Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's Gif, with a hard G - "Jif" is both a brand of lemon juice and a brand of bathroom cleaner...

It stands for "Graphics Interchange Format", NOT "Jraphics Interchange Format" :)

Also, I'm Welsh, and in Wales, the G is always hard :)
My Great Grandfather immigrated to the US from Wales in the 1800's. Now I know why my G is always hard. :cool:

La chanteuse Régine, la "reine de la nuit",
Claimed to have invented the discotheque -
she certainly had a colourful career!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-61292332

The only good video coverage I can find so far is in French,
but even if you can't follow the language,
it's full of lively clips:

After Idar-Oberstein was mentioned here only because of the sad news with the mad murder of last week, I think, also because I am living only 60 km away from it, it should still be remembered as a rather small German city which was famous before for three "things", which almost every West-German knew about this city before:

1. It was and still is one of the relatively few traditional German centers for gemstone cutting because of its natural occurence of semiprecious stones like agates and other gemstones.

2. It is famous for a strange location of a church which was build into a massive rock-mountain below the ruin of a castle:

View attachment 1067063 View attachment 1067064

3. If you do not know it by now, you will find it hard to believe, but because of his German mother who married his father - an US-American soldier - Bruce Willis ("Die Hard") was born here in Idar-Oberstein in 1955 and every German fan of his movies knows this fact.

Sorry for mentioning this small German city "Idar-Oberstein" once more & again, but it is possibly interesting for fans of international political and military aid for a now very famous country in Eastern Europe which starts with an "U".
Although being German, I heard yesterday for the first time that Idar-Oberstein is also famous in "well-informed international military circles" for having the most modern training center for the German "Panzerhaubitze 2000" (= "self-propelled armored howitzers 2000"), which will probably soon cause a lot of (partly un-)expected military passings in "Far-Eastern-Europe", because up to 60 soldiers and translators arrived yesterday and 40 more today in Idar-Oberstein to be trained on this "Panzerhaubitze", which is said to be one of the ca. 2 or 3 most modern ones of this kind in this military class worldwide.
(I somehow got the feeling that Bruce Willis would possibly like these news, too, when he thinks about his German birth-place, which he visited several times because of the relatives of his German mother.)
I could not really believe what was to be seen on German regional TV yesterday evening from Idar-Oberstein because there is a relatively unique "high-tech-simulator" for this howitzer which looks at first sight like an almost 360 degrees flight simulator in an airport training center but it really is a military simulator for this special howitzer.
(By the way, dear "Loxuru", if you read this: I would be interested, if there are all soldiers from all countries which use this howitzer also trained in Idar-Oberstein. As far as I know, the Netherlands and Belgium are also using this special howitzers in their armies. Do their soldiers also always come to Idar-Oberstein to be trained on this simulator or are there similar simulators in their countries?)
More informations in English here:

Back
Top Bottom