Now This Just Isn't Funny

Go to CruxDreams.com
Being German, this old English sounds to me like the English and German languages were once much closer than today. "Thou" is for me simply like "Du" and "thee" like "dir", in earlier times even sometimes written "dier".

But just to mention another "funny" topic. During the 1970's, when there were no computers or really technical "toys" yet for kids like me, a lot of boys were assembling and painting these plastic airplanes, warships and other kits from "Airfix" and "Revell" in Germany, too, similar to this one:

View attachment 1158142

And around 1975, there were even historical persons to be assembled like this "Black Prince":

View attachment 1158136 ... and somewhere on this or another assembly kit's historical English heraldic coat of arms, I found his motto, which is still the one of the Prince of Wales:
"ICH DIEN" ! View attachment 1158146

I still remember that was looking around 1975 for some hours in all my English-German dictionaries for these strange "English" words, but I did not find them. :facepalm:;)
Then, some weeks later, I heard by chance that these words are probably really German or Welsh, but the Germans are rather convinced that they are exactly German and meant to express, what the German sentence "Ich dien(e)" means until today: "I serve".

What do you think, is this really German or rather Welsh? My German sources are not absolutely sure, which explanation is the right one:

View attachment 1158147View attachment 1158148
In German : 'Ich diene.'

In Dutch : 'Ik dien'.

The king of Bohemia killed at Crécy was born from a Luxemburg father (German) and a Brabant mother (Dutch).

But although some eastern Dutch dialects use 'ich' in stead of 'ik', in Old Dutch, 'I' was 'hic', and in Middle Dutch it was 'ic'.

Languages as we know them today, were not so territorially established. There was a whole realm of dialects, extending from the Channel coast to Prussia, with Middle Dutch in the West, Low German in the nortn, Saxonian and High German, stretching to the south and east.

Standardised (High) German was only established in German speaking territories due to Luther's Bible translation in the 16th century.

In German : 'Ich diene.'

In Dutch : 'Ik dien'.

The king of Bohemia killed at Crécy was born from a Luxemburg father (German) and a Brabant mother (Dutch).

But although some eastern Dutch dialects use 'ich' in stead of 'ik', in Old Dutch, 'I' was 'hic', and in Middle Dutch it was 'ic'.

Languages as we know them today, were not so territorially established. There was a whole realm of dialects, extending from the Channel coast to Prussia, with Middle Dutch in the West, Low German in the nortn, Saxonian and High German, stretching to the south and east.

Standardised (High) German was only established in German speaking territories due to Luther's Bible translation in the 16th century.

Maybe, I am wrong, but in my Western part of Germany, the verb "dienen" sounded rather "old-fashioned" for decades, because it was mostly used in historical combinations or in historical movies concerning times when there still were "butlers" and real "Diener" of noble or very rich persons.
About 10 years ago, the word "dienen" had a strange "military-revival", when the German military started an austere and simple advertising campaign, which was surprisingly well received by the public. I know about opinion polls in which more than 50 % of the readers found this advertising "positive", which was rather unusual for Germany's public opinion because of Germany's history:

Ashampoo_Snap_Sonntag, 17. April 2022_11h13m42s_005_.jpg = "Federal Armed Forces - We . Serve . Germany ."

It was so unusual for Germans to read an advertising like this one that almost every German remembered it.

Being German, this old English sounds to me like the English and German languages were once much closer than today. "Thou" is for me simply like "Du" and "thee" like "dir", in earlier times even sometimes written "dier".

Of course, Old English was an inflected Germanic language, not dissimilar to other northern European languages. The bones of it are still there in modern English, but the language has changed enormously.
5wtnvk.jpg

The last picture was so small that I had to enlarge it because I am too lazy on Easter Sunday to take out my magnifying glasses:

View attachment 1158178

OK, yep, this is one of my bugbears, this whole Ishtar = Easter nonsense. Every year the same.
523.png

Because there is so much "useless knowledge" about English and German language etc. in this thread, I thought I insert here some more facts about Germany no one really needs to know (and which I just found by accident), but this knowledge will make you an expert on Germany in every party's small talk:

1. Every seventh German adult travels with a cuddly toy.

2. Every fourth cow in the country lives in Bavaria.

3. The border between the Czech Republic and Germany is as long as the border between Austria and Germany: 817 kilometers.

4. The English Garden in Munich is larger than Central Park in New York.

5. In the late 19th century, New York was the city with the most German-speaking inhabitants after Vienna and Berlin.

6. The first post-war chancellor after 1945, Konrad Adenauer, also invented the soy sausage in 1916.

7. You can listen to the debates in the German Parliament live by calling +49 (0) 30 / 22 72 00 18. (Nice to know if you need to sleep a bit during daytime.)

