Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Ah, one of my favourite anti-war songs :) I like Joan Baez version also, even though I'm not a great fan of her in general, being mostly a cover musician as it is the case with Judy Collins. But I can't deny that she did a brilliant cover of this particular song:

By the way, there's another of my favourites that I'm always reminded of when it comes to anti-war songs (or such songs that can bring a lump to my throat). It's a heart-wrenching account of an Australian soldier who had fought in the Battle of Gallipoli and returned without a leg:

There's another version I like more than this one, however, sung with a bit stronger pathos (and stronger accents, pronouncing "maimed" as "maheemed" or "man" as "mahn"). I've tried to search it on Youtube for sometime but I've been unsuccessful so far. If anyone know such a version, please let me know!

On a side note, there are two different 'Matilda songs' that I like beside this one. Maybe I should post them here sometime later.

Is it the pogues version?

Love Aznavour. And so many french singers - reminds me so much of my childhood. Jacques Brel (ok Belgian) moustaqi, Barbara etc. And of course Francois Hardie.

I love him too, as most of the frenchies do. And of course Jacques Brel, the french definitely favorite belgian, and Georges Brassens (you need to be rather fluent in french to appreciate his marvelous lyrics and those of some others favorites of mine : Léo Ferré, Claude Nougaro, Barbara, Serge gainsbourg, Alain Bashung (another belgian by the way) and Françoise Hardy (not François -male first name- nor Hardie -adjective that means "bold" or "daring").

I love him too, as most of the frenchies do. And of course Jacques Brel, the french definitely favorite belgian, and Georges Brassens (you need to be rather fluent in french to appreciate his marvelous lyrics and those of some others favorites of mine : Léo Ferré, Claude Nougaro, Barbara, Serge gainsbourg, Alain Bashung (another belgian by the way) and Françoise Hardy (not François -male first name- nor Hardie -adjective that means "bold" or "daring").
Thank you - how could I forget Brassens!!! And Yves Duteil? And of course Charles Trenet! So many!! Current favourite is Zaz.

And thanks! My phone has a mind of its own when it comes to spellings!! Grrrrr.

Thanks Toma et al. This is such a great thread. If I may try to make a small contribution.

This always has me in tears. Here is a translation of the words.

Goodnight

Come here
I know you're tired, your eyes are getting small,
Let me embrace you tenderly and quietly,
it’s very late and it's time to sleep.

Lay your head
on my lap and let my hand
shake off the ghosts that worry and scare you,
close your eyes, for I’m watching over you from here.

Sleep quietly and tell me goodnight,
Let me take you to bed in my arms,
lie down close to me, you know you're not alone
as I tell you softly goodnight.

The moon is looking at you from the balcony and I know he's kissing you
nothing is important
until daybreak tomorrow
when the light will suddenly caress you.

Sleep quietly and tell me goodnight,
Let me take you to bed in my arms,
lie down close to me, you know you're not alone
as I tell you softly goodnight.
A very good night.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Life is change!

Back
Top Bottom