Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Just last week, I read even a bit more of "human madness" about "Brothers in Arms":

The burying of "the Red Baron" Manfred von Richthofen 102 years ago with military honors by his war enemies from the Royal British and Royal Canadian Air Force:

Are we human beings not all really crazy?

And then, this "old" song from the USA and its pictures made me almost cry again yesterday:

I know this guy is a lot older than me,but I really like the songs of Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

A Salty Dog, great album, in my opinion the best ever done by Procol Harum. Many good songs in very differents style without sacrificing the sense of unity in the whole album.
I like a lot The Wreck of the Hesperus too.

A Salty Dog, great album, in my opinion the best ever done by Procol Harum. Many good songs in very differents style without sacrificing the sense of unity in the whole album.
I like a lot The Wreck of the Hesperus too.
Yes, this is one of the best Procol Harum albums, along with the 1968 and 1975 albums. On the 1969 album, Matthew Fischer was especially noted as a composer, organist and vocalist, and after the album's release he left the band. Two of his songs from this album are my favorites, and Pilgrim's Progress is the greatest masterpiece of the band, in my opinion.

Procol Harum - Pilgrim's Progress

Asia(the band, not the continent)'s hit song "Heat of the Moment" has been quite a mystery to me. I like catchy tunes in general, so I don't have any problem with that aspect of the song. But what has always baffled me was just how awful the guitar solo at the end sounds:

I know I may sound conceited by saying this. But it's not just bad, but it's almost like they visited The Guitar Center to grab an arbitrary guitar kid there and made him or her play that part after giving just 5 minutes of practicing time. It starts relatively ok but the pitch is off, and so is the rhythym and at the end it sounds like the guitarist has run out of the ideas and is at a loss what to play next.

So my surprise was great when I found out the solo was played by no other than Steve Howe who is sometimes mentioned among the top guitar players.

I just thought he must have had been completely stoned when he recorded that and forgot about it. But today, I stumbled across this article which may give me some clues:
”The one person who remained flatly unconvinced of the song’s merits was the man to whom it would fall to play said opening guitar motif. “Yes, once the song was written all we had to do was persuade Steve [Howe] to play it,” Wetton chuckles.

“In fairness to Steve,” adds Downes, with a thin smile of triumph, “it was a very, very un-Steve part. He definitely felt it was too poppy for his taste, and it was a bit of a struggle, but eventually he stepped up to the plate. And, of course, it became our biggest hit.”

Palmer’s recollection is that the band recorded Heat Of The Moment "at 2am, really late in the morning”, perhaps subconsciously attempting to undervalue its importance for the benefit of Howe.

PrPr's posts of nostalgic films of London in the 1950s made me think where I'd rather be
For a moment, I thought Youtube introduced some sort of a machine learning translation for their videos, seeing Korean subtitles along with the English one. :doh:

I wonder why they don't write lyrics like that anymore, or most of songwriters, at least. I don't want to listen to songs about women and sex all day long because I have CF for that.

Anway, as to the old songs that I like for their lyrics, there are simply too many for me to choose just one. So, I'll just pick something that first came up in my mind, and here it is:

Oh my name it ain't nothin'
My age it means less
The country I come from
Is called the Midwest
I was taught and brought up there
The laws to abide
And that land that I live in
Has God on its side

Oh, the history books tell it
They tell it so well
The cavalries charged
The Indians fell
The cavalries charged
The Indians died
Oh, the country was young
With God on its side

The Spanish-American
War had its day
And the Civil War, too
Was soon laid away
And the names of the heroes
I was made to memorize
With guns in their hands
And God on their side

The First World War, boys
It came and it went
The reason for fighting
I never did get
But I learned to accept it
Accept it with pride
For you don't count the dead
When God's on your side

The Second World War
Came to an end
We forgave the Germans
And then we were friends
Though they murdered six million
In the ovens they fried
The Germans now, too
Have God on their side

I've learned to hate the Russians
All through my whole life
If another war comes
It's them we must fight
To hate them and fear them
To run and to hide
And accept it all bravely
With God on my side

But now we got weapons
Of chemical dust
If fire them, we're forced to
Then fire, them we must
One push of the button
And a shot the world wide
And you never ask questions
When God's on your side

Through many a dark hour
I've been thinkin' about this
That Jesus Christ was
Betrayed by a kiss
But I can't think for you
You'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side.

So now as I'm leavin'
I'm weary as Hell
The confusion I'm feelin'
Ain't no tongue can tell
The words fill my head
And fall to the floor
That if God's on our side
He'll stop the next war

AAAAAH! Comme moi-même, un autre 'maniac fan' pour Mylène!

But I am afraid, she had already sold her soul for her look at the "Stade de France" in 2009. I had seen her 5 years before and she looked much older in 2004 than in 2009, so she must have had the best plastic surgeon of the world or she had a pact with the devil. How can you only look like this on your 48th birthday?

I chose something different this time. It feels a bit odd that now I can call songs from a 90s metal band as "nostalgia music", but I wouldn't object if it gives me an excuse to mention Savatage here.

I think they were one of the most underrated rock bands from the era, considering how unique their music was. Their trademark style with dramatic vocal counterpoints can be heard from the last part of this song, for example:

I normally post one song at a time, but I felt it a disservice to mention of Savatage only to choose a song which doesn't feature Jon Oliva, the unquestionable heart and core of the band. So, I'll make an exception to post another one, which is also my favourite of them:

(If you like the song, I'd encourage you to search for the whole album because it's one of those "rock opera" albums like Pink Floyd's "The Wall", or The Who's "Tommy", which gets much better when listened to in its entirety.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom