Minnesota Moore and the Emperors' Treasure

Go to CruxDreams.com

Praefectus Praetorio

R.I.P. Brother of the Quill
Tomorrow will begin the serialization of one of the great adventure novels of the 20th century.

We all know of the 1981 release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, an American action adventure film which established one of the most successful modern film franchises. Many also know that a certain Hollywood screen writer (initials G L) wrote The Adventures of Indiana Smith in 1973. He was hoping for an opportunity to create a modern version of the film serials of the 1930s and 1940s.

What isn’t widely known, is that G L drew heavily (plagiarism is such an ugly word) on a 1962 novel by a little known, but critically acclaimed, author who is only known by his pen-name, Perfect Pulp (I said his writing was acclaimed, not his choice of pen-name). This novel, described by respected critics as “Nearly perfect!”, “…brings obscure history to life!”, and “…one of the great adventure novels of the 20th century!”, did not sell well due to poor marketing and an on-going dispute between the author and the publisher (who was turning his attention from books to highly lucrative men’s pulp magazines.)

The novel, Washington Williams and the Emperors’ Treasure, details what Perfect claims were the true-life adventures of a female history professor from Seattle, on a field trip in the Balkans in the late 50’s. There has been no independent confirmation of his claim to actual facts. However, the exacting historical accuracy of the book and the verisimilitude of the places and events argue strongly for his claim. Interesting also for a work of its time, was the frank and sympathetic depictions of a lesbian affair and a May-December romance.

When G L borrowed (or stole – more on that later) the plot from the earlier novel, he chose to make the hero a man. Apparently, he believed that 70’s Hollywood still couldn’t accept the concept of a strong female protagonist. When the influential producer (initials S S) took over the project, he changed the surname to Jones and made him somewhat humorous.

Once the franchise became a massive hit, Perfect Pulp sued for copywrite infringement. It was settled out of court, with no admission on the part of the studio and a gag order, for a one-time payment rumored to be in the low 8 figures. Perfect Pulp retired to an island he bought in the Bahamas (along with townhouses in NYC, Tahoe, and an undisclosed location in the Scottish Lowlands – for Whisky sampling trips and star-gazing), where he has lived happily and quietly. In late summer of 2018, driven by certain personal predilections, he discovered and became active (under yet another pen name) on Cruxforums.

After a few months, he approached the staff, (in strictest confidence), with an offer to allow Cruxforums to serialize an updated version of his greatest novel. The plot and historical accuracy have remained completely unchanged. He had to update Balkan history 60 years from 1958 to 2018. And he graciously chose to rename some characters after some on this site. He even went so far as to change the name of the professor/heroine from the original (real life?) Roberta Williams.

A warning to readers: this is an extensive, full-length historical book. Be prepared for deep-dives into Medieval and ancient history as well as an extensive tour of the Balkans and their history all within a fascinating treasure hunt. All is written in a light, flowing style which never bores. The author claims that all historical and geographical references are true, only names of the characters changed for privacy concerns.

It will be serialized over more than 40 postings. If you are interested, get in a comfortable chair, pour yourself a glass of fine single malt, and settle in for a long, cozy read.

author who is only known by his pen-name, Perfect Pulp

Sounds familiar. Let me think now. Who do I know with the initials P.P.? :rolleyes:

Apparently, he believed that 70’s Hollywood still couldn’t accept the concept of a strong female protagonist.

Male chauvinist perception ... so so wrong ... and things really haven't changed that much since the 70's apparently, have they? :confused:

A warning to readers: this is an extensive, full-length historical book. Be prepared for deep-dives into Medieval and ancient history as well as an extensive tour of the Balkans and their history all within a fascinating treasure hunt.

Deep dives into history is partly what this site is often about ... although the results are often fractured. I do believe CF is up to it, though. Can't wait. :popcorn:

It will be serialized over more than 40 postings. If you are interested, get in a comfortable chair, pour yourself a glass of fine single malt, and settle in for a long, cozy read.

Is it ok if I substitute a nice bottle of Riesling? :devil:

Minnesota Moore and the Emperors’ Treasure

By Perfect Pulp

© 1962 Reese Publishing Company, Inc; © 2018 Perfect Pulp, LLC All rights reserved

Prologue April 4, 2018

Dr. Barbara Moore badly needed a rest. She had been working non-stop for the last six months. For that matter, she had been working without a break for the last decade.

