Notre-Dame ...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yes, fortunatlly the art of stained glass is evoluating : like I said, in France, we've the school of Chartres, near the cathedral , where some artists are doing a great work ; even if an historical monument stays historical, nothing can stop to be evoluating if this evolution respects the spirit of this old construction ...

even if an historical monument stays historical, nothing can stop to be evoluating if this evolution respects the spirit of this old construction ...

When York Minster's roof was rebuilt after a fire, as well as traditional decoration there were modern images designed by children, download (3).jpgimages (3).jpgimages (2).jpgdownload (2).jpg

It is said that every generation should add to the whole.

Yes, while destruction is tragic, if the building is still structurally sound,
it can be a great opportunity for present-day artists -
and ordinary people who love the place, including most definitely children,
to bring fresh ideas into replacing what's been lost.
It's surprising in this secular age
how eagerly people do respond to the opportunity
to express wonder at the mystery of life,
gratitude for the experience of being alive, delight in beauty.

I was there the other week. From some angles it looks almost the same. The area around it is cordoned off, but it is quite visible from the other side of the river. I hope they restore it sympathetically!

ND1.jpgND2.jpgND3.jpg

The glass Pyramid in the Tuilerieën is modern near old and that is accepted for long years.
Not go back into the old centuries, they have gone but a new mankind is born. Therefore they have the duty to restore with modern style & skill.

We also play old composers with modern instruments, that hype to use ancient apparatuses is not my taste. Also not the way of playing as in earlier times. Also we do not cook as in the 19th century. Also we travel not by diligence. Also we make not love as..., hmm, perhaps that is the same?

The Kaiserspalast in Berlin seems old but the skeleton is concrete. All what you see is modern manufacture (I possess all information about this unique restore!).

The glass Pyramid in the Tuilerieën is modern near old and that is accepted for long years.
... not by everybody at this epoch : many french people were not agreeding it !

Not go back into the old centuries, they have gone but a new mankind is born. Therefore they have the duty to restore with modern style & skill.
We have also to respect our patrimony like it was conceived , there are many other places to make architecture'oeuvres somewhere else than in old ones !

Excused.

Messaline, I don’t wish to hijack this thread, but I found out that there exists a sound recording of a castrato. (!!!)

Interesting - at some points he sounds as if the operation's still in progress :eek:

The Wiki article about him is fascinating - especially the revelation that the Papal choirs
in the Sistine Chapel and St John Lateran depended on castrati, not boys, to sing the upper parts,
including the Allegri Miserere with its notorious top C6.

Last edited:
Getting off the subject of castrati and back to the original topic; the Cathedral is not out the woods yet and Macron promise to have reconstruction completed in time for the 2024 Olympics now seems even more ridiculous.

For the first time since 1789, Christmas Mass was not held there.

Yes, a Gothic cathedral is a marvellous balancing trick,
interacting and opposing forces holding the whole structure together -
but if the vaults become unstable, the whole thing could collapse like a house of cards.

Yes, a Gothic cathedral is a marvellous balancing trick,
interacting and opposing forces holding the whole structure together -
but if the vaults become unstable, the whole thing could collapse like a house of cards.
Someone in construction once explained that, while the walls hold up the roof, the roof also supports the walls, keeping them from falling in or out. When a house is being demolished, the first thing they do is remove the roof. After that, the walls can be knocked down easily.

Back
Top Bottom