Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
This version brings a lump to my throat ...

(skip to 2:00 for the start of the song)
Ah, one of my favourite anti-war songs :) I like Joan Baez version also, even though I'm not a great fan of her in general, being mostly a cover musician as it is the case with Judy Collins. But I can't deny that she did a brilliant cover of this particular song:

By the way, there's another of my favourites that I'm always reminded of when it comes to anti-war songs (or such songs that can bring a lump to my throat). It's a heart-wrenching account of an Australian soldier who had fought in the Battle of Gallipoli and returned without a leg:

There's another version I like more than this one, however, sung with a bit stronger pathos (and stronger accents, pronouncing "maimed" as "maheemed" or "man" as "mahn"). I've tried to search it on Youtube for sometime but I've been unsuccessful so far. If anyone know such a version, please let me know!

On a side note, there are two different 'Matilda songs' that I like beside this one. Maybe I should post them here sometime later.

I still haven't gotten over the fact that now I can freely post songs from the mid 90s in such a thread which is reserved for the 'oldies'.

When the alternative rock was all the rage, I was a bit apprehensive of the trend. Still, when the dust got settled I ended up with at least a few songs that I can number among my favourites, including this one:

I don't think that this has been posted yet!

I haven't heard of them before but I really like the harmony! I wish there were more videos of them (preferably playing other songs) on Youtube, but at least I found covers of this song from other musicians that I like, such as Linda Ronstadt or Dolly Parton.

Thanks for letting me know of such a beautiful song. :)

P.S.: On a side note, it struck me how familiar the melody sounded like but I couldn't figure out why. But now it occurred to me the opening verse is pretty similar to the one from a popular Korean song from the 90s:

Believe or not, K-Pop was not all about sexy girls shaking their hips at that time.

Last edited:
After the gold Rush is a song of the great Neil Young, on his second album named precsiely After the Gold rush.
I didn't know this cover by Prelude. not bad, nice voice, but too much "gentle", plain and without any real emotion.

The original version by Neil young is way better. If you don't know it, I suggest you have a listen.

There's another version I like more than this one, however, sung with a bit stronger pathos (and stronger accents, pronouncing "maimed" as "maheemed" or "man" as "mahn"). I've tried to search it on Youtube for sometime but I've been unsuccessful so far. If anyone know such a version, please let me know!

This may not be the one you're thinking of, but I'm most familiar with this version by the Pogues:

Last edited:
This may not be the version you're thinking of, but I'm most familiar with this version by the Pogues:
I like most of versions of the song, include this particular rendition :)

If I recall correctly, in the version I remember, the singer pronounced the line "carry my pack" as "carry me pack," and "the work to be done" as something like "worrrk to be done".

Maybe I better give another shot at listening to every video of that song on Youtube sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom