Oldies

Go to CruxDreams.com
Just found this: https://www.themarysue.com/topless-female-duelists/
Apparently, the thought was that strips of clothing would be introduced into sword wounds causing sepsis, so disrobing prevented this. Male spectators were admonished to turn their backs to the action!
Now that is just totally unfair. It's very likely that one of those 'gentlemen' are reason for the duel in the first place... and he's not allowed to watch? That is sooo wrong. :devil:

Only on this case, between Princess Pauline Metternich and the Countess Kielmannsegg of Liechtenstein in 1892, which was well documented. In another case I found, a duel was fought because one woman substantially overestimated another woman's age. Big insult!
Oh my... that is a very serious affront to a female. I can see why that led to combat. As the only male and the youngest of 6 children, I learned quite early in life to avoid discussion, or answering questions about, two subjects...... a woman's age, and anything involving a her body shape and weight.

Just a snippet of Olympic history:
(Men's) Fencing was on the programme of the Games of the I Olympiad in Athens in 1896, and has been on the programme ever since. The different types of weapon used by men are the foil (since 1896), the sabre (since 1896) and the épée (since 1900). Women competed for the first time at the Games of the VIII Olympiad in Paris in 1924. The foil was the only weapon used by women until the 1996 Games in Atlanta, which saw the introduction of the women’s épée. The women’s sabre featured on the programme for the first time at the Games in Athens in 2004.

It's amazing to notice the evolution of the duel towards "sport". But always topless...
Probably it became one erotic fantasy for males, as many postcards were....View attachment 1065455View attachment 1065456View attachment 1065457View attachment 1065458View attachment 1065459View attachment 1065460View attachment 1065461View attachment 1065462View attachment 1065463View attachment 1065464
So, do we know now much dueling, with swords, not tongues, women actually partook in?

Back
Top Bottom