Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Footballer Nobby Stiles,one of the members,of England's 1966 World Cup winning team,has passed away after,a long illness,he was 78.
View attachment 919458
Rest In Peace Nobby. :(
I was once at a Trade dinner and the guest speaker was Wilf McGuiness, the ex Man Utd player and assistant manager to Alf Ramsey in 1966, and he came out with an anecdote about "Nobby".
Wilf was a very good mimic and could reproduce Ramsey`s clipped speech and Stiles` broad Lancashire accent.
Before England played Portugal, in his team talk ,Ramsey stressed that Portugal`s best player was Eusebio and that he wanted Nobby to take him out of the game. Nobby`s response, "Do you mean just for tonight, or for effing life"

I was once at a Trade dinner and the guest speaker was Wilf McGuiness, the ex Man Utd player and assistant manager to Alf Ramsey in 1966, and he came out with an anecdote about "Nobby".
Wilf was a very good mimic and could reproduce Ramsey`s clipped speech and Stiles` broad Lancashire accent.
Before England played Portugal, in his team talk ,Ramsey stressed that Portugal`s best player was Eusebio and that he wanted Nobby to take him out of the game. Nobby`s response, "Do you mean just for tonight, or for effing life"
Credit to Alf Ramsey: in the previous game against France, Stiles carried out a similar job on their key player, Jacques Simon, to the extent that Simon was injured and could not continue the game. The English Football Association (who were responsible for the England team) wanted Stiles to play no more part in the tournament. Ramsey refused, saying that if Stiles went, so did he.

From Fountainbridge in Edinburgh.

In 2000, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II at Holyrood Palace.

Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she was “heartbroken” to learn of Connery’s death.
“Our nation today mourns one of her best loved sons,” Sturgeon said. “Sean was born into a working class Edinburgh family and through talent and sheer hard work, became an international film icon and one of the world’s most accomplished actors. Sean will be remembered best as James Bond — the classic 007 — but his roles were many and varied.”
She continued: “He was a global legend but, first and foremost, a patriotic and proud Scot – his towering presence at the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999 showed his love for the country of his birth. Sean was a lifelong advocate of an independent Scotland and those of us who share that belief owe him a great debt of gratitude.”

His James Bond movies were before my time - I grew up as a teen in the Roger Moore era, but those times, there were regularly reprises in cinema, so I ultimately saw them all.

I mostly recall him for later movies, such as A Bridge Too Far, The Name of the Rose, The Untouchables, Robin and Marian, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October,... and many more (like Never Say Never Again). RIP for a great actor.

One of my favorites. RIP, Lionel Hardcastle!
Yes, it seems he was in pretty well every great comedy series on British tv, not to mention Dr Who, Bond, Mrs Brown, etc etc.
I think this clip - with another great comic, the late Leonard Rossiter, is appropriate for the troubled times:

Back
Top Bottom