Notre-Dame ...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hard hats and jingle bells ...

When the United States entered World War I on the side of France, a group of military officers with Gen. John Pershing visited the tomb of Lafayette where one of the officers - some reports say Pershing, some say one of his aides - uttered the phrase, "Lafayette, we are here!" implying that they had come to repay a debt of honor.

some reports say Pershing, some say one of his aides - uttered the phrase, "Lafayette, we are here!" implying that they had come to repay a debt of honor.
In fact, the phrase uttered was, "Lafayette, nous voilà." Though often erroneously attributed to General John J. Pershing, Pershing himself, stated in his book, My Experiences in the World War. New York: Stokes, 1931, that they were spoken by Colonel Charles E. Stanton, and "to him must go the credit for coining so happy and felicitous a phrase."

The middle section is a severe challenge to English-speakers,
to prrrrractise the Parrrrisian 'r'
not so much a tongue twister as a uvula (soft palate) twister :p:

J'irrrrais jusqu'au bout du monde
Je me ferrrrais teindrrrre en blonde
Si tu me le demandais
J'irrrrais décrrrrocher la Lune
J'irrrrais voler la forrrtune
Si tu me le demandais
Je rrrenierrrreais ma patrrrie
Je rrrenierrrrais mes amis
Si tu me le demandais
On peut bien rrrirrre de moi
Je ferrrais n'imporrrte quoi
Si tu me le demandais ...

The proposals have been approved by the CPNA, which appears to be a final decision, though I supposed the Assemblée nationale and/or the President have some say in the matter. The building belongs to the French state, but the liturgical arrangements and furnishings to the Church. It doesn't seem possible to see yet on the internet what's actually being proposed, so I reserve judgement. This article, though scrappy, gives a bit more information in a rather less knee-jerk reactionary style than the all-too-predictable Telegraph and Times.

[satire]The main challenge will be to make everything gender neutral (3 or more genders, I have lost count) and acceptable for Muslim visitors [/satire]

From this article :
"Let us respect the work of Viollet-le-Duc, let us respect the work of the artists and craftsmen who have worked to offer us this jewel."

That's also my opinion and I know of what I speak : I work into the Patrimony'domain ...

Back
Top Bottom