Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
... and I would like to add this:
It was a historical stroke or piece of luck that Giscard d'Estaing was President of France at the same time when Helmut Schmidt was German Chancellor because I remember that they really became and stayed friends all the time and all their life since they met for the first time. They introduced the "ECU" as currency unit between France and Germany and always coordinated the value of their currencies with each other. Sometimes, they made telephone calls with each other on a daily basis when there was an economical crisis.

This extremely good relationship was rather unusual for all observers because Schmidt was from a social-democratic party and Giscard d'Estaing was from a conservative party.

But it was said about both that they had exactly the same kind of humor and both were said to be very straight in telling their opinions and wishes.
Both were said to be so intelligent that they could be misunderstood as being "arrogant" but with each other, they worked together as if they had known each other from a "kindergarten".
There was the joke in Germany, if one of both would have been born as a woman, they surely would have married because they seemed to have been made for each other.
This was the best friendship for both countries France and Germany since the early Middle-Ages, some German journalists wrote.

I think, you can really see it in the pictures, that they almost "loved" each other all their lifes. Schmidt once said on German TV towards Giscard d'Estaing:
- "It is really rare in politics to find a good friend for life, so I really thank you very much for your friendship, dear Valéry!"
And Giscard d'Estaing answered: - "And so do I, dear Helmut!"

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.03_11h54m53s_002_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.03_11h54m10s_001_.jpg

So Giscard d’Estaing’s death reminds me of the robot Giskard from Asimov’s science fiction novels. If you haven’t read them, I can’t say much about Giskard without spoiling the plot.. but he is (for me) one of the most fascinating characters in sci-fi. Here he is portrayed by artist Michael Whelan , appropriately gazing into the future
F782CB30-FC31-4488-8556-6F036609A388.jpeg
(Cover art for “Robots of Dawn” by Isaac Asimov)

I wasn't born but I heard that he was a modern president who wanted to "dust" the French society ...
He did the majority ( for voting) at 18th , he supported Simone Weil for the contraception/abortion law, he was for Europe and tried to built it more and more ....
Well, it seems that he was a great President ... :clapping:... alas often misunderstood !
It was double. On one hand, he was with his age of 48, relatively young for a French president (compared to his predecessors De Gaulle and Pompidou, and Coty and Auriol from the 4th republic. Many saw him as 'the French Kennedy'. On the other hand, he had to take into account the more conservative Gaullists in his government.

During his term, the 'Trente Glorieuses', thirty years of economic growth and prosperity in France (1945-1975) came to an end. France came into economic crisis, and although being an expert in finance and economics, Giscard did not succeed in solving the problems, which caused his defeat in the elections of 1981 against Mitterrand.

Not a person, but one of the most amazing scientific instruments ever built, the Arecibo radio telescope has collapsed and is not repairable. Hard to think it was 57 years old. It featured in Golden Eye.

When I read some anglicized names, I sometimes think, there is really much truth in the ancient (Roman) saying "nomen est omen".
Yeager is the German word "Jäger", meaning "hunter" or "huntsman", but written in English and spoken almost exactly the same way ... and when I look at the life of Chuck Yeager ... he flew airplanes which are in German itself "Jäger" or "Jagdflugzeuge" = "Hunters" and "pursuit planes which are hunting other fighter planes".

I think I had looked at it frame by frame (long time ago with a VCR) did she not wear a swimsuit then? BTW, the nude to be discovered in James Bond is.... How could it be otherwise: Grace Jones.
Ha found prove for my statements! Surely I will soon get promoted to Trumps legal team.... Actually yes, Ursula Andress wears a skin coloured bathing suit in Bond's decontamination scene. Actually she is not afraid of being nude otherwise. But it is the philosophy of Bond movies that nudity and sex is implied not shown. I can live with that. And there is an exception , the girls in the intro song are real nudes but are implied to be dressed, British humour I guess.decontamination.jpgDLS4XSRVAAUkb9y.jpg

Last edited:
RIP Chuck Yeager!

Here a scene from 'The Right Stuff', with astronaut recruiters arriving at Edward's Air Force Base. While discussing the competences of the Yeager character in the movie (played by Sam Shepard), the real Yeager shows up in a small part as the bartender with the hat.

Never knew the real Yeager was in that movie! Thanks.. (I loved the book too, by Tom Wolfe I believe.. really stressed the point that in all these attempts to go higher and faster than ever before, there is something of a quest for the Sublime...)

Never knew the real Yeager was in that movie! Thanks.. (I loved the book too, by Tom Wolfe I believe.. really stressed the point that in all these attempts to go higher and faster than ever before, there is something of a quest for the Sublime...)
The real Yeager was in another scene too as the bartender, always 'strategically' in the frame with the key characters of the scene (his rival Scott Crossfield, and the Yeager and Glennis characters).

Rip Sean Connery, a true legend. One by one, everyone who built my childhood is fading away. I feel old.
We should not forget, since we are here in a crux forum, that there is actually a crucifixion scene of Sean Connery, okay, not with loincloth, not nude, not with sedile, not with cornu (well guess Scottish males would have no problem with such thing, as they are always nude under the kilt, which makes male stronger down there, I guess :Laie_22mini:), not with nails, but even better with a LASER which is on the way to make huge damage on the important parts of male physiognomy.... You remember this scene? goldfinger-laser.jpg

Last edited:
We should not forget, since we are here in a crux forum, that there is actually a crucifixion scene of Sean Connery, okay, not with loincloth, not nude, not with sedile, not with cornu (well guess Scottish males would have no problem with such thing, as they are always nude under the kilt, which makes male stronger down there, I guess :Laie_22mini:), not with nails, but even better with a LASER which is on the way to make huge damage on the important parts of male physiognomy.... You remember this scene? View attachment 936748
(Grimly) "You expect me to talk?"

(Laughing) "No, Mr. Bond! I expect you to die!"

Gert Fröbe really was one of the greatest German actors ever and he could play every character so well that I always was afraid he is in reality a bit crazy.
One of his most famous roles, I think, was in 1958 in "Es geschah am hellichten Tag" (= "It happened in bright daylight"), when he played a psychopathic serial child murderer who really made me afraid. But the other great character in the same movie, the investigating police inspector was Heinz Rühmann who always played the sympathetic "little man from the normal people" who always was somehow successful in the end, so you knew this movie would show justice in the end, but both were astonishing in this movie:
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.08_20h12m31s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.08_20h13m46s_002_.jpg

But only 11 years before and few Germans still know that old story, Gert Fröbe played a character which became part of the German standard language: "Otto Normalverbraucher", ...
... which is in other languages the typical person with an average life and consumption. I think, in American English it is "the average Joe" or the "ordinary Joe". In Sweden, the name Svensson is so common that it is there the "medel Svensson" (= middle class Svensson).
So, in 1947 after WW II, almost all Germans seemed to be very slim because of some years of not having eaten enough and even Gert Fröbe looked very thin and older than 10 years later ...
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.14_07h06m08s_004_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.14_07h02m39s_003_.jpg ... and in one interview 25 years later, he said, these war times really ruined his normal kind of having meals because when he was able to eat as much as he wanted, he always was afraid in his subconsciousness, he could be starving once again. So he always was a bit too fat in his later years as most of the German people were who had similar experiences during the war.
But he was really great in every role he ever played, funny in movies for children as bearded robber in "Räuber Hotzenplotz" but usually "frightening good" as a split or evil character:
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.14_07h00m35s_002_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.14_04h28m09s_006_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.11.14_06h59m04s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.12.08_20h37m07s_004_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2020.12.08_20h35m58s_003_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_2020.12.08_20h37m42s_005_.jpg

Last edited:
Gert Fröbe really was one of the greatest German actors ever and he could play every character so well that I always was afraid he is in reality a bit crazy.
One of his most famous roles, I think, was in 1958 in "Es geschah am hellichten Tag" (= "It happened in bright daylight"), when he played a psychopathic serial child murderer who really made me afraid. But the other great character in the same movie, the investigating police inspector was Heinz Rühmann who always played the sympathetic "little man from the normal people" who always was somehow successful in the end, so you knew this movie would show justice in the end, but both were astonishing in this movie:
View attachment 936814 View attachment 936815

But only 11 years before and few Germans still know that old story, Gert Fröbe played a character which became part of the German standard language: "Otto Normalverbraucher", ...
... which is in other languages the typical person with an average life and consumption. I think, in American English it is "the average Joe" or the "ordinary Joe". In Sweden, the name Svensson is so common that it is there the "medel Svensson" (= middle class Svensson).
So, in 1947 after WW II, almost all Germans seemed to be very slim because of some years of not having eaten enough and even Gert Fröbe looked very thin and older than 10 years later ...
View attachment 936819 View attachment 936820 ... and in one interview 25 years later, he said, these war times really ruined his normal kind of having meals because when he was able to eat as much as he wanted, he always was afraid in his subconsciousness, he could be starving once again. So he always was a bit too fat in his later years as most of the German people were who had similar experiences during the war.
But he was really great in every role he ever played, funny in movies for children as bearded robber in "Räuber Hotzenplotz" but usually "frightening good" as a split or evil character:
View attachment 936821 View attachment 936831 View attachment 936832 View attachment 936842View attachment 936843View attachment 936844
I think that one pic, in the German uniform, he is a German soldier in the "longest day" movie about D-Day riding an ass. Hotzenplotz I did not see I should look for the DVD. "Es geschah am helllichten Tag" was the movie I meant for playing the villain. Heinz Rühman is an interesting figure as actor, as pilot and as man living during Hitler time.

Back
Top Bottom