Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
By the way, it is somehow funny for me that the German "Wikipedia" explanation versions are very often much more detailed in the political history of any topic than in any other language.

Just compare or/ and translate these different versions of "the hammer" -story (and be "positively shocked") :

If we only could say this in the end, too:

Well I got a hammer and I got a bell
And I got a song to sing all over this land
It's the hammer of Justice, it's the bell of Freedom
It's the song about Love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land ...

By the way, it is somehow funny for me that the German "Wikipedia" explanation versions are very often much more detailed in the political history of any topic than in any other language.
If you speak several languages and are looking something new up on Wikipedia it's always worth reading the entries from different language versions.

Often it's down to individual editors who are dedicated & knowledgeable on a topic.

For instance on the German entry for the hammer song, the political background is all down to one contributor who says in his profile, one of his main interests is detailed background & history of this kind of music.

Oh yes, and you will meet these obsessively detailed typical German descriptions very often in the German Wikipedia versions, so I might guess, I am not the only German with this obsession to explain everything as perfect as possible until the audience walked already home or died in the middle of my explanation.
:eek:

Just compare or/ and translate these different versions of "the hammer" -story (and be "positively shocked") :

If we only could say this in the end, too:

Well I got a hammer and I got a bell
And I got a song to sing all over this land
It's the hammer of Justice, it's the bell of Freedom
It's the song about Love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land ...
I think both the Wiki article and the Trini Lopez cover version typify the remorseless way the US 'information' media minimises, trivialises - and the 'entertainment' media hijack anything with serious power, prettifies and Disneyfies it - witness Pete Seeger's version:

He really sounds as if he serious means to change things, Trini Lopez is just pretending it's a harmless little ditty.

Oh yes, those were times when the singers were really meaning what they sang and their audiences were really 'bigly' great!

But there are a few examples in history, when good times are coming back again unexpectedly in peace.
I remember an article from 1989, Nov. 17, from the German weekly "Die Zeit" with this historical headline: "Oh Freiheit! Kehrest Du zurück?"
(= "Oh Freedom! Art Thou coming back?") The word "Kehrest" sounded like 200 years old German because it is in fact a line from Beethoven's only opera "Fidelio". The article was written about the falling of the Berlin wall and the possibly coming reunification of Germany.

And after a long time of absence, "Freedom" really came back in peace ...

Julian Bream - classical guitarist and lutenist

pioneer of the revival of early English music

Julian Bream - classical guitarist and lutenist

pioneer of the revival of early English music

I saw him back in 1975 when he performed at my Enormous State University. It was especially memorable because a.) I didn’t know guitar music was good for anything beside folk and rock and b.) because I had an amazingly painful bicycle accident on my way home afterward.

A textbook blending of the sublime and the ridiculous. :rolleyes:

43 years ago.....August 16th,1977.
The world of music lost one of it's most famous musicians to have graced the scene....
The King of Rock 'n' Roll....Elvis Presley.
He was only 42 years old.
I missed him,then and I miss him,even now. :(
R.I.P...The King !!
FB_IMG_1502634403047.jpgIMG_102341739485514.jpegFB_IMG_1578490372138.jpg

Chadwick Boseman, star of "Black Panther" and many other films, has died of colon cancer at the age of 43.
What is truly remarkable is that he had been battling the disease for 4 years; which means that he was under going treatment while film "Black Panther" and other films.

Chadwick Boseman, star of "Black Panther" and many other films, has died of colon cancer at the age of 43.
What is truly remarkable is that he had been battling the disease for 4 years; which means that he was under going treatment while film "Black Panther" and other films.
I can't help but read about a death like this, and immediately start thinking about myself. Maybe I'm a terrible person. But dude was 43, in perfect shape and probably health conscious. I've got 12 years until then, and I haven't been kind to my colon, or really any other part of my body. It's scary. Prayers positive vibes to his loved ones, but fear for myself.

I can't help but read about a death like this, and immediately start thinking about myself. Maybe I'm a terrible person. But dude was 43, in perfect shape and probably health conscious. I've got 12 years until then, and I haven't been kind to my colon, or really any other part of my body. It's scary. Prayers positive vibes to his loved ones, but fear for myself.
Don't get to fuss about it, I have a whole lot of years on you and didn't take great care of myself!
Just be conscious about your health and stay away from stupid stuff like drugs, the illegal kind I mean.
If shit is going to happen, it will. I almost went blind last year and there was absolutely nothing that I could have done to stop it happening.
A brilliant doctor did his magic and I am now better than before.

I had such concerns in my twenties, but forty years later, I am still here. Don't be scared of dying young! If it happens, it unfortunately happens, but I think there is little you can do about it. A lifestyle not kind to your body usually differentiates somewhere from 60-65 on. Although a healthy lifestyle is no guarantee to get old.

Wear a mask in public.
Wash your hands frequently.
Don't be in crowds.
Eat healthy, exercise regularly.
Do good things for other people.
You'll make it.
:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

There are so many factors which can make a human life shorter or longer that we probably will never be able to say how old someone will become.
I was always astonished to hear stories about the former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt after he retired, because there were some news the Germans would not have believed before. For example, he sometimes fell suddenly unconsious during his time in the government because of his many problems with blood pressure and circulatory problems - once even during a state visit in a Chinese opera in Bejing, when the journalists believed, this was too boring for him so he slept but he was really unconscious and his doctor was sitting next to him feeling his blood pressure by his wrist.
Moreover, he was a terrible chain smoker but in his special case and because of his very low blood pressure, his smoking possibly might even have helped him to become older. Really no one expected him to become 97 years old but he was a really good, usually healthy and good-looking man all his life.
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.09.01_14h14m18s_001a_.jpg
After his wife died, he even apologized publicly for twice not having been a faithful husband and one German comedian said the week after, the rooms of his bureau had always so much smoke in it that all the Germans would understand when he could no more recognize his wife and distinguish her from his secretary, so the Germans forgave his few marital mistakes, because for most of us, he was a true hero who saved many lifes because of his decisions during the storm flooding of Hamburg in 1962 and his decision to storm militarily a terrorist-hijacked German airplane in 1977.

It is strange, but when I think of him, I always have this song in my mind and I am thinking, it was very good to have lived myself in such a time of such great human beings although their lifes should have been longer:

David Graeber, 1961-2020

Known as author of several argumentative books on socio-economic matters such as 'Debt: The first 5000 years' and 'Bullshit Jobs',
activist with the Occupy Wall Street movement,
and professor of anthropology.

Back
Top Bottom