Problem With Images

Go to CruxDreams.com
That may be because you have refreshed a good many times through your various activities.

When I want to refresh, I go to something like this:

bVz4csh.jpg

Will that work if I pour it on my computer?

My windows10 got an update today, and now, apparently, CF works again fast, smoothly and with every feature available, as it always did before some 2 months ago.:aaaaa::dancing:
It seems back to normal for me as well, independent of anything Windows 10 though...

That’s because cost saving loading restrictions have now been lifted. All images should be working normally. We’ve nearly met our fund raising target for July thanks to the many members who have contributed. We just need a little more.

That’s because cost saving loading restrictions have now been lifted. All images should be working normally. We’ve nearly met our fund raising target for July thanks to the many members who have contributed. We just need a little more.
That’s a great news to hear! I was wondering if the forums have gotten less active since the problem began.

I still would like to see my suggestion with CDN tried however, as the problem can reappear without fundamental changes to reduce the traffic, and we may not rely on donations to be always sufficient to cover our current cost.

On a side note, I'd like to make a suggestion about making a rule/recommendation regarding the way we post images on CF.

The current community rule just states that we should not post a "full-sized image". But since we have more people posting images hosted on an external website (e.g. imgur.com, bdsmlr.com, and more) I noticed that it has been a source of confusion in more than a few occasions.

As such, I wonder if we could make the relevant rule clearer by following changes:

1. Make the distinction between uploading and linking clearer, so that users can understand the restriction only applies when they upload images to CF. Currently, it mentions of "streamed images" and explains that they are images which are hosted on an external website and streamed directly to CF's server.

However, it's not a common term and it's technically wrong (there's no server-side communication at all), so I'm afraid it may confuse some users. We can replace the term "streamed images" with "images linked from external websites" to make it clearer, and maybe suggest a few image hosts our members can use to encourage them to adopt the practice to reduce the traffic.

2. To help avoid the confusion even further, we could either mandate or recommend people who link to an external image in their posts to specify the source with a linked text (e.g. "Image hosted on Imgur"). It's a good practice to attribute the original author when "deep-linking" an image anyway, and in certain cases it's mandatory.

Currently, the rule says that those who wish to post external images on a regular basis should obtain a permission from a moderator. But it's contrary to the actual practice, and also to what is currently recommended by some of the moderators to save the bandwidth, so it better be updated to reflect what the moderators consider to be the best practice at the moment.

3. Clarify what "full-sized image" means, as it can mean a few different things - One can upload a 2000x2000 jpeg image, for example, and resize it in the forum editor to 20x20. Or one can upload a 32x32 icon without resizing or using a thumbnail.

I think we better make it clear that it's only the former practice that is prohibited by the rule. Maybe requiring to use a thumbnail if the unresized image exceeds 100px (the current thumbnail size) in either dimension would serve the purpose.

Just a few non-technical suggestions that I'd like to see tried to enhance our user experience regarding posting images to the forum.

Last edited:
On a side note, I'd like to make a suggestion about making a rule/recommendation regarding the way we post images on CF.

The current community rule just states that we should not post a "full-sized image". But since we have more people posting images hosted on an external website (e.g. imgur.com, bdsmlr.com, and more) I noticed that it has been a source of confusion in more than a few occasions.

As such, I wonder if we could make the relevant rule clearer by following changes:

1. Make the distinction between uploading and linking clearer, so that users can understand the restriction only applies when they upload images to CF. Currently, it mentions of "streamed images" and explains that they are images which are hosted on an external website and streamed directly to CF's server.

However, it's not a common term and it's technically wrong (there's no server-side communication at all), so I'm afraid it may confuse some users. We can replace the term "streamed images" with "images linked from external websites" to make it clearer, and maybe suggest a few image hosts our members can use to encourage them to adopt the practice to reduce the traffic.

2. To help avoid the confusion even further, we could either mandate or recommend people who link to an external image in their posts to specify the source with a linked text (e.g. "Image hosted on Imgur"). It's a good practice to attribute the original author when "deep-linking" an image anyway, and in certain cases it's mandatory.

Currently, the rule says that those who wish to post external images on a regular basis should obtain a permission from a moderator. But it's contrary to the actual practice, and also to what is currently recommended by some of the moderators to save the bandwidth, so it better be updated to reflect what the moderators consider to be the best practice at the moment.

3. Clarify what "full-sized image" means, as it can mean a few different things - One can upload a 2000x2000 jpeg image, for example, and resize it in the forum editor to 20x20. Or one can upload a 32x32 icon without resizing or using a thumbnail.

I think we better make it clear that it's only the former practice that is prohibited by the rule. Maybe requiring to use a thumbnail if the unresized image exceeds 100px (the current thumbnail size) in either dimension would serve the purpose.

Just a few non-technical suggestions that I'd like to see tried to enhance our user experience regarding posting images to the forum.
Yes. That should be easy to change. I shall bring it to Eul's attention.

Thanks for those helpful suggestions, I'm working on an improved/ updated version. I've made a few initial changes, but need colleagues' agreement on the more technical and moderator-specific aspects.

Back
Top Bottom