My 3D works regarding forced labour in mine

Go to CruxDreams.com
The first attempt at creating a scene with the new models:

I learned how to use the fluid simulation in Blender and you can see where I used that functionality :)

I'm not quite satisfied with the textures, however, especially how the dirt layer or the trouser looks. But I can use this scene as a point of reference and keep improving or even replacing them in future.

(Edit) I was surprised to find out that the colour I see on my iPad is way different than what I see on my PC. The former looked way too yellow which makes the result even less satisfying for me. Probably I should take sometime to experiment with different colour management options soon.

Very cool. Yes, you probably have a color management problem. Also, for indoor renders, try to lower the gamma correction and maybe increase the exposure value.
Depending on the render engine: lower value = higher exposure.

The first attempt at creating a scene with the new models:

SauJzlO.jpg

(Image is hosted on Imgur)

I learned how to use the fluid simulation in Blender and you can see where I used that functionality :)

I'm not quite satisfied with the textures, however, especially how the dirt layer or the trouser looks. But I can use this scene as a point of reference and keep improving or even replacing them in future.

(Edit) I was surprised to find out that the colour I see on my iPad is way different than what I see on my PC. The former looked way too yellow which makes the result even less satisfying for me. Probably I should take sometime to experiment with different colour management options soon.

This is superb work!

The portrayal of degradation and humiliation is palpable.

Very cool. Yes, you probably have a color management problem. Also, for indoor renders, try to lower the gamma correction and maybe increase the exposure value.
Depending on the render engine: lower value = higher exposure.
Thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to wrap my head around 3D art so I don't even clearly understand if I should touch the gamma setting while I'm using Filmic tonemapper. But you are right that I have a problem somewhere in my colour management setup, which better be fixed before I spend more time on my work.

This is superb work!

The portrayal of degradation and humiliation is palpable.
Thanks! I'm glad that you liked the setting. I tend to focus on degradation and humiliation more than physical pain when it comes to D/s fantasies and it looks like you may have a similar taste on this matter.

I just wish I could be satisfied with the quality of my works as much as with the subject matter of them :)

P.S.: I just checked the image with my laptop and it looks much closer to how the iPad displays it. I suppose it means that the problem could be in my monitor calibration which unfortunately means that all the textures I've created so far may look more yellow than I intended.

Last edited:
Good scene design, at least. It's nice that we can make what we will of the leash holder - are they looking at her or away? Contemptuous or pitiful? Heck, male or female? I know you have uour own preferred answers, but the picture itself is nicely flexible.

Good scene design, at least. It's nice that we can make what we will of the leash holder - are they looking at her or away? Contemptuous or pitiful? Heck, male or female? I know you have uour own preferred answers, but the picture itself is nicely flexible.
Thanks! And I can gaurantee you that my future renders will retain that flexibility as long as I'm stuck with other matters than creating the shirt for the overseer. :)

An initial attempt to improve my previous render:

wB0pqFW.jpg

Aside from the colour problem that I described, I was much disappointed with the previous render result because I felt it to be a huge step backward in terms of realism. So I set out to identify the problem and here's what I found so far. I know that there are quite a few people on CF who are interested in 3D artwork. So I'm going to share some of the things that I found for those who are still learning it like myself:

The Lighting

I heard people say that it is the lighting that can make or break a render and now I think I understand what they meant. The biggest problem with the previous render turned out to be an inadequate lighting setup. Probably there could be some remaining problems with the current lighting but I think it's a huge improvement over the previous one.

The most glaring errour was with an additional light source I added in front of the character which erased much of the skin details and made the overall render look flat. I did it because the area between the legs looked way too dark. But adding an arbitrary light source that doesn't correspond to a physical counterpart (e.g. a lamp object hanging on the beam) can give an impression that the scene is fake.

And more importantly, it's the contrast between light and shadow, or glossy and dry areas that reveals such details. So, when you try to make everything bright, you will lose much of such details. I didn't know that before so it was the biggest lesson I learned from fixing this render.

It was difficult to resist an urge to show off some of the models and textures on which I've spent much time and effort. For example, I know that the details on the boots can be quite impressive if I put more light on them. But now I understand that I should accept the fact that I must sacrifice some details to make more important ones to stand out.

The Angle

Although I found out that it was the extra light source which was causing such a problem, I couldn't figure out how to fix it properly. I tried to put more lamps or max out exposure but it only made the scene even more unrealistic.

Out of frustration, I began to move the characters around until I hit a certain spot which immediately improved the lighting by quite a large margin. Now, not only the problem with the shady area between the legs was fixed, but also this particular camera angle gave the outline of my character very nice highlited area, restoring some of the details lost in the previous setup. It also made the depth of field effect more prominent, as you can see from the right side of the image.

In short, I learned that sometimes a lighting problem can be fixed by simply moving or rotating things around until they hit the right spot.

Branching Path Tracing

As a beginner of 3D art, there are a lot of things still that I don't understand, and the path integrator option on Blender was one of such things. After I switched to Filmic tone mapper (Filmic Blender, to be specific) and physically based light presets (Extra Lights Blender addon), I had much trouble with making the lights sufficiently bright for the scene. I couldn't just crank up the gamma or brightness as it would be defeating the purpose of using such a setup.

I still don't understand the root cause of this problem, but switching to BPT at least mitigated the problem much, as well as enhancing other aspects of the render at the cost of increased render time.

The current image is a result of almost 8 hours of rendering but it still shows a lot of 'fireflies' as you can see it above. But at least I have a good idea of what settings I should try to tweak to fix that problem. And Blender provides an AI based denoise feature, which I would have applied to the image had Blender not crashed shortly after when the rendering was done.

Textures

I suspected it could be the dirt and whipmarks texture that I created with my insufficient skills that made the previous render look so dull. So, I rendered without that layer to confirm my suspicion and it turned out I was right about it. While hiding much of the skin details, it didn't provide interesting details of its own. So, learning how to create an alternative dirt/whipmarks texture without such a problem will be my next immediate goal in this project.

On a side note, I also changed the texture on the pants of the overseer. Previously, I mistakenly turned off the normal channel on Substance Painter so it looked a bit less realistic. And I changed the colour to orange, to make the overseer resemble a garbage worker, because those slaves in my setting are treated that way.

I know that the pants still don't look too realistic. But it can be mitigated later by adding some believable wrinkles. It's just that I've been too lazy to spend enough time to enhance that part but I'll do that eventually. I just wish I knew there's a much better way to create clothes in Blender before I started working on the model. Maybe I'll rework them later, especially in case I may decide to make a movie clip with those assets.

Things like clothes or fluid sims are one of the few advantages of using Blender instead of Daz Studio for such an artwork, so I better try to exploit the fact.

Pixel Filter

I also did an experiment with pixel filter setting by giving the pixel width a very low value (1px). It certainly made the skin bumps more noticeable, but probably it was a bit too much as you can see from the harsh looking areas on the shins or from the jagged hair strands. I'll go with a slightly higher value the next time and see what happens.

Hardware

As I mentioned above, it took 8 hours to achieve that result. Probably I could optimize the settings further, but now I feel that I'm literally trading off the lifespan of my graphic card for those renders. When the render process is running, the whole computer becomes almost unusable and I can even smell something burning. Probably I should consider renting a render farm for final renders. That way, it may even be possible to make short movie clips not just static images while avoiding burning out my graphic card too soon.

Monitor Calibration

As mentioned in my previous posts, I found that my desktop monitor shows images in quite different colours than what my other laptop or iPad does. To solve the problem, I learned how to install a correct colour profile and calibrate my monitor.

Unfortunately, it turned out that it wasn't sufficient to really fix the problem and I'm still having much difficulty in making my textures or renders to show up in other devices as I intended.

I suppose there's no remedy because my monitor is a cheap one. I didn't intend to do any serious art related works when I purchased it and I'm quite poor to spend much on hardwares if it's not absolutely necessary.

So, I just gave up on this problem and decided to take the final render to my laptop to perform some colour correction before posting them here. It's not a perfect solution, but I can't think of anything better at the moment.

Final Words

What I wrote above wasn't intended to serve as advices from an 3D expert since I'm clearly a beginner still. It's just that I'm vastly enjoying the learning process and want to share some of the progress I made along the journey.

As mentioned above, my next goal would be finding out how to create better dirt/whipmarks textures and I'll probably start working on it soon. But probably I better give some love to my story thread before that, since I haven't written anything for couple of weeks because I've been too engaged with this 3D project.

After all that work, It's kind of awkward if I say I prefer the first one, isn't it?
Of course, you are free to like or dislike whatever part of my work, as I'm free to create it the way I like it myself :)

P.S.: I forgot to mention that the image is hosted on Imgur as with all the other full-sized images in my last post.

Last edited:
I had spent the weekend trying to improve the dirt texture so I can bring it back to my render. I think now I've learned enough to create a passable one in Substance Painter but for some reason, it still looks terribly in Blender. This is how it looks in Substance Painter now:

N2U3Gp2.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

I suppose I need to do some experiment with small renders to figure out the cause of the problem.

