Playing by post

Go to CruxDreams.com
Cool. What rule changes did you do?

I was thinking of more than an executioner but a narrator giving a framework for some stories. You'd have a band of adventurers getting up to mischief and getting caught and punished for it. This would include resurrection/healing for more mischief and punishment.

I suppose the obvious question that leads from this is: if such a thing is feasible and someone has sufficient motivation to run it, would there be interest on this board to get a game running?

I have done RP crux with d20/dnd rules on Mp5stab's discord.
Dont get me wrong the d20 rules are only to determine if a character is losing stamina/CON. after a period.
0 con is dead, no possibility for rescue anymore.

The rest is roleplay most of the times there is no need for the rules.
For me RP in a textchat environment like discord is quite good.
RP on a forum like this? not for me I'm afraid.
Maybe someone else :p

I have done RP crux with d20/dnd rules on Mp5stab's discord.
Dont get me wrong the d20 rules are only to determine if a character is losing stamina/CON. after a period.
0 con is dead, no possibility for rescue anymore.

The rest is roleplay most of the times there is no need for the rules.
For me RP in a textchat environment like discord is quite good.
RP on a forum like this? not for me I'm afraid.
Maybe someone else :p
I don't think it's a good idea to go rules heavy. More a 'what would you do' and let the players decide and the organiser does the rolling behind the scenes. I'm skeptical of play by post myself but hear DND Beyond has quite a following so maybe it could work.

I don't think it's a good idea to go rules heavy. More a 'what would you do' and let the players decide and the organiser does the rolling behind the scenes. I'm skeptical of play by post myself but hear DND Beyond has quite a following so maybe it could work.
That's what I usually do, I talk with the other participants about the general outline of the scenario. Then I describe what happens and let the others tell me what they do/how they react.

Thanks for the invitation I'm trying to overcome a play by post rpg block after finally mastering roll20 and discord. I figure this might be the way to do it. Assuming there's interest.

A LONG time ago I used to RP on the IRCs and while it was better than nothing as Malins pointed out differing time zones and schedules can bog things down.

Think of it as you make a move and then sign off. It may be hours (days) before the other player would make their move. I don't know about you but that would frustrate the hell out of me. To me a major component of a good RPG is game flow.

Both Discord and SL allow for more real time interaction with people from all over the globe who are available when you are. SeD and I are 6 hours apart clock wise so we arrange to meet at "X" time and then we get to play for 2-3 hours. If a play is going to take longer then we have, we stop at a natural break point and pick it up later from that point. SeD has even introduced (virtual) dicing for some of the decision making.

There are options already out there all you have to do is find a playmate and take it from there.

kisses

willowfall

Back
Top Bottom