Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Love celtic music
You might like this, then. It was the theme from a tv series in the early 1980s about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. I don't remember the show itself (even though I seem to recall it was a little more nuanced than most of what passed for illustration of what was going on at that time on British tv), but I do remember this song.

You might like this, then. It was the theme from a tv series in the early 1980s about the Troubles in Northern Ireland. I don't remember the show itself (even though I seem to recall it was a little more nuanced than most of what passed for illustration of what was going on at that time on British tv), but I do remember this song.

Haven't seen Harrys Game but I heard of it.

Following on from looking for Stranglers music earlier (see the Passings thread), I fell down the Ian Dury rabbit-hole. Emerging later, happy-sad (what that man could do!), I want to post something but I really can't decide which song to go with. (I will do both!)

Lyrics below (well worth looking at!) for those who don't speak Cockney!

Good evening, I'm from Essex
In case you couldn't tell
My given name is Dickie,
I come from Billericay
And I'm doing very well

Had a love affair with Nina
In the back of my Cortina
A seasoned-up hyena
Could not have been more obscener
She took me to the cleaners
And other misdemeanours
But I got right up between her
Rum and her Ribena

Well, you ask Joyce and Vicki
If candy-floss is sticky
I'm not a blinking thicky
I'm Billericay Dickie
And I'm doing very well

I bought a lot of brandy
When I was courting Sandy
Took eight to make her randy
And all I had was shandy
Another thing with Sandy
What often came in handy
Was passing her a 'Mandy'
She didn't half go bandy

So you ask Joyce and Vicki
If I ever took the mickey
I'm not a flipping thicky
I'm Billericay dickie
And I'm doing very well

I'd rendezvous with Janet
Quite near the Isle of Thanet
She looked more like a gannet
She wasn't half a prannet
Her mother tried to ban it
Her father helped me plan it
And when I captured Janet
She bruised her pomegranate

If I ever shaped up tricky
I'm not a blooming thicky
I'm Billericay Dickie
And I'm doing very well

You should never hold a candle
If you don't know where it's been
The jackpot is in the handle
On a normal fruit machine

Who's their favourite brickie
I'm not a common thicky
I'm Billericay Dickie
And I'm doing very well

I know a lovely old toe-rag
Obliging and noblesse
Kindly, charming shag
From Shoeburyness
My given name is Dickie
I come from Billericay
I thought you'd never guess

A pair of squeaky chickies
I'm not a flaming thicky
I'm Billericay Dickie
And I'm doing very well

Oh golly, oh gosh
Come and lie on the couch
With a nice bit of posh
From Burnham-on-Crouch
My given name is Dickie
I come from Billericay
And I ain't a slouch

About Billericay Dickie
I ain't an effin' thicky
You ask Joyce and Vicki
And I'm doing very well

I am normally someone who finds the original is almost always the best version, but........

lyrics:
Shake it down We have confidence to make you guys guys you guys enjoy For this day, we have worked so hard Nobody can stop No one can stop us We are gonna make you all say (we) are the number one! ah! Your bodies will move once you hear our sound This place will soon turn into turn into mad(ness) Make noise, right now, you all Wo-o-o-oo-o-o-o Wo-o-o-oo-o-o-o Raise your fuck'in voices Burning Burning soul of you Ready to get (it)? Come on right now Let's go! Fuck it, suck it For you to For you to not stop anywhere We're gonna show you the sound show you the sound Nobody can imitate what we do pa pa pa party night Here is the new sound and new style Check it out Yeah can't be put into any genre any genre here is the shit Sound made in Kobe oh Break Down Hey, you! Who is looking bored Imma roll you in so watch You are gonna shake it now Hey bring it on Nothings gonna be disturbing myself to be proud Can't be imitating what is already here Something… Looking for new stuff so I'm gonna do it now We are gonna make it, the sound that only we can beat Alright, now that I'm here, this place is gonna liven up No one thing is Gonna stop (me) We are gonna dye here into our color let's make it with us Bring it on! Bring it on! You and I are (the) protagonists Party it up! Fake ones off Fake ones fuck it off You make me sick Go home and go to bed Get Get away Get away Fake ones fuck off Fake ones fuck it out Nothings gonna be disturbing myself to be proud Can't be imitating what is already here Something… Looking for new stuff so I'm gonna do it now We are gonna make it, the beat of ours It's never easy What we are trying to do can only be achieved a small portion So we're gonna do it We are gonna become the only one Open your eyes and watch us We are (the) genuine Let us keep going now Pay, pay attention! Still not enough, man? Don't you be so tired Still not enough Party it up oh yeah Party it up oh! VAP Pa Pa Pa Party night there is the only kind of beat and step We're not not not gonna let let let you go without getting fucked up Dancing time Can't stop us Further on We are… oh Gonna make you shake it now Yeah, yeah

