Nostalgia - Music

Go to CruxDreams.com
Mhm, I am sorry if the following links are not "nostalgic" enough for this thread, but on the other hand, they are now decades old music pieces, the first one was a so-called "world-wide remake one-hit-wonder" from Germany and maybe, some of us cannot imagine today by hearing only the music, why such songs were hits ... until you see and remember the videos which were partly "scandalous" at those good "old" times, but today they are probably "simply beautiful nostalgia" - at least for me:

One of the reasons why I less frequently post in this thread nowadays is because I usually try to listen to what others have posted before I add mine and I've been rather busy for that.

But today, I've finally listened to some (except for that 40-minutes Marillion album which I'm sure I'll revisit very soon) of the songs from the last two pages and I'm glad that I did!

As a person who believes the music "died" sometime in the early 2000s (on that point, I have to disagree with Don McLean), I find it becoming increasingly difficult to keep updating the list of my favourite songs.

But today I'm happy to report that the list has grown by a couple of songs, for which I'd like to thank everyone who has been posting in this wonderful thread :) (especially @elephas who introduced me to The Lamia. What an epic, magical song it is!)

Anyway, seeing Shania Twain's face above reminded me of this song, so here's my pick for today:

For some reason, the charm of country music has escaped me without getting noticed, so I was only able to appreciate 'the half' of Shania Twain. Fortunately, the Pop side of her identity was enough to made me regard myself as her fan, and this up-tempo song has been my favourite of hers.

I believe I already said how I've always wanted to be a musician but failed because I lack talent, not that I expect anyone to remember that. Anyway, I once had tried to compensate the problem with talent by studying the music theory.

But it had always remained sort of a mystery how I should determine the 'right' chord progression, then I discovered this song:

If you have ears for chords (I don't, by the way, which is a part of the reason why I can't really be a musician), you'll notice that the whole song is composed of the same two chords repeated forever, like G-A-G-A-G-A... until the end.

I suppose that's how actually talented people can write great songs out of anything, so you can imagine how my interest in studying the music theory has waned.

P.S.: If you were reminded of Red Hot Chili Peppers by watching that video you have a good reason to be.

For some reason, this has been in my head for a few days, even though I haven't heard it in years. A great tune to put on the cassette player when driving down the highway late at night.
It's a pity that we don't make such free-flowing jam style songs any more (at least by well known musicians), or ones that feature a Hammond organ for that matter.

i used to listen to these with my dad a lot! actually i still do, on spotify (thanks, dad)

As we are talking about The Allman Brothers, I suppose it's a matter of time before some one posts this song which was dedicated to Duan Allman by Lynyrd Skynyyrd, so I decided to do it myself :) :

P.S.: I love the video as I get some 60s vibe from it, like the one you can feel when you watch the video of Woodstock or Monterey Pop Festival.

P.S.2: Yeah, I know there's an elephant in the room, or on the stage, to speak of it. Because that elephant somehow looks awfully like the Confederate flag, I understand that it may make some people uncomfortable. But maybe we can just enjoy the music without trying to find a reason to suspect their explanation that they don't actually endorse racism.

P.S.3: A fun trivia from an Wikipedia article:
It has become something of a humorous tradition for audience members at concerts to shout "Free Bird!" or "Play Free Bird!" as a request to hear the song, regardless of the performer or style of music. For example, during Nirvana's 1993 MTV Unplugged in New York show, a shout-out for "Free Bird!" eventually resulted in a lyrically slurred, if short, rendition of "Sweet Home Alabama". In 2016, an attendee of a Bob Dylan concert in Berkeley, California shouted for "Free Bird" to be played, and Dylan and his band unexpectedly obliged.

As we are talking about The Allman Brothers, I suppose it's a matter of time before some one posts this song which was dedicated to Duan Allman by Lynyrd Skynyyrd, so I decided to do it myself :) :

P.S.: I love the video as I get some 60s vibe from it, like the one you can feel when you watch the video of Woodstock or Monterey Pop Festival.

P.S.2: Yeah, I know there's an elephant in the room, or on the stage, to speak of it. Because that elephant somehow looks awfully like the Confederate flag, I understand that it may make some people uncomfortable. But maybe we can just enjoy the music without trying to find a reason to suspect their explanation that they don't actually endorse racism.

P.S.3: A fun trivia from an Wikipedia article:

It has become something of a humorous tradition for audience members at concerts to shout "Free Bird!" or "Play Free Bird!" as a request to hear the song, regardless of the performer or style of music. For example, during Nirvana's 1993 MTV Unplugged in New York show, a shout-out for "Free Bird!" eventually resulted in a lyrically slurred, if short, rendition of "Sweet Home Alabama". In 2016, an attendee of a Bob Dylan concert in Berkeley, California shouted for "Free Bird" to be played, and Dylan and his band unexpectedly obliged.
I can testify to that article. Every bar I went to in Florida in the 80s - and there were quite a few - that had live music, someone would demand to hear "Free Bird" or "Stairway to Heaven"; not caring how difficult those are to do well. :D
So, to keep the drunks happy:

A song by one of my favorite singers that I enjoyed listening to many years ago.
Sorry if I sound confrontational, but are you sure it's Janis Joplin?

Nevermind, managed to found the source. It's a Bette Midler's song from the OST for a film about Janis Joplin. :)

Last edited:
This song from Dire straits "Brothers in Arms" is particularly close to my heart. The paratroopers of the 101st Airborn, including the Easy Company, shown in this clip, fought for our freedom in December 1944. The Battle of the Buggle took place very close to my home.

Back
Top Bottom