Need Some Advice for Hosting Videos

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hi guys;

I switched software for creating the SL video's that I have been posting. I find that even in WMV format the files are pretty big and I don't want to overwhelm CF.

So I need a good free hosting site for them that I can link my CF posts to. My issue is that having been stalked once because of my online activities (the old Yahoo Crux group) I'd like a site that requires virtually no personal identifying information but is also not a trap. Any suggestions?

kisses

willowfall

a curious question - why wmv? It's very Microsoft dependent, has no good 3rd party support (vlcs wmv support, well, leaves room for improvement) and also isn't optimal at compression. What stops you from using mp4 or mkv containers with either av1 or h.264 as compression format?

As for hosting - well, it probably depends on what you are looking for. Free is never really free - you have to live with other peoples ads and other peoples content judgement, Are these second life videos of yours generating such massive traffic? Have you thought about mega or similar sites that are used in the community?

Oh - and what do you mean with "is not a trap"?

a curious question - why wmv? [/QUOTE]

Because the software I am using only produces in 4 formats and .WMV is the least memory hog of the 4.

As for hosting - well, it probably depends on what you are looking for. Free is never really free - you have to live with other peoples ads and other peoples content judgement, Are these second life videos of yours generating such massive traffic? Have you thought about mega or similar sites that are used in the community?

Oh - and what do you mean with "is not a trap"?

When uploading videos to CF we want to keep them as small as possible to not generate more costs for this site. If the request to see it can be sent to another site then obviously that it best.

Ads don't bother me but I don't want to put any money into this I do this just to create content for the CF community and no other reason.

I do eDiscovery for a living, there are exactly 2 types of computers in the world, those we know are compromised and those we think aren't. The larger and more used the site the more likely it is to be targeted and if hackers can get around security at places like Amazon (and they have) or the DoD (ditto) they can break into almost any site they choose to.

I have no desire to be compromised on the internet because I would then forever not be able to work in my field. To say nothing of if you had ever been stalked you know why I don't want to repeat that experience.

Thank you everybody for the input.

kisses

willowfall

I and some others are using Imgur.com. You don't have to sign up (although I have--it's free either way). I am always careful to check off the "Mature" and "Hidden" buttons so that prying eyes won't report me to Homeland Security.

After the changes to CF, Imgur wouldn't work well. Then, suddenly this week, it works again. I don't know if some website parameters changed or what, but I'm happy it's now working. It's easy to use. One important caveat: a video can't be longer than 60 seconds unless you pay to be a member. That might be a game-breaker in your instance.

Another hosting service (as anonymous as Imgur but with larger limits) is uploadfiles.io. The bad thing here is that you can't post a link for a video--all that shows is the link, not the video itself (as in Imgur). The reader then has to follow the link. (Gracious me! That involves work!)

Back
Top Bottom