Praefectus's Shorter Subjects

Go to CruxDreams.com
With Barb's naked body thrust into his arms, Galerius wasted no time in sampling the sweetness of his new property. Using both hands, he brought her lips to his and kissed her with a deep-thrusting tongue. Barb froze for a moment in shock at the man's disgusting breath and the unexpected invasion of her oral cavity. Quickly, she used her now free hands to rudely push the man away.

Though Barbara’s classical Latin was halting, she had learned her share of gutter expressions from Romans insulting her people. “Es stercus! (You shit!)”
The men standing around laughed at the girl's use of profanity and the insult to the much-hated Galerius. He laughed also, but more forced.
"You have spirit for a slave. I'll not worry, soon I'll have you broken to my will." With that, he reached out and pinched her nipple in a vice-like grip. Barb groaned in agony and instinctively lashed out at her tormentor.

Barb sneered at the man, “Futue te ipsi, Irrumator porci! (fuck yourself, Bastard of a pig!*), as she drove her knee into his groin. Galerius gave a high scream of pain, doubled over, and sank heavily to his knees on the hard stone floor. The Goth girl didn't pause for a moment but was on him, cursing and raining blows on his head and shoulders. Antonious wept in pain and cried out like a little girl, "Help me, Amici! Help me! Caedes (Murder)! This vacca stulta (stupid cow) will kill me!”
None there considered themselves Galerius' friends, but basic decency required their help. Two bidders along with two of Silva's larger aides pulled the girl, still cursing, screaming, and fighting like a banshee, off the Governor's son. Another servant quickly grabbed a shackles and chain and fastened her wrists behind her back. Even held and chained, Barb spat out curses and insults at the fat boy groveling on the floor.
I don't know for sure, but I think that Barb may be in trouble!

Galerius remained, curled up on the floor in a fetal position, weeping, while many still laughed at the comical turn of events. Barbara was screaming, even louder, spewing venom at her tormentor. Now in Goth, she cursed, "diabaulus þuk nimai, dwala (may the devil take you [to hell], stupid fool)! Her cries were deafening, and Silva told a servant to brank her again – with extra paste. For good measure, having seen what she could do with her feet, they attached short-chain ankle-shackles. Even as she gagged and nearly vomited at the noxious intrusion, all could see her eyes still flashing hatred at the man on the floor.

After a few minutes, Galerius recovered some self-control and regained his feet. His face was bright red, and spittle dripped down his receding chin. In a high voice, he shrieked out, ”Tata (daddy)! Send for my Tata! Where are the milites (soldiers)? Find the milites! This bitch must be punished!”
Lucius Piso stepped forward, assuming his self-righteous air of a magistrate of Rome. He ordered one of Silva's servants to find some members of the watch. Imperiously he ordered the others to restrain the Goth girl (even though they had already been done so). Having taken charge, he calmly turned to Galerius, “What do you wish to be done with your serva (slave), domine?”
“I want her condemnātūra (condemned – implying to death)! That’s what I want! But first, I want my money back from this dishonest auctioneer! It was an illegal sale!”
“We shall deal with this Goth scum soon enough. But I am afraid that you cannot claim your money back. Along with the others, you had plenty of opportunity to judge the merchandise and hear evidence of her defiance. We all agreed to a sale nihil cautum, and saw the cap placed on her. Multiple Roman citizens witnessed the conclusion of the res mancipi. I declare that you have no grounds to demand a refugium (refund).”
Galerius sputtered in frustration, but the legal logic was unassailable. Instead, he turned his fury on the helpless naked girl. Winding up, he delivered a punch to her jaw that snapped back her head and made her nearly fall. Fortunately for Barb, the youth was in sadly weakened shape, and the blow was not nearly what it might have been.

“Do you have a charge to lay ad servam (against the slave) ?” asked Piso.
"Jove (by Jupiter – even Christian Romans of that day would appeal to the pagan gods when full of fury!) I charge her with lex maiestatis (treason) for attacking the family of the Roman Governor and parricidium for attempting to murder her dominum.”
"Hmm," said Piso, his chin on his hand. "The most serious charges possible under Roman Law. However, they do seem justified and in accord with the evidence. Do any here disagree?"
All nodded in reluctant agreement. They mostly felt sorry for Barb and resented the spoiled youth, but the law was clear. They all owned slaves and were thankful for the extreme condemnation of violence against a master.

Barb struggled against her chains and tried to speak through the brank. Blood ran from a cut on her lip where Galerius’s fist had hit close to the iron brank and a dark bruise had begun to appear on her jaw. The girl tried to object even as her stomach churned with the foul mixture in her mouth. It wasn't just or fair, she thought, that she could be tried like this without pleading her case. However, Roman law was clear; slaves could be condemned on the word of their master and were not allowed to mount any defense*.
Piso drew the back of his toga up over his head. “I find this slave guilt of lex maiestatis and parricidium. I sentence her to death. First, she shall suffer for her parricide, Poena Cullei (penalty of the sack) for una hora et una (one hour and another). Then she flagellabiturbe (shall be flogged) by the garrison and then crucifigetur (shall be crucified).”

*The legal term was “Serva non habet personam” ('a slave has no persona'). She has no personality. She does not own her body; she has no ancestors, no name, no cognomen, no goods of her own.

“I find this slave guilt of lex maiestatis and parricidium. I sentence her to death. First, she shall suffer for her parricide, Poena Cullei (penalty of the sack) for una hora et una (one hour and another). Then she flagellabiturbe (shall be flogged) by the garrison and then crucifigetur (shall be crucified).”

How would a Goth have said “OH SHIT!”? :facepalm:

How would a Goth have said “OH SHIT!”? :facepalm:
Since you ask:

The Gothic Language

About 1AD, Germanic languages could be divided into North Germanic (Denmark and Scandinavia), East Germanic (Southern Ukraine and the Balkans, and West Germanic (Germany proper and the Low Countries). In a migration that makes the names particularly confusing, the East Germanic tribes moved into present-day France, Spain, Italy, and Africa to become the Western Germans. The main known East Germanic branches are Gothic, Vandalic, Burgundian, and Crimean Goth (a remnant who fled from the onslaughts of Attila the Hun). These languages went extinct over a thousand years ago, leaving only occasional loan words and influence on modern French, Spanish and Italian. This was due to the conquest of the Spanish and African Goth and Vandal territories by the Moors and the conquest of the French and Italian Goths by the Franks and Eastern Romans.

If it has been extinct for so long, how can I have Barb speak Gothic in the story?

While the other East Germanic languages disappeared with hardly a trace (they had very little writing in their native tongue), we are fortunate to have extensive textual codices of fourth-century Gothic. The prime one is the Codex Argentius which is a sixth-century copy of a fourth-century Bible in Visigothic. It resides today at Uppsala University. A part of it is on permanent display at the Carolina Rediviva building in Uppsala, Sweden. It seems a righteous twist of fate that the primary source for Gothic language is now near the Goths' original homeland.

The original Bible was commissioned by Ulfilas, a contemporary of our heroine, Barbara, and an Arian Bishop in what is now Romania. This name is a Latinization of his Visigothic name, which is speculated to have been * Wulfila, literally "Little Wolf".

Bischof_Ulfilas_erklärt_den_Goten_das_Evangelium.jpg1614610489191.png

Last edited:
Since you ask:

The Gothic Language

About 1AD, Germanic languages could be divided into North Germanic (Denmark and Scandinavia), East Germanic (Southern Ukraine and the Balkans, and West Germanic (Germany proper and the Low Countries). In a migration that makes the names particularly confusing, the East Germanic tribes moved into present-day France, Spain, Italy, and Africa to become the Western Germans. The main known East Germanic branches are Gothic, Vandalic, Burgundian, and Crimean Goth (a remnant who fled from the onslaughts of Attila the Hun). These languages went extinct over a thousand years ago, leaving only occasional loan words and influence on modern French, Spanish and Italian. This was due to the conquest of the Spanish and African Goth and Vandal territories by the Moors and the conquest of the French and Italian Goths by the Franks and Eastern Romans.

If it has been extinct for so long, how can I have Barb speak Gothic in the story?

While the other East Germanic languages disappeared with hardly a trace (they had very little writing in their native tongue), we are fortunate to have extensive textual codices of fourth-century Gothic. The prime one is the Codex Argentius which is a sixth-century copy of a fourth-century Bible in Visigothic. It resides today at Uppsala University. A part of it is on permanent display at the Carolina Rediviva building in Uppsala, Sweden. It seems a righteous twist of fate that the primary source for Gothic language is now near the Goths' original homeland.

The original Bible was commissioned by Ulfilas, a contemporary of our heroine, Barbara, and an Arian Bishop in what is now Romania. This name is a Latinization of his Visigothic name, which is speculated to have been * Wulfila, literally "Little Wolf".

View attachment 976879View attachment 976889
It's really very interesting. You know a lot about old European languages.

It's really very interesting. You know a lot about old European languages.
Thank You. A little research and an ability to bluff and bullshit helps. It was fascinating to discover that our prime source for the Goth language now resides in the midst of their historic/legendary? homeland.

Galerius remained, curled up on the floor in a fetal position, weeping, while many still laughed at the comical turn of events. Barbara was screaming, even louder, spewing venom at her tormentor. Now in Goth, she cursed, "diabaulus þuk nimai, dwala (may the devil take you [to hell], stupid fool)! Her cries were deafening, and Silva told a servant to brank her again – with extra paste. For good measure, having seen what she could do with her feet, they attached short-chain ankle-shackles. Even as she gagged and nearly vomited at the noxious intrusion, all could see her eyes still flashing hatred at the man on the floor.

After a few minutes, Galerius recovered some self-control and regained his feet. His face was bright red, and spittle dripped down his receding chin. In a high voice, he shrieked out, ”Tata (daddy)! Send for my Tata! Where are the milites (soldiers)? Find the milites! This bitch must be punished!”
Lucius Piso stepped forward, assuming his self-righteous air of a magistrate of Rome. He ordered one of Silva's servants to find some members of the watch. Imperiously he ordered the others to restrain the Goth girl (even though they had already been done so). Having taken charge, he calmly turned to Galerius, “What do you wish to be done with your serva (slave), domine?”
“I want her condemnātūra (condemned – implying to death)! That’s what I want! But first, I want my money back from this dishonest auctioneer! It was an illegal sale!”
“We shall deal with this Goth scum soon enough. But I am afraid that you cannot claim your money back. Along with the others, you had plenty of opportunity to judge the merchandise and hear evidence of her defiance. We all agreed to a sale nihil cautum, and saw the cap placed on her. Multiple Roman citizens witnessed the conclusion of the res mancipi. I declare that you have no grounds to demand a refugium (refund).”
Galerius sputtered in frustration, but the legal logic was unassailable. Instead, he turned his fury on the helpless naked girl. Winding up, he delivered a punch to her jaw that snapped back her head and made her nearly fall. Fortunately for Barb, the youth was in sadly weakened shape, and the blow was not nearly what it might have been.

“Do you have a charge to lay ad servam (against the slave) ?” asked Piso.
"Jove (by Jupiter – even Christian Romans of that day would appeal to the pagan gods when full of fury!) I charge her with lex maiestatis (treason) for attacking the family of the Roman Governor and parricidium for attempting to murder her dominum.”
"Hmm," said Piso, his chin on his hand. "The most serious charges possible under Roman Law. However, they do seem justified and in accord with the evidence. Do any here disagree?"
All nodded in reluctant agreement. They mostly felt sorry for Barb and resented the spoiled youth, but the law was clear. They all owned slaves and were thankful for the extreme condemnation of violence against a master.

Barb struggled against her chains and tried to speak through the brank. Blood ran from a cut on her lip where Galerius’s fist had hit close to the iron brank and a dark bruise had begun to appear on her jaw. The girl tried to object even as her stomach churned with the foul mixture in her mouth. It wasn't just or fair, she thought, that she could be tried like this without pleading her case. However, Roman law was clear; slaves could be condemned on the word of their master and were not allowed to mount any defense*.
Piso drew the back of his toga up over his head. “I find this slave guilt of lex maiestatis and parricidium. I sentence her to death. First, she shall suffer for her parricide, Poena Cullei (penalty of the sack) for una hora et una (one hour and another). Then she flagellabiturbe (shall be flogged) by the garrison and then crucifigetur (shall be crucified).”

*The legal term was “Serva non habet personam” ('a slave has no persona'). She has no personality. She does not own her body; she has no ancestors, no name, no cognomen, no goods of her own.
A pre crucifixion flogging must be a good old scourging, right? Denuded, kneeling, naked girl chained to the block, spittle flying from the mouths of the two semi naked legionnaires beating her with all their might ... Can't wait.

As noted elsewhere, I have decided that this story deserves its own thread. It is being reposted in
It will be a few days before the reposting will be complete. Then I will continue with new posts there.
This will be the last post here for Goth Girl. Other short stories may follow.

Unfortunately, none of your comments will be transferred. If you believe any are essential, feel free to post them on the new thread.

Last edited:
As noted elsewhere, I have decided that this story deserves its own thread. It is being reposted in
It will be a few days before the reposting will be complete. Then I will continue with new posts there.
This will be the last post here for Goth Girl. Other short stories may follow.

Unfortunately, none of your comments will be transferred. If you believe any are essential, feel free to post them on the new thread.
As I copy and post the story, I am making edits, corrections, and minor additions. You may wish to skim them as I do so.

A lovely painting and a story expounding on it. This could have been posted in any of several threads, but I put it here.

Tanoux-Namouna-1887.jpg
Part 1
Abdul, the old debtor has no option left. He had to offer his youngest daughter as a slave to his creditor. She was horrified at the prospect. But her father has explained that there is no choice.
Kalil looked at the girl with an appraising and hesitant eye. He was judging his situation. Those who have never taken a new, untrained personal female slave on, could be puzzled at his reluctance.
But Kalil was experienced in the buying and selling and training of young female flesh. He knows that if he accepted her, he assumed great responsibility. He had always believed that the training of a slave girl is too important to be left to servants. If he accepted this girl, he will have to devote months of time to her training. Yes, he would enjoy some use of her soft, feminine flesh. Yes, he should feel a surge of youthful vigor when he laid the whip into her.
But he would have to devote hours to careful training and instruction. He would personally supervise all aspects of her life, even beyond training, to ensure her health both physical and mental. He would mold her into the slave he desires.

Kalil thought.
He caught a quick, shy glance from the girl's dark, soulful eyes. He saw fear, no surprise. But he also saw a look of wonder and expectation. And, as she lowered her eyes from his glance, he saw possible submission.

Kalil waved to Abdul. "I accept. Your debt is forgiven. Your daughter will belong to me from this day onward. On my honor, she shall be treated as a pearl of the highest value!"

TBC

Last edited:
A lovely painting and a story expounding on it. This could have been posted in any of several threads, but I put it here.

View attachment 1055280
Part 1
Abdul, the old debtor has no option left. He had to offer his youngest daughter as a slave to his creditor. She was horrified at the prospect. But her father has explained that there is no choice.
Kalil looked at the girl with an appraising and hesitant eye. He was judging his situation. Those who have never taken a new, untrained personal female slave on, could be puzzled at his reluctance.
But Kalil was experienced in the buying and selling and training of young female flesh. He knows that if he accepted her, he assumed great responsibility. He had always believed that the training of a slave girl is too important to be left to servants. If he accepted this girl, he will have to devote months of time to her training. Yes, he would enjoy some use of her soft, feminine flesh. Yes, he should feel a surge of youthful vigor when he laid the whip into her.
But he would have to devote hours to careful training and instruction. He would personally supervise all aspects of her life, even beyond training, to ensure her health both physical and mental. He would mold her into the slave he desires.
Kalil thought. He caught a quick, shy glance from the girl's dark, soulful eyes. He saw fear, no surprise. But he also saw a look of wonder and expectation. And, as she lowered her eyes from his glance, he saw possible submission.

Kalil waved to Abdul. "I accept. Your debt is forgiven. Your daughter will belong to me from this day onward. On my honor, she shall be treated as a pearl of the highest value!"

TBC
Ok, you’ve trapped me at turn one. I’m already identifying with the as yet un-named slave girl and anticipating the following chapter. Is that a @Damian manip I detect as illustration? :babeando: :babeando: :babeando:

Ok, you’ve trapped me at turn one. I’m already identifying with the as yet un-named slave girl and anticipating the following chapter. Is that a @Damian manip I detect as illustration? :babeando: :babeando: :babeando:
This will be a very short story. I am sorry if I raised your expectations too high

Antoine Auguste Adrien Henri Tanoux (18 October 1865, Marseille – 29 July 1923, Paris) was a French painter.
Some of his other works - "Orientalism" was all the rage - a great excuse for half-naked women to sell paintings.
henri-adrien-tanoux-the-favorite-261490.jpgHenri-Adrien-Tanoux-The-harem-beauty.jpg

Back
Top Bottom