8. The slogan "Made in Germany" was invented in Great Britain in 1887 and most probably intended to point out the poor quality of competitive German products to English people in the past.

9. There is a "Bobbycar" sports organization.

10. From 1947 to 1949 there was also an official midsummer period in Germany. This made everyone change the time four times: in March, May, June and October.

11. Well-known poet Friedrich Schiller put rotten apples in his desk drawer because the smell inspired him. That's why his friend Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is said to have gotten pretty sick during a visit.

12. During the 2010 World Cup, "Paul the Octopus" was the country's most popular and most famous animal: as an oracle in his aquarium, he correctly predicted the winner of all games with the German team and also the final. (As far as we Germans know, no other animal in the world has ever predicted so many World Cup games correctly as "Paul the Octopus" did. Unfortunately, Paul died already on October 26, 2010. This was a very sad day for Germany.) :facepalm:
:oops:

Copied from:

Last edited:
The last picture was so small that I had to enlarge it because I am too lazy on Easter Sunday to take out my magnifying glasses:

View attachment 1158178
Some more,I've dug up....lol

View attachment 1158181
This is endlessly recycled, but quite simply wrong. There is no etymological connection (beyond the chance similarity in sound) between Ishtar and Easter. To explain why not would be exceedingly boring and not at all funny. :(

So, one in four German cows is forced to watch their afterlife future all around : Lederhosen!:eek::facepalm:

In the meantime and on the one hand, I talked to some Bavarian cows in the audience of the following music videos and they told me, their lives in Germany are not so bad as long as the humans regard them as decent animals with some intelligence and a good taste for music. On the other hand, these Bavarian cows also told me that they did not really see so many "Lederhosen" at all, because most of these "Lederhosen" are worn by tourists from other parts of Germany during the "Oktoberfest" in Munich.
And you must admit as one commentator remarked during the music session: "The audience was very well behaved. No one pulled out their cell phone during the show!"
So, life is not so bad for cows in Germany as you might think ...

Last edited:
In the meantime and on the one hand, I talked to some Bavarian cows in the audience of the following music videos and they told me, their lives in Germany are not so bad as long as the humans regard them as decent animals with some intelligence and a good taste for music. On the other hand, these Bavarian cows also told me that they did not really see so many "Lederhosen" at all, because most of these "Lederhosen" are worn by tourists from other parts of Germany during the "Oktoberfest" in Munich.
And you must admit as one commentator remarked during the music session: "The audience was very well behaved. No one pulled out their cell phone during the show!"

oho when plants like music and better grow and being already do appoitment on rodents (probarly white squirrels) rodents like more classic music than metal and so plants better grow are bigger and give bigger fruits probarly so maybe squirrel give bigger peanuts and cows better milk maybe chocolate and vanilla milk when cows become truly music lovers and listen music 24/7 :oops: :cat:

Not so surprising, actually.
https://www.usdairy.com/news-articles/rock-on-classical-music-a-favorite-among-dairy-cows
Of course, "more milk" is often problematic because milk consumption is declining and there are too many producers and there are trade rows with Canada about who is subsidizing what and when.

Yes, my farming friends play relaxing music in the milking shed, they're sure the cows are calmer with it - I don't think they'd claim it affects the quantity or quality of milk, but, like that report says, contented cows are likely to milk better.

Years ago, when I was a member of the Louisville, Kentucky, zoo (a member, not an inmate) they would ask for donations of transistor radios (as I said, years ago) in the winter to keep the animals occupied "when visitors are fewer". Supposedly, zoo animals noticed and showed behavioral changes when attendance dried up during the pandemic lockdowns. It's not always benign, however. I remember reading that during a concert at the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen (maybe Wagner or someone like that) some okapis in the zoo died of fright.
Maybe the animals are just curious about our weirdness and don't follow the content so much. I certainly can't fault them for it.

Maybe the animals are just curious about our weirdness and don't follow the content so much. I certainly can't fault them for it.

I think, most animals are able to understand what is good for them and in the first video "Animals and power of music", there is this blonde - probably Scandinavian - farmer woman calling her cows to leave their grassland meadows and to come "home" to their cowshed in the evening before it is getting very cold at night.
She is not really making music for her cows but the cows obviously know that she is caring for them and they follow her calls easily.
And who knows really how much "beauty" may mean for animals? Maybe, many domestic animals (and also many human men?) would follow such a voice from a beautiful blonde human woman in the evening calling them for coming home? ;)

Back
Top Bottom