my art for your feedback, please

Go to CruxDreams.com

specimeat

Assistant executioner
Well... i'm nervous now! :p

OK, i've been toying with DAZ 3D for a while and this is my first attempt at a self-portrait. Don't expect those wonderful photo-realistic pics that you guys do, because i'm still learning (self-teaching, actually...) and i don't have the technical knowledge or even the technical means ---just a laptop with a standard graphics card, pretty much like... in the attached picture. :) Right now, i'm more interested in the story (i intend to create some graphic stories / novels) rather than "technical perfection" ---only because if i wait to achieve something remotely close to technical perfection, it can take years without showing anything. However, i'm obviously fully open to any feedback that will help me to improve!

And... since this is an attempt at a self-portrait to start with... don't expect one of those gorgeous hot girls in the pics here, just... well, me. :( Don't worry, there will be lots of hot girls in my stories! But, hey, at least you know that this is quite realistic (and i needed it first as a "basic character".) Actually, i'm proud of how i have "nailed" my body (pun intended, of course ;) )! The face... well, it's close enough for me to know that it's me, but not so much that people would normally recognize me in the street. i'd like to boast that this is deliberate, but actually it's just my limited abilities!

Oh, and yes, it's Sunday and still hot here and i'm pretty much in that exact position in a very similar corner of home, wearing exactly that, just because i find it naughty! :p

ALL feedback is begged and very appreciated. Please be cruel so i can learn more! ;)
DAZ_me1_attempt_iOGL_show2.jpg

OK, i've been toying with DAZ 3D for a while and this is my first attempt at a self-portrait. Don't expect those wonderful photo-realistic pics that you guys do, because i'm still learning (self-teaching, actually...) and i don't have the technical knowledge or even the technical means ---just a laptop with a standard graphics card, pretty much like... in the attached picture. :) Right now, i'm more interested in the story (i intend to create some graphic stories / novels) rather than "technical perfection" ---only because if i wait to achieve something remotely close to technical perfection, it can take years without showing anything. However, i'm obviously fully open to any feedback that will help me to improve!

And... since this is an attempt at a self-portrait to start with... don't expect one of those gorgeous hot girls in the pics here, just... well, me. :( Don't worry, there will be lots of hot girls in my stories! But, hey, at least you know that this is quite realistic (and i needed it first as a "basic character".) Actually, i'm proud of how i have "nailed" my body (pun intended, of course ;) )! The face... well, it's close enough for me to know that it's me, but not so much that people would normally recognize me in the street. i'd like to boast that this is deliberate, but actually it's just my limited abilities!

Oh, and yes, it's Sunday and still hot here and i'm pretty much in that exact position in a very similar corner of home, wearing exactly that, just because i find it naughty! :p

ALL feedback is begged and very appreciated. Please be cruel so i can learn more! ;)
View attachment 903819
It looks a lot like you.... ;)

Please be cruel so i can learn more!
Yes, if you look like that, you're certainly just right to be tied up and whipped, maybe crucified, or even barbecued.
Is that cruel enough? :devil: Seriously, you could certainly put 'yourself' it lots of perilous positions,
and be very popular here.

There is no reason to get nervous...;)

I follow the other comments posted above.

If it is the purpose to create a 'basic character' to illustrate your stories, there could be another way (this is not intended as a comment on the pic you posted). The best and cheapest model, that is yourself. It is easy to take pics, or short videos from yourself in different poses, and store them on a data card, which is easy to conceal if it preferably should not fall into unwanted hands. You can still put a mask on your face, another head on it, work on the body, etc... to make you unrecognisable, or use the pic for a drawing. Of course, if you prefer working with DAZ, I should say : show us more, please!;)

The best and cheapest model, that is yourself. It is easy to take pics, or short videos from yourself in different poses, and store them on a data card, which is easy to conceal if it preferably should not fall into unwanted hands. You can still put a mask on your face, another head on it, work on the body, etc... to make you unrecognisable, or use the pic for a drawing.
Yep, but this would look super "unnatural" in a graphic story / graphic novel / whatever. That's why i needed a "digital me" to integrate it smoothly, without masks or anything! (Other than for COVID!!!) :p

I am just not an inherently cruel person - at least I don't think I am. If I had a criticism of your 3D self-portraits, I would wonder whether your legs really are that short, compared to the rest of your body, but really, how am I to know? You know you better than any of the rest of us. What I can say is that I think it is quite brave of you to portray yourself "realistically". I think most of us would be able to find things about our own bodies that we would like to "renovate" or stylize to make ourselves look better. You seem to have tried to portray yourself as you realistically see yourself. This is excellent, and I think it will only enhance your story, as we will get a more intimate idea of things really happening to you in the story. Beyond that, I think the facial expressions you give your 3D "you" are realistic and excellent. They show a vibrant real woman and your images have a kind of life that a lot of 3D images do not capture.

I have no doubt your technique and skill with the software will improve, but you have made a very good start here. I look forward to seeing more work from you. :)

I have no doubt your technique and skill with the software will improve, but you have made a very good start here. I look forward to seeing more work from you. :)
Thank You very much!
If I had a criticism of your 3D self-portraits, I would wonder whether your legs really are that short, compared to the rest of your body, but really, how am I to know? You know you better than any of the rest of us.
If i were thin, i'd be quite petite: barely 1.50 m / 4'11" with a small-ish build. That means that my legs are not very long and, when you're "petite and fat", there's this visual effect making them look shorter, especially in certain positions and "camera angles" ---just like it happens in real life. You'll see how it changes when i post something with "me" standing up. i'm actually more worried by the "giraffe neck effect" that is apparent is some angles, because that doesn't happen in real life and...
What I can say is that I think it is quite brave of you to portray yourself "realistically". I think most of us would be able to find things about our own bodies that we would like to "renovate" or stylize to make ourselves look better. You seem to have tried to portray yourself as you realistically see yourself. This is excellent, and I think it will only enhance your story, as we will get a more intimate idea of things really happening to you in the story.
...and "that's my point." i started with this for the realism and self-identification. Almost every actress / model out there, real or virtual, are so "perfect" that... "self-identifying with them" is difficult and kinda uncomfotable or even mildly depressing. So WTF, i decided to create my own character which i can identify with, because "it's me", or an only slightly modified version of me, close enough to keep the "self-identification" alive. Most possibly not much pleasing to the eye, but you can bet it's going to be "alive"...
Beyond that, I think the facial expressions you give your 3D "you" are realistic and excellent. They show a vibrant real woman and your images have a kind of life that a lot of 3D images do not capture.
...as you've sensibly noticed, and i've loved it. Yeah, this is not casual. i've put a lot of effort in this, with gusto, because if the entire thing doesn't "feel alive" (or dead when it must be dead! :p ), it's pointless to me.

My two cents: 3D softwares simplify many aspects of picture making, other aspects are complicated regardless of the media used.
A crucial suggestion that I have recived many years ago when I started with 3D (with zero previous experience) is: pay a lot of attention to the shadows, they play an essential role in conveying the "message" and they can make (or break) an image. That means: learn a lot of things about photography, about the various types of 3D shadows, according to the rendering engine you use, and experiment a lot.
A Google search about "3 point lighting" will certainly help.

Also, have a look at this tutorial:

BTW, basic tutorials by DAZ are brief, well done and helpful.

Good luck with your art!

I also think you are off to a good start. And for some inexplicable reason, I have a soft spot for girls with shorter legs so that aspect actually made me enjoy your work better.

If I can add anything constructive, I'd like to suggest you to spend some time to learn what HDRI lighting and PBR materials mean and how you can use them in Daz. Although you don't have to make everything realistic in an artwork, you will likely to find such knowledge handy if you want to make it look more realistic.

View attachment 903819
I love the idea of you incorporating yourself into your art.

Back
Top Bottom