384.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Bomberos-en-la-Catedral-de-Notre-Dame-19621898.jpg
    Bomberos-en-la-Catedral-de-Notre-Dame-19621898.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 98
  • la-fleche-de-la-cathedrale-notre-dame-de-paris-s-est-effondree_6171204.jpg
    la-fleche-de-la-cathedrale-notre-dame-de-paris-s-est-effondree_6171204.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 106
The cathedral Notre-Dame de Paris is burning ... :eek::eek::eek:
J'ai senti les larmes monter impétueuses lors que j'observai en TV les gens en prière rassemblés devant la Cathédrale.
Le risque que plus de 800 ans d'Histoire soient effacés en quelque heure était sérieux. Je souhaite chaleureusement qu'aucun éffort ne soit epargné par la France aussi que par tout autre Pays de bonne volonté qui veut aider dans la rèconstruction des parts endommagées en temps brefs.

I felt tears surge while observing on TV people praying gathered in front of the Cathedral ! The risk of over 800 years of History
being blot out in a few hours has been serious. I warmly wish that no effort will be spared by France, as well as by any other well disposed
Country,to help with the reconstruction of the damaged parts within short delays.

Many precious objects were moved, I heard,

Latest reports are that many of the windows came through, the relics were saved, and that many major statues were removed as part of a restoration project, which will now become a reconstruction.

J'ai senti les larmes monter impétueuses lors que j'observai en TV les gens en prière rassemblés devant la Cathédrale.
Le risque que plus de 800 ans d'Histoire soient effacés en quelque heure était sérieux. Je souhaite chaleureusement qu'aucun éffort ne soit epargné par la France aussi que par tout autre Pays de bonne volonté qui veut aider dans la rèconstruction des parts endommagées en temps brefs.

Sadly Messa

We both know that it will never happen.

:(

Latest reports are that many of the windows came through, the relics were saved, and that many major statues were removed as part of a restoration project, which will now become a reconstruction.

From the most recent photos it looks like the damage to the interior may not be as bad as thought.
There is a lot of fire debris on the floor but most of the interior looks to be intact. ( altar, chandeliers, sculpture, pulpit, all look OK.)
A few holes in the ceiling.

Gothic Cathedrals were designed to survive roof fires. They were common in the middle ages so they developed a system of putting an independent wood roof over the stone structure of the building. The wood would burn but the rest of the stone structure could survive.

Hopefully once the damage is assessed it will be discovered that restoration will be possible.
A lot of work and money will be required but I think it might be back as good as ever.

Lets all hope!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 101
From what I've heard, they're able to save the structure of the building. A lot of artworks would've been lost though, because some were just too big to be moved. Some artworks, however, might have been saved because they were supposed to be under renovations at this time and hence, not in the building.

Attachments

• 759e448.jpg
    759e448.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 90
From the most recent photos it looks like the damage to the interior may not be as bad as thought.
There is a lot of fire debris on the floor but most of the interior looks to be intact. ( altar, chandeliers, sculpture, pulpit, all look OK.)
A few holes in the ceiling.

Gothic Cathedrals were designed to survive roof fires. They were common in the middle ages so they developed a system of putting an independent wood roof over the stone structure of the building. The wood would burn but the rest of the stone structure could survive.

Hopefully once the damage is assessed it will be discovered that restoration will be possible.
A lot of work and money will be required but I think it might be back as good as ever.

Lets all hope!!!

For having seen these photos, I totally agree ... Being myself a patrimony'advisor ( my job ) , I think that , in France, we have all the knowledge to restore it ; apparently, only a little part of the vault was spoiled, the part which was under the collapsed spire and all the framework will be to re-built , alas without these wonderful old timbers that I'd , by the past, the privilege to visit during my traineeship ...
Concerning the stained glasses, I dont know if they were hardly touched , but we have at Chartres, near the cathedral, a good school were a lot of workers have been formated and no doubt that they'll know to restore them ...
Anyway ,
"Haut les coeurs" , no doubt that N-D de Paris will soon be floating on the City'Island like the motto says :

"Fluctuat nec mergitur "

fluctuat_nec_mergitur.png
PS :
"Fluctuat nec mergitur " = float but dont founder ...

"Haut les coeurs" = something like "be optimist " ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom