Praefectus's Shorter Subjects

Go to CruxDreams.com
Silva leaned close to Barbara’s ear and whispered. “I’ll remove that brank. But if you don’t remain quiet, it will go back in with a thicker coating of the paste. Understand?”
Barb, barely able to keep from vomiting, nodded yes. With the iron phallus removed, she gasped for breath as her mouth drooled from the disgusting tastes.

Cives! Open your hearts and your sacculi (purses or a euphemism for ballsack)” Enthusiastic laughter. “As you can see, she possesses flawless beauty and an amazing body. She has the face of an idol, the arms of a willow tree, and the pelvis of a camel. You see a bloom of indescribable beauty – her face holds a thousand promises, and her body stands behind each promise.” Cheers from the crowd.

“In accord with the seller’s wishes, we shall start the bidding at 1,000 denarii.” There was a gasp from the group at the exalted opening price; but it only took a moment for Tertius Aemilius to raise his hand and say, “One thousand denarii to restore my youth! A pittance.”

Immediately others jumped in. In less than a minute, the bidding had reached 1,400 denarii. Silva was relieved to see it pass the 1,200 reserve that Marcus Lycus had set. Everything beyond that number was pure profit to him and Septimus.
The bidding continued almost unabated to soon pass 2,000. Silva was pleased to think of the 200 denarii that would come as his 10%.
Both Silva and Lycus had estimated that the Goth girl would draw at least 2,500. However, that number was blown away as the competition became more fierce and the bedders were caught up in the excitement of the auction. The bidding paused for a moment just short of 4,000 and Silva said, “Please, Domini (masters). Remember 4% of your bid goes to fund our Divine Empire via the slave sales tax.” Sarcastic catcalls greeted this appeal, but, Marcus Claudius spoke up in a joking tone, “I am glad to sacrifice for our Emperor – 4,100 denarii!” Immediately the biding resumed.
When the bid surpassed 5,000 denarii, a princely sum at an auction in Narbo, the remaining participants had dwindled to three: Tertius, Marcus, and Galerius.

Silva leaned close to Barbara’s ear and whispered. “I’ll remove that brank. But if you don’t remain quiet, it will go back in with a thicker coating of the paste. Understand?”
Barb, barely able to keep from vomiting, nodded yes. With the iron phallus removed, she gasped for breath as her mouth drooled from the disgusting tastes.

Cives! Open your hearts and your sacculi (purses or a euphemism for ballsack)” Enthusiastic laughter. “As you can see, she possesses flawless beauty and an amazing body. She has the face of an idol, the arms of a willow tree, and the pelvis of a camel. You see a bloom of indescribable beauty – her face holds a thousand promises, and her body stands behind each promise.” Cheers from the crowd.

“In accord with the seller’s wishes, we shall start the bidding at 1,000 denarii.” There was a gasp from the group at the exalted opening price; but it only took a moment for Tertius Aemilius to raise his hand and say, “One thousand denarii to restore my youth! A pittance.”

Immediately others jumped in. In less than a minute, the bidding had reached 1,400 denarii. Silva was relieved to see it pass the 1,200 reserve that Marcus Lycus had set. Everything beyond that number was pure profit to him and Septimus.
The bidding continued almost unabated to soon pass 2,000. Silva was pleased to think of the 200 denarii that would come as his 10%.
Both Silva and Lycus had estimated that the Goth girl would draw at least 2,500. However, that number was blown away as the competition became more fierce and the bedders were caught up in the excitement of the auction. The bidding paused for a moment just short of 4,000 and Silva said, “Please, Domini (masters). Remember 4% of your bid goes to fund our Divine Empire via the slave sales tax.” Sarcastic catcalls greeted this appeal, but, Marcus Claudius spoke up in a joking tone, “I am glad to sacrifice for our Emperor – 4,100 denarii!” Immediately the biding resumed.
When the bid surpassed 5,000 denarii, a princely sum at an auction in Narbo, the remaining participants had dwindled to three: Tertius, Marcus, and Galerius.
What tension! I guess it depends who has the biggest 'ballsack' - my money is still on Galerius!

More compliments on Barbara's exceptional beauty and allure:

These three, enraptured by Barb's beauty, began a three-way battle, supported by their hefty purses. However, at 6,000 denarii, Tertius had to withdraw, his resources exhausted. The others in the room congratulated the man they nicknamed Servus olim amoris (old slave of love) him on his effort and his youthful vigor in bidding.

This should have yielded the floor to a one-on-one confrontation between Marchus and Galerius. But, suddenly, another voice spoke up with an overbid, "6,200 denarii," and all turned in amazement to see Lucius Piso with his hand in the air.

“Our esteemed Quaestor enters the fray," pronounced Septimus, obviously pleased with a fresh bidder. He had never known Piso to bid on a female slave. But this Goth beauty was no ordinary slut.

Marcus and Galerius returned the attack and pushed the bidding to 6,500. However, at that level, Marcus threw up his hands and retired with dignity from the fight.

And now it was these two, Galerius and Lucius, head-to-head. Everyone knew it must end soon. Never had a slave gone for as much before in Gallia Narbonensis, no matter her allure!

Last edited:
More compliments on Barbara's exceptional beauty and allure:

These three, enraptured by Barb's beauty, began a three-way battle, supported by their hefty purses. However, at 6,000 denarii, Tertius had to withdraw, his resources exhausted. The others in the room congratulated him on his effort and his youthful vigor in bidding.

This should have yielded the floor to a one-on-one confrontation between Marchus and Galerius. But, suddenly, another voice spoke up with an overbid, "6,200 denarii," and all turned in amazement to see Lucius Piso with his hand in the air.

“Our esteemed Quaestor enters the fray," pronounced Septimus, obviously pleased with a fresh bidder. He had never known Piso to bid on a female slave. But this Goth beauty was no ordinary slut.

Marcus and Galerius returned the attack and pushed the bidding to 6,500. However, at that level, Marcus threw up his hands and retired with dignity from the fight.

And now it was these two, Galerius and Lucius, head-to-head. Everyone knew it must end soon. Never had a slave gone for as much before in Gallia Narbonensis.
Barb pushing the limits again!

The legal niceties:

Despite Septimus’ best effort to maintain the momentum, the bidding began to slow. Galerius hesitated at last but then raised his hand again, “6,750.”
“I have 6,750 denarii. Do I hear 6,800?”
All eyes turned to Lucius. The stolid magistrate returned Galerius's stare for a long moment. Then he turned to the auctioneer. "Too rich for my blood," he said. Then he turned back to his rival. "Galerius Antonious, the bitch is all yours. Enjoy."
The audience erupted in applause. Despite the general loathing of the piggish young man, most slapped his back and congratulated him on his success.

Silva directed his men to unchain the girl and bring her to her new master and hold up a bronze scale. Thus began the ritual of the sale of a slave.
Silva announced, “There being at least five free Roman Cives (citizens) over the age of toga praetexta (over puberty) present to witness, this res mancipi per aes et libram* ( property matter by bronze and scales) may proceed."

Galerius drew from his purse ten gold solidi**. He grabbed Barbara’s arm and said, “Hunc ego feminam ex iure quiritium meum esse aio eaque mihi empta esto hoc aere aeneaque libra (I affirm that this slave is mine according to quiritary right, and she is purchased by me with this piece of bronze and scales). He rapped the coins against the scales to signify a measured, commercial transaction and handed them to the bello praeconem. Silva returned three silver miliarensia in change. He then pushed Barb into Galerius’s arms as a final affirmation of transfer.

* Roman law recognized two classes of property: res mancipi and res nec mancipi. Res mancipi covered the more significant property of lands and houses on Italic soil, beasts of burden, slaves, and rustic and praedial servitudes. The Roman legal scholar Gaius in his Institutes 2.14a – 2.22 explains that res mancipi may only be conveyed formally, that is either by the mancipatio ceremony (described above) or in iure cessio (the judgment of a lawsuit). This special rule is reflected even today in English and American law in what is known as “The Statute of Frauds” which requires the transfer of real property must be made in writing and not by verbal contract.

** The solidus was a gold coin of the late Roman Empire. Ten would contain approximately 45 grams of pure gold – about $2,500 today. The denarius had been depreciated out of existence by the date of our story. The last valuation, one hundred years earlier, was about 1/1000 of a solidus. I have retained the unit here due to its historical familiarity and rough equivalence to one day's wages for a laborer.

Author's note: observe that slaves were listed by Gaius after beasts of burden!

Last edited by a moderator:
. He grabbed Barbara’s arm and said, “Hunc ego feminam ex iure quiritium meum esse aio isque mihi emptus esto hoc aere aeneaque libra (I affirm that this slave is mine according to quiritary right, and she is purchased by me with this piece of bronze and scales).

Memo to myself: If I ever get out of this mess, law school wouldn’t be a bad idea :rolleyes:

With Barb's naked body thrust into his arms, Galerius wasted no time in sampling the sweetness of his new property. Using both hands, he brought her lips to his and kissed her with a deep-thrusting tongue. Barb froze for a moment in shock at the man's disgusting breath and the unexpected invasion of her oral cavity. Quickly, she used her now free hands to rudely push the man away.

Though Barbara’s classical Latin was halting, she had learned her share of gutter expressions from Romans insulting her people. “Es stercus! (You shit!)”
The men standing around laughed at the girl's use of profanity and the insult to the much-hated Galerius. He laughed also, but more forced.
"You have spirit for a slave. I'll not worry, soon I'll have you broken to my will." With that, he reached out and pinched her nipple in a vice-like grip. Barb groaned in agony and instinctively lashed out at her tormentor.

Barb sneered at the man, “Futue te ipsi, Irrumator porci! (fuck yourself, Bastard of a pig!*), as she drove her knee into his groin. Galerius gave a high scream of pain, doubled over, and sank heavily to his knees on the hard stone floor. The Goth girl didn't pause for a moment but was on him, cursing and raining blows on his head and shoulders. Antonious wept in pain and cried out like a little girl, "Help me, Amici! Help me! Caedes (Murder)! This vacca stulta (stupid cow) will kill me!”
None there considered themselves Galerius' friends, but basic decency required their help. Two bidders along with two of Silva's larger aides pulled the girl, still cursing, screaming, and fighting like a banshee, off the Governor's son. Another servant quickly grabbed a shackles and chain and fastened her wrists behind her back. Even held and chained, Barb spat out curses and insults at the fat boy groveling on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom