com
Silly question from an ignoramus, but is this something that could be produced on a 3D printer?
A definite yes! Miniatures and scenery for wargames and roleplaying games is one of the few real uses for 3D printers given the limitations of the technology at present. There are many companies producing plans for 3D printing at home, and several Kickstarters I have seen.

I am waiting for the 3D printer that paints the miniature as it makes it!

the best paints I have found are acrlic. lad I know uses a black wash over whole item
One of the best washes for miniature figures is the range made by Army Painter - their "strong tone" (brown wash) and dark tone (dark brown/black wash) are really nice to use and thin down really well with water

Silly question from an ignoramus, but is this something that could be produced on a 3D printer?
To get good detail on tiny figures like these, you need to use a resin printer rather than the more common FDM (filament) type. It is actually possible to get very close to resin print quality using FDM but it's tricky and involves a lot of tinkering with the print settings to get really good results, and it's not good for really small/thin parts.

Ultimately, any 3D model can be converted to a form that can be printed, but this often involves quite a bit of work. I general, hair is the biggest hurdle as most of the models used in the 3D art we see on these forums get the hair effect by alpha shading rather than actually modeling the actual hair itself. Some of the older hair pieces used in early versions of Poser etc were effectively solid models and they will print just fine. I've run into this issue several times when it comes to preparing models for printing. In fact several times I've cheated with small miniatures by preparing the model without hair then adding it post-print by using Kneadatite (green stuff) putty or Milliput.

Other than the hair issues (layered clothing can also cause problems at times), the actual figure models created in Daz3D or Poser can be exported as .OBJ files which can then be made ready for printing

I am waiting for the 3D printer that paints the miniature as it makes it!
Several experimental laser-based prototypes exist that can print multi-coloured objects using coloured UV-curing resin but they're a very long way off for consumers at the moment.

3D painters (basically a multi-axis CNC machine combined with a colour printer) already exist and are used in industry (for painting realistic-looking action figures etc) but again are way out of reach for 99.9% of us (but then so were regular 3D printers until about 15 years ago and they're incredibly cheap nowadays, so give it time...)

as to 3d printer the only problem could be copyright issues
That's only going to be a problem if you're trying to sell the models and/or the digital files. If you're only printing for yourself or for friends then there's no realistic way that anybody would ever know...

One of the best washes for miniature figures is the range made by Army Painter - their "strong tone" (brown wash) and dark tone (dark brown/black wash) are really nice to use and thin down really well with water
heard about this company army painter never get they paints but heard are good also saw they products so many great things to decorate figures bases and making dioramas terrains think mine fav was always was making dioramas and terrains and very nice looking bases under miniatures but sculpt with green stuff is nice too when was not avalible greenstuff here was using cheaper polish version who u mixed from 2 substances too like greenstuff also modeling clay is not that bad is good when u sculpt whole miniature body epecialy good to bigger miniatures like ogre kingdom army conversions u sculpt body of ogre later cook it in oven to clay go hard and later u can finish body details with modeling knife

Absolutely amazing result!!! I am deeply impressed!

If I can give you an advice, try to use a matt paint on figures in the future. In general, the matt paints make any scaled down item to look more realistic while the glossy paints are perfect for wet or icy environment.
I would love to use matt paint for most surfaces, but many colors exist only in matt in this Mr Hobby / Gunze-Sangyo line.

Varnishing the figures after painting is a good idea as it protects them from wear and tear.

I have seen varnish in gloss, matt and satin (semi-gloss). Matt usually looks most realistic, gloss is good for liquids and metals, and satin would be most appropriate for sweaty crucified girls!

Even better the top layer determines the gloss/matt effect, so matt varnish over gloss paint makes the figure matt.

Thanks!
Maybe some of you would be interested that they give a 30% BF discount on all their figures.
I like it that they dare to design kinky minis but body proportions are flawed in my opinion (legs are too long compared to the torso and upper arms).
Maybe I do something wrong, but I only found these figures, not the real crucified ones...

Attachments

• 1668940294438.png
    1668940294438.png
    60 KB · Views: 290
  • 1668940306641.png
    1668940306641.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
If anyone have access to a resin printer and want to try, I can provide an obj. or stl. file of a crucified girl and her cross. Of course for free, the only condition is that who use it shares here the results...

This is not mine, just found images. As a kickstarter item, you can buy it most likely on ebay from private owners.
The product called "The Tree of Despair", and it's a nice diorama item. Consists an old, dead tree, some vultures, and a half-naked male and a female victim option to be tied to the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20210623_024046198_HDR.jpg.14f6827ebab210744f95da13dcfc2bfb.jpg
    IMG_20210623_024046198_HDR.jpg.14f6827ebab210744f95da13dcfc2bfb.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 352
Back
Top Bottom