But she’s accomplished her goal. Already a full professor at a large and prestigious Midwestern University, she’d just been named to a new endowed chair in Medieval History! Renowned not just for her outstanding research and analytical skills, Barb, unlike many of her academic peers insisted on doing field work, visiting the historical sites. In so doing, she had established a reputation of frequently unearthing lost manuscripts and artifacts. Her students had taken to calling her “Minnesota Moore” as a kind of adventure hero in her field. At only thirty-five, Dr. Barbara Moore was already at the top of her profession.

The child of two academics, there had never been any doubt that Barbara would accomplish great things. By the time she was twenty-five, she has mastered all the tools needed in her field and earned doctorates from both a prestigious US university and from an ancient and respected European place of learning.

Now she had finished a new paper to be published the following month in The Medieval History Journal, the premier peer-reviewed scholarly publication in her field. Her article finally established beyond doubt, that King Wenceslas did indeed look out on the feast of Stephen. But Dr. Moore was known for her almost fanatical academic perfectionism. She had learned of a contemporary Bohemian manuscript that would provide a useful footnote in her article.

So here she was, in the basement tombs of the Bodleian Library at the University of Oxford, looking for a box of old Hungarian chronicles. She was allowed here by personal permission of Librarian, Sir Geoffrey Chaucer.
Madiosi-2019-174-Barb-Oxford Libary.jpg
Dr. Moore soon found the box she’d been looking for. As she pulled it from the shelf, she noticed another box behind it. A quick glance at the label assured her that it wasn’t part of what she was after, so she turned and placed her box on the table. In Barb’s usually fast and precise manner, she found the reference she wanted, made the notes to provide a footnote to her paper and replaced the manuscripts in the box.

As she stood to put it away, she felt a tingle of curiosity about the other box. Her curiosity had served her well in the past, so she switched boxes and sat down to examine her new find. After only a few minutes looking at the contents, Dr. Barbara Moore was more excited than at any other time in her entire career!

Last edited by a moderator:
Her students had taken to calling her “Minnesota Moore” as a kind of adventure hero in her field. At only thirty-five, Dr. Barbara Moore was already at the top of her profession.

And I got there on my merits, not on my looks or by sucking up :rolleyes: to my professors, or the Dean of my College. Although in the case of the Dean I had to bend over a few times.:facepalm:

Dr. Moore was known for her almost fanatical academic perfectionism

My colleagues have to admit that, although they also decry my fanatical ability to complain constantly :confused:

Her curiosity had served her well in the past

Dean Windar can attest to that ;)

After only a few minutes looking at the contents, Dr. Barbara Moore was more excited than at any other time in her entire career!

Even moore so than my private audiences with the Dean.:devil:

Dear Dr. Moore: In view of the fact that you have already blown (pun intended) through your entire fiscal year's budget with six months still remaining, and were forced to make a special request from the Dean's Emergency Fund (which I only approved after some very sincere on your knees begging-and some other on your knees activity) in order to fund your trip, I must reinforce the following points of our agreement:

1. When in London, you will stay at one of the hotels on the University Travel Office's approved list. I note that The Dorchester is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND on that list. An exception can only be made if you are sharing a room with a University Dean-level officer.

2. Meals are to be taken in the local pub. No Michelin-starred establishment allowed. After all, you do want to blend in with the local culture, don't you?

3. You will obey all applicable UK laws and those of any other country your research takes you to. No unauthorized operations this time, OK.

Any failure to follow these rules will result in your immediately being summoned back to campus for a "chat" in my office. I hope we understand each other.

Dean Windar

Dear Dr. Moore: In view of the fact that you have already blown (pun intended) through your entire fiscal year's budget with six months still remaining, and were forced to make a special request from the Dean's Emergency Fund (which I only approved after some very sincere on your knees begging-and some other on your knees activity) in order to fund your trip, I must reinforce the following points of our agreement:

1. When in London, you will stay at one of the hotels on the University Travel Office's approved list. I note that The Dorchester is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND on that list. An exception can only be made if you are sharing a room with a University Dean-level officer.

2. Meals are to be taken in the local pub. No Michelin-starred establishment allowed. After all, you do want to blend in with the local culture, don't you?

3. You will obey all applicable UK laws and those of any other country your research takes you to. No unauthorized operations this time, OK.

Any failure to follow these rules will result in your immediately being summoned back to campus for a "chat" in my office. I hope we understand each other.

Dean Windar
Sensible restrictions. However, I think that you will find that MY Dr. Moore will go even beyond that while staying in Oxford. (Author's prerogative!). I think you will also be relieved to find I've broken her of that nasty habit of complaining.
P Pulp

Now she had finished a new paper to be published the following month in The Medieval History Journal, the premier peer-reviewed scholarly publication in her field. Her article finally established beyond doubt, that King Wenceslas did indeed look out on the feast of Stephen. But Dr. Moore was known for her almost fanatical academic perfectionism. She had learned of a contemporary Bohemian manuscript that would provide a useful footnote in her article.

Perhaps that was it this manuscript ? Good_King_Wenceslas_10a.gif

"Good King Wenceslas" is a Christmas carol that tells a story of a Bohemian king going on a journey and braving harsh winter weather to give alms to a poor peasant on the Feast of Stephen(December 26, the Second Day of Christmas). During the journey, his page is about to give up the struggle against the cold weather, but is enabled to continue by following the king's footprints, step for step, through the deep snow. The legend is based on the life of the historical Saint Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia or Svatý Václav in Czech (907–935). The name Wenceslas is a Latinised version of the old Czech language "Venceslav".

But Messaline doesn't want to moore more interfere into this story ... unless ....... :tejeqteje:

Perhaps that was it this manuscript ?
précisément!:headbang:
The legend is based on the life of the historical Saint Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia or Svatý Václav in Czech (907–935). The name Wenceslas is a Latinised version of the old Czech language "Venceslav".
Oh, I think you are going to like this story.:icon_popcorn:
But Messaline doesn't want to moore more interfere into this story ... unless
Go ahead (just don't point out too many errors:oops:)

Chapter 1 April 4, 2018

Dr. Moore was swiftly walking the several blocks to where she was staying in Oxford. She went west on Broad and then North by St Mary Magdalen church and the Martyrs Monument.
Madiosi-2019-175-Barb-Oxford Martyr.jpg
Turning in an alley near Balliol College, she came to a three-story townhouse. She rang the bell and, in a moment, it was answered by a tall, thin, rather handsome and well dressed gentleman in his early seventies. Barb jumped into his arms and gave Sir Geoffrey Chaucer a long, wet kiss! Still in good shape, despite his age, the librarian carried her into the flat and set her down.

“I’d like to believe that was because I’m so handsome and sexy,” he deadpanned. “But knowing you, that kind of passion must come from something academic.”

“Maybe it is because I find you so handsome and sexy, Geoff,” she smiled coyly.

“Come on, Barb. Tell me what you’ve found.”

“Later,” she said kissing him lightly. “I’ve been a very bad girl.”

“Oh?” said Geoff. “How bad?”

“Looked into files that I didn’t have advanced permission to see. I think I need a spanking.”

Geoff was well used to Barb’s interest in being spanked. In fact, he also was strongly aroused at spanking a lovely young lady like Barb. So, he was nothing loath to bowing to her wishes. Besides, after a good spanking, Barb was always incredibly passionate in bed.

Later, he was lying in bed with a naked Dr. Moore cuddled in his arms, her head resting on his chest. As he stroked her soft brown hair, he raised the issue.

“Come now, Williams’ Professor of Medieval History (he knew she loved hearing her new title – and he loved saying it), What did you find? I know that much passion wasn’t inspired by my aged and failing body. You could only be this excited by something historical and very special.”

Looking up at Geoff with deep brown eyes, Barb said, “You underestimate yourself, Geoffrey.”

He just looked back.

“But I will admit that something else did help stoke my fires.”

“And that was?”

“The Emperors’ Treasure!”

Geoff looked at her with astonishment! “You’ve found Barbarossa’s hoard?”

Besides, after a good spanking, Barb was always incredibly passionate in bed.

Otherwise, I’m no fun at all ... ;)

“Come now, Williams’ Professor of Medieval History (he knew she loved hearing her new title

Does have a nice ring to it, don’t you think? :p

William who? :confused:

I don’t remember ever being spanked and bedded by a William ... :devil:

But Messaline doesn't want to moore more interfere into this story ... unless ....... :tejeqteje:

Unless I invite her to be spanked and join me in bed ? :tits:

Does have a nice ring to it, don’t you think?
William who?
I don’t remember ever being spanked and bedded by a William ... :devil:
I'm sure you would never use your spectacular charms to obtain academic advancement!:eek:

But you might be thankful for recognition earned!:fuck:

Barb jumped into his arms and gave Sir Geoffrey Chaucer a long, wet kiss!

It's curious that Barb seems more to like old men rather than younger'ones ...
She prefers perhaps young women ... :D
It's true that in France we say :
"C'est dans les vieux pots que l'on fait la bonne soupe ! " ( It's in the old pots that we make the best soup !" ):p

It's curious that Barb seems more to like old men rather than younger'ones ...
She prefers perhaps young women ... :D
It's true that in France we say :
"C'est dans les vieux pots que l'on fait la bonne soupe ! " ( It's in the old pots that we make the best soup !" ):p
Let's see? A 71 year old English gentleman and a 27 year old French mademoiselle; 44 year range in one story? Sounds like Barb!

Chapter 2

Geoffrey Chaucer was the only child of a moderately renowned English Poetry Professor at Balliol College, Oxford. His father’s love of the early English poets and the coincidence of his surname with the greatest of these led him to name his son Geoffrey. Unfortunately, though the son had many talents, writing poetry was not among them. In fact, despite Herculean efforts, Geoffrey had never managed to write a passable line of poetry in his life. To the oft-repeated questions about his poetry, he had learned to modestly demure. Over time he became inured to these small humiliations.

However, Geoffrey was endowed with a steel-trap memory and an uncanny ability to organize and retrieve information. Over the years this allowed him to develop an encyclopedic knowledge in many areas of the Humanities. This in turn had stood him well in his chosen field, Libraries. Twenty-one years ago, just before he turned fifty, Geoffrey has reached the top of his career by being named the Head Librarian at the Bodleian in Oxford. The holder of this position is jocularly known as "Bodley's Librarian.” As the director of oldest and second largest Library in the United Kingdom, and one of the most renowned Libraries in the World, he had obtained his life’s goal.
Madiosi-2019-176-Bodelian Director.jpg
Fourteen years ago, his name had been placed on the New Year Honours list by a senior Minister who had studied under Geoffrey twenty-five years earlier and never forgotten his demanding leadership and gentle qualities. Geoffrey wryly liked to note that, though his name’s sake did “write some doggerel, he was never a Knight Bachelor.”

Five years ago, to Geoffrey’s utter astonishment, he was raised to a KBE.

It would seem that Sir Geoffrey had achieved everything he could want in life. But there was something missing. He was terribly lonely. A life-long bachelor, he had never been able to connect with the Ladies. Painfully shy around attractive women, never able to make the first move, he had numerous female friends, but, other than a very few unproductive dates, he had always been alone.

Then, four years ago, Dr. Moore arrived to do some research. They hit it off instantly. She enjoyed his incredible knowledge, wry wit and gentle manners. An extremely attractive young woman, Barbara had had to fend off more than her share of very rude and very groping senior academics in her student life and early career. She was steadfast in refusing to use her physical charms for advancement. She immediately recognized and appreciated Chaucer’s quiet, sweetness. On his part, Geoffrey was energized by the brilliance and charm of the beautiful young scholar.

They spent much time together, discussing her work, and history in general. They would spend hours in the evening at his favorite pub, The Turf Tavern, sipping Riesling and real ale and talking dirt on inferior colleagues. Geoffrey was much too shy and too intimidated by the age difference (she was less than half his age), to make any moves.

Barb was less inhibited and developed a deepening affection for the older man. Over several months, this attraction became more physical. One evening, after several glasses of wine, she insisted on walking him home to his flat. Once there, she took charge and soon they were both naked in bed and making slow and wonderful love together.

Over the last three-and-one-half years, they had maintained, with surprisingly little effort, a long-distance affair. Their mutual intellectual interests gave them plenty to communicate about during the long periods of separation. Geoffrey was happier than any time in his life and thankful for any time they could be together. Barbara was busy with her meteoric career, but nevertheless was impatient with their times apart and frequently found excuses to visit Oxford, the Bodleian and Geoff. When they did get together, they quickly made up for the time of separation.

Back
Top Bottom