Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thank you Frank Petrexa and Loxuru.

Vesuvius has a very particular periodicity, it remains active with the crater conduit open for about 300 years, then, with the crater conduit blocked it remains inactive for about 1000 years, it enters into activity with a Plinian explosion, creating real disasters.
We could think that now Vesuvius will remain silent for another 900 years ... The last eruption, terminal, was that of 1945, and the conduit has closed. It opened in 1630 with an explosion similar to that of 79 AD and was active with various flows for the next 300 years, exactly as it had been until about 500 AD, for about 300 years after the Pompeii event.

The real danger, perhaps even imminent, is represented by the caldera below Pozzuoli, where the Solfatara, that is the Phlegraean Fields, is always active. The whole area is constantly affected by the phenomenon of bradyseism, that is the raising and lowering of the land, as it was in the 1980s, with an elevation of the land of about 2 meters. The resulting eruption would have the characteristics of the one that affected Yellowstone. If you look at the maps you can easily understand that the Gulf of Naples is nothing more than the edge of an immense crater.

Last edited:

Vesuvius has a very particular periodicity, it remains active with the crater conduit open for about 300 years, then, with the crater conduit blocked it remains inactive for about 1000 years, it enters into activity with a Plinian explosion, creating real disasters.
We could think that now Vesuvius will remain silent for another 900 years ... The last eruption, terminal, was that of 1945, and the conduit has closed. It opened in 1630 with an explosion similar to that of 79 AD and was active with various flows for the next 300 years, exactly as it had been until about 500 AD, for about 300 years after the Pompeii event.

The real danger, perhaps even imminent, is represented by the caldera below Pozzuoli, where the Solfatara, that is the Phlegraean Fields, is always active. The whole area is constantly affected by the phenomenon of bradyseism, that is the raising and lowering of the land, as it was in the 1980s, with an elevation of the land of about 2 meters. The resulting eruption would have the characteristics of the one that affected Yellowstone. If you look at the maps you can easily understand that the Gulf of Naples is nothing more than the edge of an immense crater.
The stuff of nightmares!

Long, and maybe geeky, but interesting. Maybe these things are going to be predictable some day.

Attachments

• InSARMapping.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 11
The reader will note few if any CF attendees subscribe to the cited publications.

D05292BA-F7C3-4E6F-96F5-2D88FA065BE1.jpeg

(Statshot courtesy of The Onion.)

Careful and profssional selection of possible crucifixion sites includes a detailed investigation of the geology of the location!;)
Oh so completely on topic, of course!
I wonder if anyone has written a crucifixion story under Vesuvius’ eruption?? I could have a go at that. I’ll confine my geological discussion to volcanic ash fall and clastic flows....

I wonder if anyone has written a crucifixion story under Vesuvius’ eruption?? I could have a go at that. I’ll confine my geological discussion to volcanic ash fall and clastic flows....

:D

Oh! Well clearly I’m not up for that kind of epic, I was thinking of crucified slaves suffering scalding agony when the ash rains down, another pain vignette. But instead I have this beautiful novel to read about gorgeous Amica, and a reluctance to invade that beautiful land scape Luna and Eulalia have depicted!

oho no smart policemans here in poland cannot stop single naughty sister who get crazy becuse smoke some grass narkotics and no smart policemans shoot near in gas distributor on gas station when mist can blow up whole station with themselves and all animals there meowwwwwww :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse: :2guns:

oho no smart policemans here in poland cannot stop single naughty sister who get crazy becuse smoke some grass narkotics and no smart policemans shoot near in gas distributor on gas station when mist can blow up whole station with themselves and all animals there meowwwwwww :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse: :2guns:
Not to mention the shooting in public space, from a situation where they are not life-threatened themselves directly. :machinegun:

It is a world wide problem, it appears to me, of 'low-cost police', with low acceptance criteria, low wages and low-level training. What we got now are a bunch of trigger-happy cowboys that are supposed to protect us.:2guns:

the youngest was the 'Ferdinandea' island born in the 1831 in the Sicily channel. Now eroded by the sea.
Surtsey, off the south of Iceland, came into being in 1963

There's a very active solfatara in Iceland too, an unearthly, fearful place - constantly moving, boiling water bubbling and foul sulphurous fumes reeking.

:D
In my - not strictly neutral - opinion, one of the finest full-length novels we're been privileged to publish here on Crux Forums.
Luna's childhood and teenage years were in Cuma, by Pozzuoli, the Campi Flegrei, and the cave where Aeneas met the Sibyl and visited the underworld - she brings that area, as well as Pompeii and the land around Vesuvius, vividly to life in her wonderful story.

Back
Top Bottom