Aside from working on the texture, I also learned how to render it on a render farm. It costs money but now I can render a scene in less than an hour which would have taken more than a day with my PC. Such efficiency means it's feasible to make short movie clips when I'm done with the assets too. I already know how to make animations in Blender but I couldn't even think of making one with a scene like that, as it would take months with my PC.

Even though it was a setback, the frustration encouraged me to get back to writing to clear my head, at least. So you can expect to see a new chapter of my story sometime this week... well, if there's anyone who's waiting for it that is :p

Made another test render with the new dirt texture and lighting setup:

wTZ27bP.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

The piss pool will probably look alright when I make a final version with more number of samples. But I doubt it will also solve the problem with the hair. There's definitely something wrong about it, but I don't know what exactly is wrong about the settings. I suppose it will need some more experiments to pinpoint the issue.

I know you must feel tired of seeing (almost) the same render over and over by now. But now I believe I have fixed most of the glaring errors in materials now, so this version will probably be the last one before the final render:

GhfNZTa.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

I will try to improve the hair if I can, and I'm going to create a whip object to attach to the overseer's belt. Once it is done, I'll make final renders (from different cameras) based on this version and move on to create other scenes. (I know that the wrinkles on the pants can be improved, but I will wait until Blender 2.83 to work on that since it will provide a very nice feature for that purpose.)

Fortunately, I won't need to do the same render that many times like I did because most of the materials will be reused as they are in their current form in future.

With most of the known issues with the scene fixed now, I can spent time for creating renders from different angles now.

Here's a close up render of the same scene:

k4gh12v.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

I found that the problem with the hair was really a skin issue. The sub surface scattering values were very off, so it even affected the hair particles. After fixing the problem, I think both the hair and skin look a bit more realistic now.

The image is rather grainy, but it's just because I don't have enough patient to wait another 4-5 hours or enough money to run it on a render farm. :)

So we lose the pissing (which wasn't looking great aniwau) and the guard, but in it 's place we get to see nice bet ail on her brand, leash and punishments.

(looking at her face, i can sort of see where the "apes" thing comes from. It 's almost like she's one of those aliens from Star Trek wit h non make-up budget.)

So we lose the pissing (which wasn't looking great aniwau) and the guard, but in it 's place we get to see nice bet ail on her brand, leash and punishments.

(looking at her face, i can sort of see where the "apes" thing comes from. It 's almost like she's one of those aliens from Star Trek wit h non make-up budget.)
It's just a different render of the same scene, so the parts you mentioned are still there. It's difficult to create a scene but once it's done, it's just a matter of moving the camera to different locations, hitting the render button, and waiting several hours to get a new render from a different angle.

Personally, I'm more or less satisfied with how the piss looks now, or at least less bothered by, compared to some other areas where I haven't put sufficient attention yet.

Last edited:
While I was preparing my scene for the final render, I accidentally screwed up the main character beyond repair. So, I had to recreate it from the preset and it was only because of some obscure Blender plugin that I managed to save the texture set.

I couldn't save the hair settings however, so I need to create a new hairstyle from this:

6vPv3Pv.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

The good news is, there were quite a few things that I've learned since when I created the old character. So, even though the preset is the same, I managed to fix a few errors and make some improvements along the way.

On a side note, I can't help but noticing how much better the character looks with HDRI compared to how it does within my scene. Obviously, I need to learn a lot more to create lighting setup that can match HDRI in its quality.

Oh, by the way, I also made a whip to be used with the final render of the scene :) :

RYKrdwC.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

The damage seems to be more significant than I initially thought it was. I've spent the past two days trying to save as much as I could, and I managed to create a new model with bits from the old one. However, a major part of the texture project as well as the scene itself turned out to be beyond repair and need to be redone.

So, I won't be able to create any more render of my previous scene as well as a new one which I had briefly worked on before I lost with with the rest. I made one test render though, which I'll post here for the archiving purpose:

TO6HnGb.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

I know how horribly unrealistic the body looks, and actually that was why I abandoned the idea of creating an anorexic, unattractive girl when I created the new model. This time, I just tried to make an ordinary looking Asian girl with realistic body proportions instead.

The model looks like this at the moment. I think she will look decent once I add hairs and eyebrows, and create proper textures:

Wwz1TXu.jpg

(Image hosted on Imgur)

It will probably take sometime before I can make another render of a real scene. I'm devoting almost all my free time to restore the project, so hopefully it won't be too long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom