Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
I chose something different this time. It feels a bit odd that now I can call songs from a 90s metal band as "nostalgia music", but I wouldn't object if it gives me an excuse to mention Savatage here.

I think they were one of the most underrated rock bands from the era, considering how unique their music was. Their trademark style with dramatic vocal counterpoints can be heard from the last part of this song, for example:

I normally post one song at a time, but I felt it a disservice to mention of Savatage only to choose a song which doesn't feature Jon Oliva, the unquestionable heart and core of the band. So, I'll make an exception to post another one, which is also my favourite of them:

(If you like the song, I'd encourage you to search for the whole album because it's one of those "rock opera" albums like Pink Floyd's "The Wall", or The Who's "Tommy", which gets much better when listened to in its entirety.)
Maybe the most important band ever to come out of Tampa. Though never as big as the flashier California hair bands, they are sighted as influence by many hard core metal bands. Founder Jon Oliva and producer-songwriter Paul O'Neill co-founded Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Happy Rhodes, an American singer-songwriter who has had a small, but devoted following for decades.

(she is in fact a distant relative of the infamous imperialist, Cecil Rhodes)

She doesn't have any 'music videos' as she never had the money for that. So there's audio only and live recordings.

From the 'girl with guitar' phase, 'The Revelation' (1986)

A live performance from 1996

'When The Rain Came Down'

'Words weren't made for cowards'

San Angelo by Marty Robbins

North of the border of Old Mexico
I rode one day to the cowtown of San Angelo
A hot sun was glowing, a warm wind was blowing
Still not as warm as the lips that I waited to kiss.

Cheeks that were blushing red roses to shame
Lips that were fresher than flowers when kissed by the rain
Dark eyes that sparkled much brighter than diamonds
She was a beauty, Secora was my lover’s name.

I met her down in Laredo.
Everyone there in this border town called her The Rose.
Mexican cowboys drank to Secora.
Everyone loved her but I was the one that she chose,
An outlaw above all the rest. Now my heart beats so madly.
Soon she will be at my side.

She sent a message a long time ago
Secora had promised to meet me in San Angelo
I was aware of the chance I was taking
I was an outlaw but great was my love for this girl.

I must be with her I can't stay away
Nights spent without her are lonely and so are the days
If it means death then I'll have to chance it
Only a few moments more and she'll be in my arms

At ten o' clock in the morning
I tied my horse and I started to walk down the street
Where was Secora, had she forgotten
This was the day and the hour that she wanted to meet
But something is wrong with our plans and I fear death awaits me
Here on this hot dusty street.

Up on a housetop but still I can see
There hides a man with a rifle, it's pointed at me
I might escape from the man with the rifle
But there are others just like him that I cannot see.

Back of each window the click of a gun
Die if I stay and my love for her won't let me run
Where is Secora, will my eyes see her
Then in a moment she runs from a door down the street.

"Up on your horse!” she is crying
"Ride out of town; it's a trap and they're waiting for you!"
But if I ride out, she must ride with me
Then in a moment I know that our chances are gone
For a bullet is well on its way and it finds my Secora
She dies (cries) as she falls in my arms.

*in another version*

(Over and over her soft lips did say
"Now we're together, I won't let them take you away"
One little sigh, her little lips tremble
Then it was over, Secora had drifted away.)

Tears dim my vision but plainly I see
The ranger that killed her is standing there waiting for me
I walk to meet him, my one thought is “beat him”
He deserves death and I swear that this ranger will die

I beat his draw and I shot him
Shot him six times just as fast as the bullets would fly
My gun is empty or more I would shoot him
Now there are others just like him that want me to die
Their bullets are coming my way, how they hurt when they hit me
The pain makes me fall to the ground.

Gone is my strength, just the will left to fight
I hear the sound of the lead as it robs me of life
If I must die, let me find Secora
Let me hold on to her hand for the few moments left

Blindly I search and it isn't in vain
I touch the soft velvet hand and it eases the pain
Life is no more but we're together
Even in death she's my lover,
It's over,
Goodbye

That's my all-time favourite Christmas record :)

Merry Christmas to everybody at Cruxforums
And a very Merry Christmas to you Darkprincess69
Yes, this is a fantastic Christmas song, one of my favorites. Greg Lake's voice was one for the ages, he's is sadly missed. He was one of my favorite musicians, I followed him through his entire career, from his beginnings with King Crimson up until his untimely death.

