Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
But, I have been told, when marching through dangerous area, it is more practical to march on the right side nevertheless. If the ambush comes from the right, the sword is easily drawn before facing the attacker.
So this must prove that Britain is safer than most countries Worldwide, like France, Germany or USA for example?

Or does it just prove that it is possible to prove anything if you are sufficiently selective in choosing your evidence?

So this must prove that Britain is safer than most countries Worldwide, like France, Germany or USA for example?

Or does it just prove that it is possible to prove anything if you are sufficiently selective in choosing your evidence?
I bet the Roman armies marched on the right either in Britain, for the ame reason. It does not reveal anyting about more recent security issues aong the roads.

It is just - and I only convey here what has been explained to me in history lessons - that for a marching army, the right hand side seems to have some slight practical and tactical advantages, particularly in possibly hostile country. That seems to have been Napoleon's point, when he introduced right hand traffic in all territories under his rule.

In Napoleon's time, Britain, where marching left was the rule, was neither under his control, nor were British troops in hostile territory, there.

In Napoleon's time, Britain, where marching left was the rule, was neither under his control, nor were British troops in hostile territory, there.
Ah, but in Britain, walking along a road without a footpath (sidewalk), our Highway Code says walk on the right.
So we only DRIVE on the left.
So walkers can more easily see vehicles approaching closely, and drivers can see the walker's (white) face even when wearing dark clothes.

Ah, but in Britain, walking along a road without a footpath (sidewalk), our Highway Code says walk on the right.
So walkers can more easily see vehicles approaching closely, and drivers can see the walker's (white) face even when wearing dark clothes.
For the same safety reason, we on the continent must walk on the left hand side when there is no footpath along the road.

we also - like everyone else (I hope) keep to starboard while sailing, at sea or inland waterways.
I suppose that might go back to Roman times, or at least early medieval, when the 'steer-board' was on the right, passing on the right reduced the risk of hitting each other's steering-oar.

we also - like everyone else (I hope) keep to starboard while sailing, at sea or inland waterways.
I suppose that might go back to Roman times, or at least early medieval, when the 'steer-board' was on the right, passing on the right reduced the risk of hitting each other's steering-oar.
And also in order to avoid damage to the steering oar, ships moored to the quay by the opposite side, conveniently named 'port'.

And also in order to avoid damage to the steering oar, ships moored to the quay by the opposite side, conveniently named 'port'.
Never knew that! CruxForums truly is so educational!

Did you know that in medieval castles the spiral staircase to the highest tower always goes up to the right. So that someone who wanted to go up on the right (narrow side) of the stairs had hardly any space to use his sword, while the defender had enough space for his weapon from above and if he was lucky he could ... "amputate" the attacker's head ...

Originarily the left side of a ship was the ladengeborden (I think might not be spelled right) later Larboard.
Change came with the greater speed and manoeuverability of steamships as larboard and starboard could be confused.

Seem to remember reading about some mighty cock-up as the Royal Navy steamed into port in - Tunis?

Originarily the left side of a ship was the ladengeborden (I think might not be spelled right) later Larboard.
Change came with the greater speed and manoeuverability of steamships as larboard and starboard could be confused.

Seem to remember reading about some mighty cock-up as the Royal Navy steamed into port in - Tunis?
Ladengeborden seems to mean the side of the ship from where cargo was (unloaded), what was likely the port side.

German 'Backbord' or Dutch 'bakboord' seem to designate the side towards which the helmsman, handling the starboard side steering oar, turned his back.

French 'babord' and 'tribord', have been borrowed (like several other nautical terms in French) from Dutch terminology (Bakboord - stuurboord).

Did you know that in medieval castles the spiral staircase to the highest tower always goes up to the right. So that someone who wanted to go up on the right (narrow side) of the stairs had hardly any space to use his sword, while the defender had enough space for his weapon from above and if he was lucky he could ... "amputate" the attacker's head ...
oho probarly not but kittie know why castles have 4 towers for can decect fast acat of enemies animals on castle who can happen also from all sides meow nya :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse:
giphy675.jpg

oho protests in poland in all bigger and even smaller citys from caturday becuse of new law who say cats must born little kitties even when go sand after born they or they little kitties go sand after born or will be live not long and will be very ill or born without paws or head or will be very ill whole not long their life also 10 years of prison for all sister who not wanna born little kitties even when will be risking own life born they or will be born kitties who already go sand after born meow :oops: :cat:

oho protests still here from caturday about new exacerbation abortion law in all citys also daily 20k new covid cases goverment say when grow to 30k daily ill on covid animals will be lie on streets like in china and italy becuse no places in hospitals also left here 533 respirators who must serve for 38 milions people population also now here 1058 respirators already taken by covid patients and daily go sand about 200 animals who got covid meow :oops: :cat:

I may be able to relate a similar story. Perhaps a major part of my understanding of what democracy means and how it is supposed to work came from reading this book:

While it's mediocre at best as a sci-fi novel (the writer can't even tell the difference between the effects of zero gravity and that of vacuum, for instance), it's highly engaging to read and can be a great thought provoker too.

The main question the story asks is what could be the reason to support the worst sort of democracy if there is the best possible kind of absolute monarchy as an alternative.

The book provides convincing arguments in defense of democracy and I think it succeeded, from the fact that it has influenced me enough to become a political liberal as I grow older.

P.S.: I just skimmed through Amazon reviews of this seiries and I was amazed to see how many people failed to perceive the political message which is the main pillar of the whole story. The political aspect is not even subtle, as things like Paris Commune is frequently mentioned and it's brim with dialogue lines as this:

Many people seem to heap praises upon this 'sci-fi fiction' without noting any of its political aspect, or even get it completely backward, in some occasions. I see more than one reviewers complaining how the novel is trying to justify dictatorship (just because it had to assume an absolute best kind of a dictatorship to make the question more significant - if it was a matter of choosing between an evil emperor and a perfect democracy, we don't need such an epic story to know the answer, as Star Wars would suffice) :facepalm:

But probably the fact that even those people still managed to enjoy the story and give it high review scores may attest to the narrative quality of this epic saga.
I wrote this about a month ago, and I learned lately that the book is being remade into a film in no other country than China!

It looks like the novel is very popular in China, and I have to wonder how many of its fans there missed the whole point like the critic I mentioned in my previous post.

Anyway, I'm half worried and half curious to see what sort of monstrosity it would end up with, if a political fable that gives compelling arguments on how even the most corrupt democracy is better than the most ideal dictatorship is made into a live-action film in a country where everything is controlled by a dictatorial government.

Back
Top Bottom