Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
She is simply impressed by the gentleman's stif upper lip, his Cambridge accent and his reciting of a Shakespeare monologue, most probably.

Or, she can’t believe how anyone could think he could attract girls with such an incredibly stupid pickup line ... :rolleyes:

Look at the girl's eyes in the first photo, she looks a bit confused.
Well the police are still awaiting government guidance on how to enforce the new 'rule of 6', so are adopting a non-confrontational approach :p

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Mea cupla. Mea maxima culpa!

Let me try another.

Not that much had changed by the 1950s, still plenty of cars like that, wooden road signs, big prams, ships with black smoke..............
Maybe more TV aerials on chimneys of thatched cottages, not quite as much evidence of horse-drawn trade

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Mea cupla. Mea maxima culpa!

Let me try another.

A lost world, remarkable. I wonder if the tourists stopped in at local farms along the way to buy cucumber sandwiches and ginger beer, as Enid Blyton's characters were always doing.

Not quite sure what's going on here.
View attachment 901860

Is that okra in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me? It's also known as lady's' fingers, you know.

There's more than one version of this pic out there

okra-smugglers-henryk-fantazos-1-03e14385.jpg

I wonder if the tourists stopped in at local farms along the way to buy cucumber sandwiches
From my memory of farmers' wives and farmhouse kitchens in the '50s, a cucumber would be on the table only when they were doing a posh tea.

As for a cucumber sandwich, that was reserved for them in the 'big house'.

From my memory of farmers' wives and farmhouse kitchens in the '50s, a cucumber would be on the table only when they were doing a posh tea.

We often had cucumbers at home, but when my grandfather bought tomatoes for the first time in Jena, his words were: Oh, they don't taste sweet, I don't eat that and he didn't touch any tomatoes until he died. It must have been like that between the first and second world wars.

Let me try another.
Since that one seemed to stir some memories. Her is a set from during WWII(!)
For the benighted among you, the opening shot is the Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens, turned to a vegetable plot.

I think until it had been bred out of them, cucumbers were notorious for causing wind - 'burpless' cucumbers were a high-class novelty.

I wonder if the tourists stopped in at local farms along the way to buy cucumber sandwiches and ginger beer, as Enid Blyton's characters were always doing.
There were no tourists during the war. And the farmers were busily hiding pigs etc. when the Men from the Ministry were coming to requisition them.

Not wanting to make a political point, certainly not a partisan one, but those are very romanticised versions of an imaginary England that seems to be being recycled today - and I don't deny we have our Scottish equivalent - but clinging to, or trying to go back to, an idyllic golden age is no way to deal with present-day problems.

linging to, or trying to go back to, an idyllic golden age is no way to deal with present-day problems.
The problem with idyllic golden ages is, that they actually never were. The 'Belle Epoque', the Beautiful Epoch, as the era from 1889 to 1914 is called in France and Belgium, is a hindsight after the attrocities of the First World War. But there were lots of problems too. The same for e.g. 'The Golden Sixties'. Reading contemporaneous reports and witnesses from now elderly people, indicate that the 1960 had their economic problems as well, and that some had difficulty to find jobs as well. The streets were not paved with gold, then.

Well the Famous Five were of the boarding school section of society, true.

I think until it had been bred out of them, cucumbers were notorious for causing wind - 'burpless' cucumbers were a high-class novelty.

There were no tourists during the war. And the farmers were busily hiding pigs etc. when the Men from the Ministry were coming to requisition them.

Not wanting to make a political point, certainly not a partisan one, but those are very romanticised versions of an imaginary England that seems to be being recycled today - and I don't deny we have our Scottish equivalent - but clinging to, or trying to go back to, an idyllic golden age is no way to deal with present-day problems.

The original clip was of a pre war road trip, that's what I'm referring to when I say tourists, people actuially touring :)

I don't have the Famous Five stories in front of me but I'm sure the children would just take of across the countryside on their bikes, camping out, buying meals from farmer's wives etc, hard to imagine something like that now and I wonder how common it was then?

There is an attraction, as this website indicates
hbg-title-9780340681206-28.jpgputting-theff.jpgvisit-dorset-blog-famous-five-corfe-castle.jpg_tmp.jpg

Then their are the modern spoof titles, such as
3995070400000578-3858784-image-a-50_1477065446625.jpg3A06D4CB00000578-3903464-image-a-2_1478215923984.jpg

And a book inspired by their lavish picnics
71A0XGPecuL.jpg

The film does present what strikes us as a romanticised vision of a long gone England. Of course as Lox says it always looks better in hindsight, living as an ordinary labourer or farm worker in the 1930s was likely not a bundle of laughs, and their lives would look horribly limited to us, yet there is an attraction too. We live complicated lives, and these past times look romantic and simple and almost restful to modern eyes.

I don't have the Famous Five stories in front of me but I'm sure the children would just take of across the countryside on their bikes, camping out, buying meals from farmer's wives etc, hard to imagine something like that now and I wonder how common it was then?
I think part of the attraction was probably of a fantasy world, but one close enough to home for kids to imagine themselves into it - not unlike some of our fantasies here, I suppose :D

Back
Top Bottom