Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's an interesting fact that one man, Sir William Paterson, was arguably the prime mover in three initiatives with huge consequences - establishing The Bank of England, launching the disastrous Darien Scheme, and advocating and framing the Acts of Union. History is never simple, and Scottish history riddled with such contradictions - the 'Caledonian antisyzygy' (union of opposites)

Well, when I did that trip, there was a heatwave. At least, there was one in Scotland and all the rest of Britain when I left. And still a heatwave when I came back a fortnight later. After two weeks of rain in Shetland :rolleyes:

Well, when I did that trip, there was a heatwave. At least, there was one in Scotland and all the rest of Britain when I left. And still a heatwave when I came back a fortnight later. After two weeks of rain in Shetland :rolleyes:
Eulalia, morbid curiosity here. What temperatures constitute a heat wave in Scotland?

Eulalia, morbid curiosity here. What temperatures constitute a heat wave in Scotland?
I'd say mid to upper 70s F, > 23 C. It's not unusual, especially on the east side, but it doesn't often stay hot for many days.
Tends to be cooler in summer and milder in winter on the west, and on the isles - wet and windy too, of course.

People generally don't realise how far north Shetland is - the isles are nearly always put in a box on maps, somewhere off Peterhead - though the Scottish Parliament has enacted a requirement that Shetland be shown in its proper place in future, which is closer to Bergen in Norway than to Edinburgh, never mind London.

And now for something completely different: who is inspired by whom?
(my own thoughts, not scientifically based)

The majority will probably agree that Romeo and Juliet (early modern English: The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet) is a drama by William Shakespeare.

The work was probably written in 1594-96. It first appeared in print in 1597. Shakespeare's main source was Arthur Brooke's The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Iuliet from 1562. Romeo and Juliet are considered the most famous lovers in world literature. The material has been adapted in many musical and literary variants, there are numerous film adaptations, and the work has enjoyed unbroken popularity on the stage since its creation.

One author who was inspired by the Romeo and Juliet theme was J.R.R. Tolkien. His tragic lovers are called Beren and Lúthien, which he portrays magnificently in his (unfinished) Lay of Leithian.

Already in my school days I encountered a much older tragic couple of lovers: Pyramus and Thisbe.

The saga of Pyramus and Thisbe was widely known in antiquity and is mentioned several times in extant works. The earliest and most detailed account is found in Ovid's epic of transformation sagas entitled Metamorphoses (probably published in 8 AD). His account culminates, as is the intention of this work, in a transformation: the fruits of the mulberry tree are since then no longer white, but blood-red.

I still know the first verse by heart today (yes, it's a hexameter):

Pyramus et Thisbe, iuvenum pulcherrimus alter,
altera, quas oriens habuit, praelata puellis,
contiguas tenuere domos, ubi dicitur altam
coctilibus muris cinxisse Semiramis urbem.

The Romans express themselves a little like Master Yoda. Therefore, one must always adapt the literal translation a little without departing too much from the original:

Pyramus and Thisbe, he the most beautiful youth,
she, outstanding among the girls that the Orient possessed,
inhabited adjacent houses, where Semiramis is said
to have surrounded the high city with a wall of bricks.

Then it goes like this:

Acquaintance and first steps of love brought about the neighborhood: over time, love grew.
They would also have married legally, but the fathers forbade it.
What they could not forbid: both burned equally after their sense of love was captured.
There are no confidants. They communicate by nods and signs, and the more it is covered, the more the fire blazes.
The wall common to the two houses was split by a crack that it had once received when it was built.
This damage, which for long centuries had not been noticed by anyone - what does love not notice? - you lovers were the first to see, and made it a path for your voice;
and surely the flattery used to pass through it in the form of the softest murmurings.
Often, as soon as they stood there, here Thisbe, there Pyramus, and mutually the breath of the mouth had been caught, they said:
"Envious wall, what do you hinder the lovers ? What would be in it if we could join with whole body or if that is too much, you stand open so that we can kiss.
But we are not ungrateful: we confess that it is thanks to You that our words are given a passage to the ears of the beloved.

(to be continued, if I'm not banned because of spread of boredom)

Exactly how boring are you? Because if you had excerpts that would be fine, but perhaps leave a reprint of the entire epic aside and just post a link. ;)

Death and sex scenes are great favorites here.
There are actually death scenes. But sex does not happen at all. It's just a tragic love story.
Most translations are adapted to modern language, which leads far away from the original (what I don't like). Here is a usable translation (not my work, author at the end):

Attachments

• The story of Pyramus and Thisbe..PDF
    246.5 KB · Views: 18
There are actually death scenes. But sex does not happen at all. It's just a tragic love story.
Most translations are adapted to modern language, which leads far away from the original (what I don't like). Here is a usable translation (not my work, author at the end):
The bard himself referenced Pyrramus and Thysbe in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" - it was the play that gets completely butchered by the village amateur players at the prince's wedding. One does wonder if Shakespeare thought much of it. ;)

I'd say mid to upper 70s F, > 23 C. It's not unusual, especially on the east side, but it doesn't often stay hot for many days.
Tends to be cooler in summer and milder in winter on the west, and on the isles - wet and windy too, of course.
It's often said that a typical British summer is three hot days followed by a thunderstorm :(

And now for something completely different: who is inspired by whom?
(my own thoughts, not scientifically based)

The majority will probably agree that Romeo and Juliet (early modern English: The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet) is a drama by William Shakespeare.

The work was probably written in 1594-96. It first appeared in print in 1597. Shakespeare's main source was Arthur Brooke's The Tragicall Historye of Romeus and Iuliet from 1562. Romeo and Juliet are considered the most famous lovers in world literature. The material has been adapted in many musical and literary variants, there are numerous film adaptations, and the work has enjoyed unbroken popularity on the stage since its creation.

One author who was inspired by the Romeo and Juliet theme was J.R.R. Tolkien. His tragic lovers are called Beren and Lúthien, which he portrays magnificently in his (unfinished) Lay of Leithian.

Already in my school days I encountered a much older tragic couple of lovers: Pyramus and Thisbe.

The saga of Pyramus and Thisbe was widely known in antiquity and is mentioned several times in extant works. The earliest and most detailed account is found in Ovid's epic of transformation sagas entitled Metamorphoses (probably published in 8 AD). His account culminates, as is the intention of this work, in a transformation: the fruits of the mulberry tree are since then no longer white, but blood-red.

I still know the first verse by heart today (yes, it's a hexameter):

Pyramus et Thisbe, iuvenum pulcherrimus alter,
altera, quas oriens habuit, praelata puellis,
contiguas tenuere domos, ubi dicitur altam
coctilibus muris cinxisse Semiramis urbem.

The Romans express themselves a little like Master Yoda. Therefore, one must always adapt the literal translation a little without departing too much from the original:

Pyramus and Thisbe, he the most beautiful youth,
she, outstanding among the girls that the Orient possessed,
inhabited adjacent houses, where Semiramis is said
to have surrounded the high city with a wall of bricks.

Then it goes like this:

Acquaintance and first steps of love brought about the neighborhood: over time, love grew.
They would also have married legally, but the fathers forbade it.
What they could not forbid: both burned equally after their sense of love was captured.
There are no confidants. They communicate by nods and signs, and the more it is covered, the more the fire blazes.
The wall common to the two houses was split by a crack that it had once received when it was built.
This damage, which for long centuries had not been noticed by anyone - what does love not notice? - you lovers were the first to see, and made it a path for your voice;
and surely the flattery used to pass through it in the form of the softest murmurings.
Often, as soon as they stood there, here Thisbe, there Pyramus, and mutually the breath of the mouth had been caught, they said:
"Envious wall, what do you hinder the lovers ? What would be in it if we could join with whole body or if that is too much, you stand open so that we can kiss.
But we are not ungrateful: we confess that it is thanks to You that our words are given a passage to the ears of the beloved.

(to be continued, if I'm not banned because of spread of boredom)
Well, I'd enjoy reading your version - and we do call this thread 'Odds and Ends and anything you fancy', so, As You Like It! :)

I like that Rolfe Humphries translation, I feel it preserves the character and flow of Ovid's hexameters, without being slavishly imitative. David Raeburn's version (Penguin Classics) is comparable, but I think rather more awkward. But I do like Ted Hughes's - further from the sound of the original, but as ever he finds good sturdy, familiar English words to tell the tale in a stark, straightforward way.

Well, I'd enjoy reading your version - and we do call this thread 'Odds and Ends and anything you fancy', so, As You Like It! :)

I like that Rolfe Humphries translation, I feel it preserves the character and flow of Ovid's hexameters, without being slavishly imitative. David Raeburn's version (Penguin Classics) is comparable, but I think rather more awkward. But I do like Ted Hughes's - further from the sound of the original, but as ever he finds good sturdy, familiar English words to tell the tale in a stark, straightforward way.
Thank you Eulalia. I'm not very self-confident :beer:

Here are some pics from "Etretat" around 1900 :

1) At this time, the beach was not used by the population to take baths but to launder ...

img21.jpg

2) and also to secure the boats of the fishermen ...

img2.jpg

3) it was when the railway was joining Paris to "la Côte normande" that rich parisian people were coming ...

img17.jpg

Some random stuff!

Attachments

• 93236906_3211295225550391_3384159694938439680_o.jpg
    93236906_3211295225550391_3384159694938439680_o.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 2210311932_b780581337.jpg
    2210311932_b780581337.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 50
  • bdsmlr-22598-SJ1mKM9K9F.jpg
    bdsmlr-22598-SJ1mKM9K9F.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 50