lyrics:
Shake it down We have confidence to make you guys guys you guys enjoy For this day, we have worked so hard Nobody can stop No one can stop us We are gonna make you all say (we) are the number one! ah! Your bodies will move once you hear our sound This place will soon turn into turn into mad(ness) Make noise, right now, you all Wo-o-o-oo-o-o-o Wo-o-o-oo-o-o-o Raise your fuck'in voices Burning Burning soul of you Ready to get (it)? Come on right now Let's go! Fuck it, suck it For you to For you to not stop anywhere We're gonna show you the sound show you the sound Nobody can imitate what we do pa pa pa party night Here is the new sound and new style Check it out Yeah can't be put into any genre any genre here is the shit Sound made in Kobe oh Break Down Hey, you! Who is looking bored Imma roll you in so watch You are gonna shake it now Hey bring it on Nothings gonna be disturbing myself to be proud Can't be imitating what is already here Something… Looking for new stuff so I'm gonna do it now We are gonna make it, the sound that only we can beat Alright, now that I'm here, this place is gonna liven up No one thing is Gonna stop (me) We are gonna dye here into our color let's make it with us Bring it on! Bring it on! You and I are (the) protagonists Party it up! Fake ones off Fake ones fuck it off You make me sick Go home and go to bed Get Get away Get away Fake ones fuck off Fake ones fuck it out Nothings gonna be disturbing myself to be proud Can't be imitating what is already here Something… Looking for new stuff so I'm gonna do it now We are gonna make it, the beat of ours It's never easy What we are trying to do can only be achieved a small portion So we're gonna do it We are gonna become the only one Open your eyes and watch us We are (the) genuine Let us keep going now Pay, pay attention! Still not enough, man? Don't you be so tired Still not enough Party it up oh yeah Party it up oh! VAP Pa Pa Pa Party night there is the only kind of beat and step We're not not not gonna let let let you go without getting fucked up Dancing time Can't stop us Further on We are… oh Gonna make you shake it now Yeah, yeah

The lost days ....

I only recently* discovered that the tune of 'Those were the days' is actually taken from an old Russian song. I became absolutely besotted** with this version: the melancholy that seems steeped in the Russian psyche just oozes out of this, for me. The singer is Elena Verovaya and the title, 'Дорогой Длинною' (Dorogoy Dlinnoyu) translates roughly as 'By the long road'.

*I just realised that it was actually ten years ago. It was during a very happy time I had in Paris, and it was almost exactly this time of year. Strange synchronicity / coincidence, especially because it ties in with the song!

**And while I was preparing this post, I have listened to it four times and fallen into a reverie of happy / sad memories. Nostalgia / Ностальгия.

It's been a while since the last time I visited this thread but now I'm back :)

This time I chose this video because CF is one of the few communities where I can freely admit that I like it mainly because of the way she looks :p

I love the bass line though. I have a feeling that relatively fewer songs came up with such pronounced and free-ranging bass lines after that period.

I only recently* discovered that the tune of 'Those were the days' is actually taken from an old Russian song. I became absolutely besotted** with this version: the melancholy that seems steeped in the Russian psyche just oozes out of this, for me. The singer is Elena Verovaya and the title, 'Дорогой Длинною' (Dorogoy Dlinnoyu) translates roughly as 'By the long road'.

*I just realised that it was actually ten years ago. It was during a very happy time I had in Paris, and it was almost exactly this time of year. Strange synchronicity / coincidence, especially because it ties in with the song!

**And while I was preparing this post, I have listened to it four times and fallen into a reverie of happy / sad memories. Nostalgia / Ностальгия.

Very haunting - her voice has the sensuous growl of Edith Piaf! The video is apparently from a Russian film of War and Peace - hence the contrasting scenes from the battlefield and after.

A lightly polished up Googlese translation from a Russian site:
Through almost a century of its existence, the text of the song “We rode in a troika with bells” underwent many changes. And as it is heard today, at least a couple of versions exist. It is only known for certain that the composition of Boris Ivanovich Fomin to the poems of Konstantin Nikolayevich Podrevsky was written in 1924 especially for the performer of romantic songs, Elizaveta Belogorskaya.

We rode on a troika with bells,
And in the distance lights flickered.
Oh, if I could follow you now,
I would ease my soul from longing!

Chorus:
Dear long, moonlit hours,
Yes, with a song that flies into the distance, ringing,
And with that old, and seven-stringed melody,
That tormented me so much that night!

Yes, it turns out that we once sang
In vain , burned night after night.
If we are done with the past,