Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
What a woman! What a life story! Whatever the rights and wrongs of her quarrel with her sister, she was certainly a woman who took no shit from any man, however powerful, and those who tried to mess her around got more than they bargained for!
Long ago, I saw a Hollywood show, electing 'the greatest movie ever'. It was 'Gone with the wind' that came out as the winner. The host of the show emphasized that, sadly, so many people connecterd to the movie, had left us already : Howard, Fleming, McDaniel, Gable, Selznick, Leigh,... It was broadcasted in the summer of 1977, right, 43 years ago. And then one of the key actors lives out to 104 years old, into the next century. Must be a very strange feeling.

I recall her also from her role in 'The charge of the light brigade' (version 1936). In that year 1977 I just mentioned, she also appeared in Airport 77, I then saw, something completely different than Gone with the Wind.

I refuse to speak ill of the dead. And unchurched as I am, I still believe gloating in these cases is a sin.

But Herman Cain has made it difficult.

One of very few politicians, in Northern Ireland especially, or in the world in general, that I can really admire

I refuse to speak ill of the dead. And unchurched as I am, I still believe gloating in these cases is a sin.

But Herman Cain has made it difficult.

This "thing" is really pretty scary. He gets it and spends a MONTH in the hospital before he dies (not only unpleasant but expensive as hell). There was just something in Science about a 38-year-old female neuroscientist who "recovered" but still has "brain fog" and fatigue and joint pain and can't work out at all like she used to, and can't even really go back to her lab like she used to. Apparently lingering symptoms like this occur in 15% or so of cases (so it isn't "harmless in 99% of cases").
Yes, gloating is a sin. Let's all hope one of the vaccines gives acceptable immunity and doesn't cause any reactions. We just have to wait for the testing to be thorough enough, despite what Vladimir Vladimirovitch rushes out.

This "thing" is really pretty scary. He gets it and spends a MONTH in the hospital before he dies (not only unpleasant but expensive as hell). There was just something in Science about a 38-year-old female neuroscientist who "recovered" but still has "brain fog" and fatigue and joint pain and can't work out at all like she used to, and can't even really go back to her lab like she used to. Apparently lingering symptoms like this occur in 15% or so of cases (so it isn't "harmless in 99% of cases").
Yes, gloating is a sin. Let's all hope one of the vaccines gives acceptable immunity and doesn't cause any reactions. We just have to wait for the testing to be thorough enough, despite what Vladimir Vladimirovitch rushes out.

“Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump,” Cain wrote. “PEOPLE ARE FED UP!”

You reap what you sow

We don't know what long term effects this thing has, it's still new. Better not to catch it, eh?

There was just something in Science about a 38-year-old female neuroscientist who "recovered" but still has "brain fog" and fatigue and joint pain and can't work out at all like she used to, and can't even really go back to her lab like she used to. Apparently lingering symptoms like this occur in 15% or so of cases (so it isn't "harmless in 99% of cases").
That is very important ... there are a lot of 'utilitarians' out there (for instance the Swedish government also) who argued that what is the point of 'hurting the economy' that much when only 'such a small number of people die' of which they then sometimes cynically imply, they were going to die anyway.

Apart from that not even really being true ... if you go for a 'herd immunity' with 70% catching the disease, what is the 'economic harm' (for those of these people who can't wrap their minds around the idea of the relevance of human suffering) of a significant part of all these people only slowly or never recovering their full abilites.

so even from a purely economical outlook, based on the idea that 'all that our citizens matter for, is for producing GDP and paying taxes' ...even if that is what governments think of their people, rushing headlong into the herd immunity strategy is not advisable.

I think, unfortunately, we can forget all this talking about the concept of "herd immunity" in the case of this coronavirus, not only because we do not know how many persons are infected without showing symptoms of an illness in the beginning (and we still do not know if they might have symptoms later), but also because "anti-bodies" after an infection are usually a kind of measurement to prove that you are immune against a disease in the future. There are medical reports from Spain and also from the first infected persons in Germany that persons with an asymptomatic infection develop "anti-bodies" against this coronavirus as it was expected - but only two months later, the number of their "anti-bodies" was already reduced for around 80 % ! So, we still do not know if they remain immune against a new infection with this virus or if their immune system "forgets" this infection faster than any infection before.
If this "worst" case should be true, even a vaccine would only immunize for a limited time and we all would have to take part in vaccination campaigns every year in order to stay immune similar to the annual vaccinations in Germany against the "influenza viruses" if you want to be relatively sure not to catch a "true flu" and be ill for 2 weeks in winter.
Maybe, you find more about this problem in other publications worldwide, I found it here in German language in this article which asks if there could be only 5 % of Spain's population "immune" up to now in spite of so many cases of illness and death. Then, this country and we all would be very far away from "herd immunity", which might be absolutely impossible to achieve with this coronavirus:

Bill English, co-inventor of the computer mouse, has died aged 91

With touch screens and track pads and things yet to be invented, how soon will it be when the grand-kids ask "You used WHAT?"

That is very important ... there are a lot of 'utilitarians' out there (for instance the Swedish government also) who argued that what is the point of 'hurting the economy' that much when only 'such a small number of people die' of which they then sometimes cynically imply, they were going to die anyway.

Apart from that not even really being true ... if you go for a 'herd immunity' with 70% catching the disease, what is the 'economic harm' (for those of these people who can't wrap their minds around the idea of the relevance of human suffering) of a significant part of all these people only slowly or never recovering their full abilites.

so even from a purely economical outlook, based on the idea that 'all that our citizens matter for, is for producing GDP and paying taxes' ...even if that is what governments think of their people, rushing headlong into the herd immunity strategy is not advisable.
This might be of some interest. At least research is fired up and paying attention.

Bill English, co-inventor of the computer mouse, has died aged 91

With touch screens and track pads and things yet to be invented, how soon will it be when the grand-kids ask "You used WHAT?"
Tangentially apropos (now there's a language barrier that's not English only):
blondietapnobottle.gif

American singer and actor Trini Lopez (1937 - 2020).

'If I had a hammer' (1963)

(on CF, such a song title brings people on ideas).
I'm pretty sure there is a picture of a crucifixion somwhere here with the title 'A hammer in the morning' but I forget right now what it was ...
Of course that is all besides the intent of the artist we are commemoting ... but hey it is a pervert forum ;)

Back
Top Bottom