Passings...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Fifty years ago,today....the American Rock 'n' Roll singer,Gene Vincent passed away,after a long battle with alcoholism...
His most notable hit record was "Be-Bop-a-Lula",in 1956.
R.I.P.Gene Vincent. 11/2/'35 - 12/10/'71.
View attachment 1074184
At first glance I thought you had made a mistake with the maths there, as I couldn't imagine 1971 being half a century ago - Holy fuck I feel old now :(

I remember him. Sorry to hear he had difficulties in life after hollywood fame. He's not the first child actor to have their lives affected negatively by the industry.
Not just child actors. If you are an actor--especially a star and not a "character actor"--you are always looking over your shoulder. You need to keep the money flowing. You are probably spending lavishly to keep up appearances. There is a lot of pressure--you have to maintain your popularity. Add to that the fact that you are lionized publicly but that doesn't help in personal relationships and ordinary life. And you're bored when you aren't working. I once read something about Hollywood marriages. "Two titanic egos".

This is why I don't have much sympathy for celebrities who have problems with "paparazzi". People who are always pushing their brand and making obscene amounts of money (as opposed to a nurse, say, or an engineer, or even a doctor) are exploiting the paparazzi just as much as the paparazzi are exploiting them. If you don't like it, do something else.

(Yes, I'm thinking of you, Madonna.)

Not just child actors. If you are an actor--especially a star and not a "character actor"--you are always looking over your shoulder. You need to keep the money flowing. You are probably spending lavishly to keep up appearances. There is a lot of pressure--you have to maintain your popularity. Add to that the fact that you are lionized publicly but that doesn't help in personal relationships and ordinary life. And you're bored when you aren't working. I once read something about Hollywood marriages. "Two titanic egos".

This is why I don't have much sympathy for celebrities who have problems with "paparazzi". People who are always pushing their brand and making obscene amounts of money (as opposed to a nurse, say, or an engineer, or even a doctor) are exploiting the paparazzi just as much as the paparazzi are exploiting them. If you don't like it, do something else.

(Yes, I'm thinking of you, Madonna.)
I totally agree with you. I have no sympathy for celebs either. And I've long since grown weary of the word 'hero' being applied to those who play professional sports, or any sport for that matter. In fact it makes me angry, and don't get me started on the equally obscene amounts of money they make.

Yesterday, a German legend died: Possibly the best German journalist and reporter of the last 100 years.

Gerd Ruge (93), who spoke fluently German, English, French and Russian.
He really can only be compared to internationally famous and legendary journalists like Walter Cronkite or Peter Jennings.

Because of his talent for languages and his always compassionate kind of asking questions, he became famous right after WW II and he was in 1956 the first accredited (West-) German journalist in Moscow after the worst of all wars between Germans and Russians!

Everyone who ever met him said: "This is the friendliest and most compassionate man I ever met in this job!"

He once also said that he did not really wanted to be there where something for the headlines of the world happened but, " ... maybe, this is my destiny."
For example, after he returned back from the then-Soviet Union / Russia to Germany, he became the German chief correspondant for the USA and he was only some meters away when Senator Robert F. Kennedy was murdered on June 6th, 1968. His report from the USA with tears in his eyes and in an almost broken voice was one of the most remembered reports ever on German TV.

He was also able to interview for German TV all famous persons in the USA (from Kennedy to Clinton) and in Russia (from Krushchew to Gorbatchov).

Possibly the best one in this job we Germans ever had:

Beat me to it, Princess. ;)

Beat me to it, Princess. ;)

Colin Powell, a man who at least had the decency to look profoundly uncomfortable when called upon to lie in public. Nowadays that seems rather quaint.

Colin Powell, a man who at least had the decency to look profoundly uncomfortable when called upon to lie in public. Nowadays that seems rather quaint.
"Helped lie the United States into the invasion of Iraq" is a pretty damn damning line in any obituary.

yeah, ridding the world of Saddam Hussein is about the worst thing that could ever have happened
During the 90’s this was 956.794 K in my branch collection.

42607146-6479-4CB9-9792-3E9D3A6C7616.jpeg

I did not have the stomach to read it through.

Yeah, Saddam needed killing. It was the criminally botched occupation we’re still living with.

That’s a fair point, but I think the case for war was largely based on WMD’s, and most of that was a lie.
Blame the intel that reported that information to the executive branch. In this case the old adage "don't kill the messenger" does not apply.
Just for debate let's say the intel was correct about WMDs and the President ignored it and that resulted in a catastrophic attack on a large
American city that would make 9/11 look like it was a sandbox fight. How do you think that would have gone over ?

If you were in charge and got that intel from the source you are supposed to trust, what would you have done ?

It's easy to be a Monday morning QB

Blame the intel that reported that information to the executive branch. In this case the old adage "don't kill the messenger" does not apply.
Just for debate let's say the intel was correct about WMDs and the President ignored it and that resulted in a catastrophic attack on a large
American city that would make 9/11 look like it was a sandbox fight. How do you think that would have gone over ?

If you were in charge and got that intel from the source you are supposed to trust, what would you have done ?

It's easy to be a Monday morning QB
And he was the only member of the cabinet to oppose the invasion.

A discussion of which we can continue over on Conversations if you like, Danielle. But I don’t really.

I would like to add a funny story between Colin Powell and the German Green Party member "Joschka Fischer" who once also was our Foreign Minister.

In Europe, you can sometimes be happily surprised how well some persons with different political ideas and intentions could become a kind of friends.
Powell and Fischer were always in a kind of friendly teasing each other when they met and Fischer as a "Green one" once told Powell: "You US-Americans simply have to learn that you cannot use all resources and then you are throwing them away. On this planet we cannot go on like this for much longer times. For example, the German beer which we are drinking here in the German foreign ministry is in glass bottles on which there is an additional bottle deposit and my ministry collects all of them and brings the bottles back to the breweries which let them clean or melt in order to make new bottles out of the same glass. We also try to recycle all our cans and spare a lot of money by this. You should this do, too, in the USA with all your bottles and cans!"
Powell: "Hrrrm! We will see ... but this German beer is really good. Could I take with me some of these bottles from here to the USA?"
Fischer: "Yes, sure, I even will give you some beer crates and several six-packs from different breweries as a little friendship present!"
About three months later, an US-Captain arrived at the German Foreign Ministry and handed all the emptied bottles and cans for Fischer back with this message from Colin Powell:
"You Germans can do this recycling much better than we in the USA and you have told me, you could get a lot of spared money back! Thank you very much for this excellent beer!"
Fischer was said to have laughed for the rest of this day.
;)

This world is really a dangerous place, especially for women.

In Germany, 12th September this year, Agnes Tirop, a Kenyan long-distance runner smashed the world record for the 10km run for women in a new best time: 30:01 minutes (before: 30:29 !) and we Germans love every athlete who breaks world records on German territory!

In Kenya, 13th October this year, she was found stabbed to death, probably killed by her husband.
Her latest athletics trophy was not even unwrapped yet.
Her funeral was held on the day she would have turned 26 years old:

Back
Top Bottom