And a very Merry Christmas to you Darkprincess69
Yes, this is a fantastic Christmas song, one of my favorites. Greg Lake's voice was one for the ages, he's is sadly missed. He was one of my favorite musicians, I followed him through his entire career, from his beginnings with King Crimson up until his untimely death.
Yeah I haven't listened to King Crimson in years - I have their album "Discipline" on CD - I may dig that out later :)

Yeah I haven't listened to King Crimson in years - I have their album "Discipline" on CD - I may dig that out later :)
"Discipline" is a great album, and was their first album after a seven hiatus. The first two King Crimson albums have Greg Lake in the lineup, as lead vocalist, and bassist. "In The Court Of The Crimson King" was their debut, and is easily one of the greatest debut albums in rock history. The second album is "In The Wake Of Poseidon". I cannot recommend these two classics highly enough. The musicians are brilliant, the songs are haunting, and Greg Lake's vocals are just pure magic. Greg's voice gave these songs a majestic sound. Here is an example:

This song is from 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'
It is called "Epitaph", and it is one of my all time favorites.

"Discipline" is a great album, and was their first album after a seven hiatus. The first two King Crimson albums have Greg Lake in the lineup, as lead vocalist, and bassist. "In The Court Of The Crimson King" was their debut, and is easily one of the greatest debut albums in rock history. The second album is "In The Wake Of Poseidon". I cannot recommend these two classics highly enough. The musicians are brilliant, the songs are haunting, and Greg Lake's vocals are just pure magic. Greg's voice gave these songs a majestic sound. Here is an example:

This song is from 'In The Court Of The Crimson King'
It is called "Epitaph", and it is one of my all time favorites.

Awesome stuff - took your advice to check these out - just been listening to "In The Court Of The Crimson King" on Youtube and yeah it's a really impressive work. I had heard the title track before but never the whole album. The first track, "21st Century Schizoid Man" did sound a tad familiar though, until I realised that the guitar riff reminded me a lot of Mike Oldfield's Taurus II, though over a decade earlier.

Great stuff, thanks :)

Last edited:
Awesome stuff - took your advice to check these out - just been listening to "In The Court Of The Crimson King" on Youtube and yeah it's a really impressive work. I had heard the title track before but never the whole album. The first track, "21st Century Schizoid Man" did sound a tad familiar though, until I realised that the guitar riff reminded me a lot of Mike Oldfield's Taurus II, though over a decade earlier.

Great stuff, thanks :)
You are welcome Darkprincess6, I am glad you liked them:) Good stuff.

Any Deep Purple fans here?
I consider them the best heavy rock band from the good old days. I love Sabbath & Led Zep, but I rate Purple above them:devil:
Let's go back to October 1975, and listen to a very underrated tune from the equally underrated album 'Come Taste The Band'. This album was released after the great Ritchie Blackmore left to form Rainbow. Tommy Bolin replaced Ritchie in the lineup, and many Purple fans did not accept him, and this album didn't sell well. I cannot understand why, this album is a gem. This lineup of Purple also included David Coverdale, and Glenn Hughes.

This song for me is the highlight of the album.

You Keep On Moving

Any Deep Purple fans here?
I consider them the best heavy rock band from the good old days. I love Sabbath & Led Zep, but I rate Purple above them:devil:
Let's go back to October 1975, and listen to a very underrated tune from the equally underrated album 'Come Taste The Band'. This album was released after the great Ritchie Blackmore left to form Rainbow. Tommy Bolin replaced Ritchie in the lineup, and many Purple fans did not accept him, and this album didn't sell well. I cannot understand why, this album is a gem. This lineup of Purple also included David Coverdale, and Glenn Hughes.

This song for me is the highlight of the album.

You Keep On Moving

Wonderful, -1975, when I was just 20 years old

My last post was about an album released in October 1975. Let's stay with October, and jump ahead to October 9, 1987 to visit Bruce Springsteen's 'Tunnel Of Love' album. This album seems to get lost among Bruce's numerous blockbuster albums for some reason. It doesn't get lost for me, it is my second favorite Springsteen album, 'Darkness On The Edge Of Town' being my favorite. I find every song on this album to be top notch, and I believe many are among his best written songs. Every time I listen to this masterpiece I feel it in deep in my soul, I actually get goosebumps listening to some songs.

One of the songs on this album is 'Tougher Than The Rest', and it was covered by the late Country artist Chris LeDoux in 1994. I bring this up, because back in '94 I had the pleasure to be slow dancing with the prettiest lady in my favorite country bar to the Chris LeDoux version of this song. She loved this song, and she had no idea that Bruce Springsteen wrote the song until I told her.

Out of all the brilliant songs on this album, the song 'One Step Up' is my favorite. Like many of the other songs it is poetic, emotional & eloquent.
"When I look at myself I don't see
The man I wanted to be
Somewhere along the line I slipped off track
I'm caught movin' one step up and two steps back"

'One Step Up'

Genesis - The Musical Box

Fleesh - The Musical Box
Great post Elephas. Genesis with Peter Gabriel fronting the band is my favorite version of Genesis. 'The Musical Box' is a great Prog song, very haunting. The album 'Nursery Cryme' is a great album with 'The Musical Box' being the opening track. This album made me a fan of Genesis, and Peter Gabriel.

Back
Top Bottom