Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
There are very few athletes who can be said to have totally changed their sport. And very few who have a technique named for them.
Dick Fosbury died on the 12th of lymphoma at the age of 76.
In the 1970's in the sports lessons, we had to try out his Fosbury flop during high jumping. It was very difficult and needed a very good coordination of running speed, place and motion. No one from the class managed to perform it.

I got to see him in concert once, back in 1989 in NYC. :risas3:

Mark Russel was pretty much unknown outside the US, and because his venue was PBS, probably to a majority of people over here. :rolleyes:

But I busted a gut laughing, that is to say I deeply appreciated, his political satire in song. And he made it all the way to 90, not bad for a national treasure.

Samples of his stuff may seen here, and be may incomprehensible if you not a political geek like me.;)

This Yank heard of Dame Edna at all because during Reagan's first term 60 Minutes did a profile of her/him,

IMG_2068.jpeg

and the New York Times has put it best.

Oh, Possums, Dame Edna is no more.

To be unflinchingly precise, Barry Humphries, the Australian-born actor and comic who for almost seven decades brought that divine doyenne of divadom, Dame Edna Everage, to delirious, dotty, disdainful Dadaist life, died on Saturday in Sydney. He was 89.

In case the paywall blocks the reader,

This Yank heard of Dame Edna at all because during Reagan's first term 60 Minutes did a profile of her/him,

View attachment 1297591

and the New York Times has put it best.

Oh, Possums, Dame Edna is no more.

To be unflinchingly precise, Barry Humphries, the Australian-born actor and comic who for almost seven decades brought that divine doyenne of divadom, Dame Edna Everage, to delirious, dotty, disdainful Dadaist life, died on Saturday in Sydney. He was 89.

In case the paywall blocks the reader,

His best known characters had modest roots and grew over time. Dame Edna started as a dowdy suburban housewife, Sir Les started at a performance in a Sydney football club "Humphries claimed to be that club's own entertainments officer as he introduced the next act, Dame Edna Everage"

Humphries was one of that generation of young postwar Australian intellectuals who left the supposed cultural wasteland of Australia for the brighter lights of London. I hope things have improved since . . . . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom