Pop-up block?

Go to CruxDreams.com
I have been getting this window opening when I try to get into here on my laptop. Fortunately I can still get in as usual on my iPad. Can anyone help please because I prefer to use the laptop, & it’s where my crux files are kept.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• 15373F10-6470-4000-A545-B7FD10FFC23B.png
    15373F10-6470-4000-A545-B7FD10FFC23B.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 35
You may not have changed your settings, but your browser, or your laptop itself, may have done in an update. It seems to think CF is (still) not a secure, https, site, but it actually is now. Have you tried 'show details'? It should give you the option to over-ride the block. Otherwise, like Madiosi says, try a different browser, and check the security options on your laptop too.

You may not have changed your settings, but your browser, or your laptop itself, may have done in an update. It seems to think CF is (still) not a secure, https, site, but it actually is now. Have you tried 'show details'? It should give you the option to over-ride the block. Otherwise, like Madiosi says, try a different browser, and check the security options on your laptop too.
Thanks Eulalia. I tried the ‘show details’ but it just cancels out. I’ll try a different browser, I’ve been using Safari. Whats best for privacy?

Thanks Eulalia. I tried the ‘show details’ but it just cancels out. I’ll try a different browser, I’ve been using Safari. Whats best for privacy?
I'm surprised no-one else has come up with suggestions! I use Chrome, which I know many wouldn't recommend. But I always use Incognito, keep a special gmail a/c for 'Eulalia', have Malwarebytes Premium, clear out any unnecessary files, downloads, etc. that might have to do with my CF activities each night before switching off - and, after 12 years, I've never seen any evidence of my activities here influencing the kinds of adverts, spam emails etc. that come my way, any malware etc. getting in, or any other hints of my privacy being breached or security compromised.

I think the easiest way is to reserve a browser just for CruxForums. Don't use any other website, or, alternatively, visit only crux-related sites. If you need to use a search engine, for example Google, do not login into its services, or do so using an account dedicated to your crux activity. For these uses, I find using an alternative browser much easier than always navigating in a private window: I can keep sessions open, save passwords, etc. It's also less error-prone, and a bit safer from the point of view of account security, because you don't have to enter the same password again and again.

Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based browsers (SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, Basilisk...) have a nifty feature called "user profiles". Basically, you can simulate a different browser without installing it. At startup, Firefox (and the others) can be instructed to ask you which profile to use, and each profile is like Firefox was installed in a different computer. To switch profiles, just close Firefox, reopen it, and select a new profile. Very useful to maintain different Internet "personas" without having to install several browsers.

Personally, I use SeaMonkey for my "non-public" (what an euphemism!) Internet activities, be it fetish browsing or shopping intimate clothing and gadgets. It is not as up to date as other browsers, but it receives regular security patches, and works with all the sites I need.

All this assumes that you have a private computer, or that your spouse/partner knows about your dark side. If you use a shared computer, I'd follow Eulalia's advise, through.

And, of course, it goes without saying that you must keep your system and browser up to date with security updates, and have an up-to-date antivirus (if you use Windows, the one built into the recent versions works nicely). Older OSes without security support (like Windows 7 or, ahem, Windows XP) is a no-no.

Edit: I've realized that there are two sides to "privacy". One is keeping Internet services from tracking you. The other, keeping your activities unknown to people using your same computer or living with you. My recommendations cover the first side. Eulalia's cover the second. They are not excluding -- you can apply one, the other, or both. It depends on what are your worries.

Lot of good advice there, thanks Luises. The most irritating - and at times potentially risky - thing about the modern tech monopolies is the way they want to lump all the services you access together so they can use what you do in one place to intrude into others - e.g. having a reserved email a/c for 'Eulalia', I had to stop Google from popping up suggestions (including the email address) for 'Eulalia' when I was doing other things (e.g. on TripAdvisor) - even though I was using Firefox, not Chrome, and I only use that a/c via Chrome in incognito mode. I had to find the settings for the account and switch off all the unwanted default options. Even out in the 'real world', away from CF, I try to cancel all those systems that promise to 'bring all your activities together' - I'd rather keep them apart!

I still cannot get in here on my laptop. Firefox shows me this when I try.

At least I can with my iPad but I cannot post any attachments from that.

Attachments

• Firefox dropdown.png
    Firefox dropdown.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 12
I have no problem accessing CF via Firefox, I did so last week when Chrome was temporarily causing a minor issue with our registration procedures - there was no problem when I used Firefox (and there ceased to be any on Chrome within 24 hours) Have you tried other browsers on your laptop?

CF also works with Firefox in my computer (tested in a private window, of course;-) ). Maybe it's a problem with Firefox's configuration or plugins. Try to start Firefox in "safe mode" or to create a clean profile and see if that solves your problem. Mozilla's website has instructions on how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom