posting a link to another thread

Go to CruxDreams.com
How do I insert a link, or the title only of another thread into a post? I tried the copy link address, but I post the message this box pops up and seems to be loading the entire thread instead of a link.

How do I insert a link, or the title only of another thread into a post? I tried the copy link address, but I post the message this box pops up and seems to be loading the entire thread instead of a link.
It’s not loading the entire thread, don’t worry. You’re doing it right; for some reason the site is lately a bit slow to load links of all kinds, maybe it’s checking them for viruses or something, I don’t know. But you can click away while it’s still thinking about it, and the link will work (I’ve found).

I have found that the 'insert link' function (icon that looks like two links in a chain) works much better than simply pasting the link.

I've just done exactly that in 'New Threads'.

I have found that the 'insert link' function (icon that looks like two links in a chain) works much better than simply pasting the link.

I've just done exactly that in 'New Threads'.
I’m going to try that right now..
Using the “insert link” icon:
https://www.sadanduseless.com/hairy-hats-gallery/
Just pasting link into the post:

Result: both work, but the second one seemed to be buffering for a while after I posted it, just as @wulf described.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going to try that right now..
Using the “insert link” icon:
https://www.sadanduseless.com/hairy-hats-gallery/
Just pasting link into the post:

Result: both work, but the second one seemed to be buffering for a long time, just as @wulf described.
Both have come up fine on my browser, Monty.

And if I had simply encountered that website, my first thought would have been, 'Oh, Monty would like this!' :p

One tip, if you want to insert a link to specific post, right-click on the wee number at top right of that post and select 'Copy link address'. Then you can insert it using the 'Insert link' icon (or Ctrl + k). And if you want to link to a specific thread, do the same with the first post in that thread.

I am going to say something that will maybe give the admins apoplexy
I have tried to paste a link into a post. Lately, the site has been "thinking"--the bars come up and blink at me after I try to save, and the machine seems to hang. Eventually it will work, I think. I don't know what is going on. Xenforo seems to indicate that there WAS a bug that caused this.
So, what I have done twice now is edit the link--click to show the HTML--while the macine is "thinking". There is an option at the top "unfurl=true". I changed that to "unfurl=false", and the "thinking" stopped and the save worked. I clicked on the link and it behaved as I wanted. I believe "unfurl" merely "enhances" the presentation of the link by loading some content from the site--the first few lines, say--a graphic of what is behind the link. I wonder paranthetically whether unfurl=true causes uses more bandwith with the server (and increases costs) if someone is just looking at the thread and isn't trying to access the content of the link--the graphic is going to be fetched instead of just showing the link.
I do not want to cause anything like the legendary "Barbarian Crash". I doubt this will. But I assume the admins don't want users messing with HTML.

Actually what happens is that on save the site displays a "loading" message and seems to hang. If you then hit Edit, the HTML command appears, and you can changed unfurl="true" to unfurl="false". Save then works right way, and the link works.
I am curious about whether this actually saves some bandwidth if the thread is simply displayed and the user looks at something else. I guess I should not do this, because I know just enough to be dangerous. Maybe a knowledgeable admin can comment?

Last edited:
Years ago I took a "compiler" course (a program that translates a computer language into something--always specific to the machine--a computer can understand). The instructor said "have an expert test it, have your grandmother test it--not to say anything against your grandmother". It is really hard to design something that a hare-brained user can't break. That is why computer languages are getting more and more high-level--it's harder for a programmer to make mistakes if a lot of the details are handled automatically.

Well that's all very clever, Frank, way above my head (or pay-grade) If you do crash the site, we'll know who to blame (and she'll be handing out demerits ;) ) The 'buffering' that happens when we paste in a link is irritating, it does seem to be a glitch in XenForo's system since the latest 'upgrade'. But the simple way to get around it is, as Wragg said above, use the 'Insert Link' option, paste the url into the pop-up and click 'Insert'.

Well that's all very clever, Frank, way above my head (or pay-grade) If you do crash the site, we'll know who to blame (and she'll be handing out demerits ;) ) The 'buffering' that happens when we paste in a link is irritating, it does seem to be a glitch in XenForo's system since the latest 'upgrade'. But the simple way to get around it is, as Wragg said above, use the 'Insert Link' option, paste the url into the pop-up and click 'Insert'.
Yes, what Wragg suggests works fine. All that appears is the link, not anything from the actual content. I think this will definitely save bandwith, because nothing has to be displayed except text unless the user actually clicks on it. How much difference that will make, who knows. But it's a lot better than having to edit the HTML URL tag.

Back
Top Bottom