Odds And Ends And Anything You Fancy

Go to CruxDreams.com
A short hiatus from NFL (no not the Super Bowl!) to visit "Swinging London" of 1967
At 1:59, we notice a perceptibly younger @old slave in his usually careful observing mode right behind the girl.
At 2:08, I make a cameo - I hate litter - helpfully cleaning up the trash.
I'm not sure, but is that @twonines at 4:50 with a unicorn?
At 5:55, @RacingRodent 's father makes an appearance documenting the scene (glasses and all) - the fruit doesn't fall from from the tree.
Out of respect for their privacy, I shall not point out which of our current cruxgirls' mothers (and grandmothers) make lascivious appearances.
A rare and remarkable view on swinging 1960's London, focusing on the business aspect behind it.

As the last of my tribute to Newfoundland, a tour of the lovely island.
Sorry, I couldn't resist just one more. Some NFL accent humor
OK. Just two more. Survivalist encounters NFL
Alright, Three. But that NFL home-baked turkey sounded irresistable. The result of the resent storms

For Valentine's Day, the first recorded Valentine:
Charles, the Duke of Orléans, in 1415, when he was 21 years old.

Charles grew up in the fractious French royal family. As the nephew of King Charles VI of France, also known as Charles the Mad (who was believed to be schizophrenic), he was caught in the crossfire between his father, Louis I, who presided over the House of Orléans, and his uncle’s family, which oversaw the House of Burgundy, in their fight for control of France.

Tragedy struck when Charles’s father Louis I, was assassinated, and his mother died soon after. Charles and his brothers vowed revenge on their first cousin John the Fearless, the Duke of Burgundy, whom they accused of murdering their father in a power grab, intensifying the family civil war.

In 1410, 16-year-old Charles was wed in yet another political alliance—this time to 11-year-old Bonne of Armagnac, daughter of Bernard VII, Count of Armagnac, and soon-to-be Constable of France. It put the young duke in his father-in-law’s Armagnac camp in the years-long French civil war between the Armagnacs and the Burgundians.
1613349928256.png
At the Battle of Agincourt, he was captured by the English and held prisoner in the Tower of London
1613349966602.png
He penned a poem to his wife the same year that he was captured. In the poem, Charles uses the term “Valentine” referring to his wife, but his expression of love was more somber than the holiday greetings that we’re usually accustomed to. However, given the grim circumstances under which the letter was written, that’s no surprise.

My very gentle Valentine,
Since for me you were born too soon,
And I for you was born too late.
God forgives him who has estranged
Me from you for the whole year.
I am already sick of love,
My very gentle Valentine.

Having been imprisoned for 25 years, Charles was never able to see his wife’s reaction to the letter. She died sometime between 1430 and 1435, before reuniting with her husband or bearing any children.

For Valentine's Day, the first recorded Valentine:
Charles, the Duke of Orléans, in 1415, when he was 21 years old.

Charles grew up in the fractious French royal family. As the nephew of King Charles VI of France, also known as Charles the Mad (who was believed to be schizophrenic), he was caught in the crossfire between his father, Louis I, who presided over the House of Orléans, and his uncle’s family, which oversaw the House of Burgundy, in their fight for control of France.

Tragedy struck when Charles’s father Louis I, was assassinated, and his mother died soon after. Charles and his brothers vowed revenge on their first cousin John the Fearless, the Duke of Burgundy, whom they accused of murdering their father in a power grab, intensifying the family civil war.

In 1410, 16-year-old Charles was wed in yet another political alliance—this time to 11-year-old Bonne of Armagnac, daughter of Bernard VII, Count of Armagnac, and soon-to-be Constable of France. It put the young duke in his father-in-law’s Armagnac camp in the years-long French civil war between the Armagnacs and the Burgundians.
View attachment 970626
At the Battle of Agincourt, he was captured by the English and held prisoner in the Tower of London
View attachment 970627
He penned a poem to his wife the same year that he was captured. In the poem, Charles uses the term “Valentine” referring to his wife, but his expression of love was more somber than the holiday greetings that we’re usually accustomed to. However, given the grim circumstances under which the letter was written, that’s no surprise.

My very gentle Valentine,
Since for me you were born too soon,
And I for you was born too late.
God forgives him who has estranged
Me from you for the whole year.
I am already sick of love,
My very gentle Valentine.

Having been imprisoned for 25 years, Charles was never able to see his wife’s reaction to the letter. She died sometime between 1430 and 1435, before reuniting with her husband or bearing any children.
The Original in Old French
Je suis desja d'amour tanné,
Ma tres doulce Valentinée,
Car pour moi fustes trop tart née,
Et moy pour vous fus trop tost né.
Dieu lui pardoint qui estrené
M'a de vous, pour toute l'année.
Je suis desja, etc.
Ma tres doulce, etc.
Bien m'estoye suspeconné,
Qu'auroye telle destinée,
Ains que passast ceste journée,
Combien qu'Amours l'eust ordonné.
Je suis desja, etc.

also known as Charles the Mad (who was believed to be schizophrenic),
The 'madness' of Charles VI was a hereditary disease. By the marriage of his daughter with English king Henry V, it passed on their child, Henry VI, making him loose control over the country. It lead to the final defeat of England in the Hundred Year's War and the behinning of the Wars of the Roses.

Charles and his brothers vowed revenge on their first cousin John the Fearless, the Duke of Burgundy, whom they accused of murdering their father in a power grab, intensifying the family civil war.
They got their revenge on september 10th 1419. John the Fearless, ho supported the invasion of France by Henry V, was 'invited' for negociations in a town called Montereau-sur-Yonne. The negociations had to take place on a bridge over the river Yonne. John the Fearless hence had nowhere to run. He was butchered.

Charles grew up in the fractious French royal family.
His son became king of France (Louis XII; r. 1498-1515) after the extinction of the main Valois line (death of Charles VIII).

The Original in Old French

Je suis desja d'amour tanné,
Ma tres doulce Valentinée,
Car pour moi fustes trop tart née,
Et moy pour vous fus trop tost né.
Dieu lui pardoint qui estrené
M'a de vous, pour toute l'année.
Je suis desja, etc.
Ma tres doulce, etc.
Bien m'estoye suspeconné,
Qu'auroye telle destinée,
Ains que passast ceste journée,
Combien qu'Amours l'eust ordonné.
Je suis desja, etc.
In this poem, we can discover the use of the "S" into the ancient french language ; it explains why into our modern language, we rather have substituted this "S" by an accent , grave=è, aigu=é or circonflexe=ê, a thing that you have not in English language and that you've some difficulties to use ...

old / modern

desja / déjà

fustes / fûtes

l'eust / l'eût

Your French teacher, Messa ... 04dc2137e873d4302a091a436f44598e.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom