Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Dead at the ripe-old age of 101, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet in his own right and publisher of many of the beat poets, including, most famously Alan Ginsburg, publication of whose "Howl" got Ferlinghetti arrested for willfully and lewdly printing indecent writings, a charge of which he was eventually acquitted. He founded and ran for decades the famous City Lights bookstore in San Francisco.

Dead at the ripe-old age of 101, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet in his own right and publisher of many of the beat poets, including, most famously Alan Ginsburg, publication of whose "Howl" got Ferlinghetti arrested for willfully and lewdly printing indecent writings, a charge of which he was eventually acquitted. He founded and ran for decades the famous City Lights bookstore in San Francisco.
It was from this poem by Ferlinghetti that I learned that writers --actually, all artists-- must take risks to succeed.

Constantly Risking Absurdity (#15)​

BY LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI
Constantly risking absurdity
and death
whenever he performs
above the heads
of his audience
the poet like an acrobat
climbs on rime
to a high wire of his own making
and balancing on eyebeams
above a sea of faces
paces his way
to the other side of day
performing entrechats
and sleight-of-foot tricks
and other high theatrics
and all without mistaking
any thing
for what it may not be

For he's the super realist
who must perforce perceive
taut truth
before the taking of each stance or step
in his supposed advance
toward that still higher perch
where Beauty stands and waits
with gravity
to start her death-defying leap

And he
a little charleychaplin man
who may or may not catch
her fair eternal form
spreadeagled in the empty air
of existence

I discovered 'Howl' in a crumbling paperback in a second-hand bookshop when I was an impressionable teen, it bowled me over. I thought Ferlinghetti was long since gone, he must have been the last survivor of an amazing generation.

I discovered 'Howl' in a crumbling paperback in a second-hand bookshop when I was an impressionable teen, it bowled me over. I thought Ferlinghetti was long since gone, he must have been the last survivor of an amazing generation.
"The Last Waltz" is regarded by many as the best Rock concert film ever. At the concert in San Francisco, they asked Ferlinghetti to say a prayer - Lawrence did not let them down.
Eul - LF didn't write Howl - his good friend Allen Ginsberg did.

Eul - LF didn't write Howl - his good friend Allen Ginsberg did.
I know, but Ferlinghetti published it and got prosecuted for it (as Windar mentioned above) -
but thanks for that classic video of Ginsburg reading.

Fanne Foxe made a 1974 appearance in Milestones some years back,

and the sex scandal that vaporized an American politician's career is either long forgotten or never even heard of by most of the planet's population.

CB8C8EEC-2EBD-4335-A0DD-7BC118371A09.jpeg
D06CA08D-229C-415A-8579-44F942D96099.jpeg

She passed on December 10 at the ripe old age of 84,

and her post "Argentine Firecracker" days can only be described as a descent into utter respectability. By which I mean she was smart, and an uncommonly accomplished person.

[She] moved to St. Petersburg, Fla., in the late 1980s, and undertook a series of challenging late-in-life academic pursuits. She earned a bachelor’s degree in communications from the University of Tampa in 1995 and a master’s in marine science (in 2001) and a master’s in business administration (2004) from the University of South Florida, all with magna cum laude honors.

Michael Gudinski, colossus of Australian music for almost half a century

May not be a household name outside Oz, how many of you have heard of Mushroom Records? You'll see it in the credits of many Australian TV shows

Some clips in this one

Comic book artist Frank Thorne, creator of Red Sonja and many other lovely creatures popular with members of CF, died March 7 at the age of 90.

Murray Walker, the undisputed "voice of motorsport", famous for his very own brand of "Murrayisms" (such as "There's no damage to his car except that it's on fire" etc) died yesterday at the ripe old age of 97

Back
Top Bottom