Public Executions In The Arena

Go to CruxDreams.com
SLAVE FARIHA CRUCIFIED AS A CHRISTIAN REBEL

Fariha was a young Syrian slave living in Capua, in the south of the Italian peninsula. She met some Christian slaves and decided to convert to the new religion. Her master, Sextus Hosidius Silanus, denounced her to the authorities. The young woman refused to deny God and to offer sacrifices to the emperor, so she was sentenced to be crucified to death in the arena. It was the year 238 AD.

Gabriel Roman arena 564-1-.jpg

EUDOXIA OF TUSCIA SCOURGED TO DEATH

We do not know much about this Christian martyr. Eudoxia was a noble and pious woman from Tuscia, a region North of Rome comprising the Southern part of the former Etruscan empire. Since she refused to renounce to her faith, she was whipped to death for her faith in 306 A.D.

Gabriel Roman arena 565-1-.jpg eudocia mix 3456.jpg

SLAVE IRMINFRID CONDEMNED TO BE IMPALED TO DEATH

Irminfrid was a young Germanic captive sold as a sex slave to the rich freedman Dexippus. When the latter discovered that Irminfrid loved the young slave Acastus and was planning to escape with him, he had her arrested and sentenced her to death by impalement. Acastus was crucified.

Gabriel Roman arena 566-1-.jpg impaled 2322.jpg

INNOCENTIA OF RIMINI PIERCED WITH SWORDS

Innocentia, a young noblewoman from the city of Rimini, aged 17, having been accused by Diocletian, who was passing through on his way to Hungary, was sent to Montetauro, of which she was mistress. Found praying in front of a crucifix, with a servant, in the house built by her ancestors, she was brought before the tyrant. She confessed that she was a Christian, a servant of the Son of God and Mary, and despised the sacrifice of idols. For this she was condemned to death and, led to the arena, her hips were pierced by the executioner, leaving the sword in them. Not for this did the holy virgin give any sign of fear. On the contrary, continuing her prayer for the space of an hour she rendered her spirit to God. The body was honourably collected by the other Christians and buried in a marble tomb, commemorating the event. Later, two churches were built and dedicated in honour of the saint, one in Rimini and one in Montetauro. The day of her martyrdom was 16 September 296.

Gabriel Roman arena 569-1-.jpg Innocenza da Rimini 002.jpg Innocenza da Rimini 001.jpg Innocenza da Rimini 001part.jpg

The re-enacting of the the martyrdom of Saint Christine in Bolsena (Italia)
July 24 Saint Christine, martyr. The day before, the sacred representation of the Mysteries of Saint Christine (I Misteri di Santa Cristina) takes place: living paintings, called Mysteries, are mounted to recall the sufferings of the saint. The costumes and the staging are particularly meticulous and the distribution of the roles and the various figurations follow a tradition that has been perpetuated from father to son.

See more:

cristinaa1.jpgcristinaa2.jpgcristinaa3.jpgcristinaa4.jpgcristinad3.jpgMAK_1386.jpgMAK_1601.jpgMAK_1603.jpg

The re-enacting of the the martyrdom of Saint Christine in Bolsena (Italia)
July 24 Saint Christine, martyr. The day before, the sacred representation of the Mysteries of Saint Christine (I Misteri di Santa Cristina) takes place: living paintings, called Mysteries, are mounted to recall the sufferings of the saint. The costumes and the staging are particularly meticulous and the distribution of the roles and the various figurations follow a tradition that has been perpetuated from father to son.

See more:

View attachment 1213113View attachment 1213114View attachment 1213115View attachment 1213116View attachment 1213117View attachment 1213118View attachment 1213119View attachment 1213120
Permission to manipulate and "enhance" the narrative, I doubt she was dressed. :) Damian

Permission to manipulate and "enhance" the narrative, I doubt she was dressed. :) Damian
Absolutely. The stories about her include a number of different tortures including: being raked with iron combs (probably pictures one and two) and being tied to an iron wheel and turned repeatedly trough a fire (pictures three and four). These would have required her to be nude.
Not depicted here is her final martyrdom which was be beheading.

Here is one, can only post one at a time for some reason!
Woman in blue: “Husband! Explain to me why our newest servant girl is being put to the wheel?”

“Best you don’t know.”

“But why. I insist that you tell me!”

“She didn’t meet expectations.”

“What expectations? She’s only been with us less than a week?”

“Best you don’t know.”

Woman in blue: “Husband! Explain to me why our newest servant girl is being put to the wheel?”
Husband : "She complained all the time, she always overlooked the fine print of the written instructions I gave her, and she even crashed my abacus anytime she had to use it!":facepalm:
Wife : "Oh really! That bad? By Jupiter, I want a Riesling now!"
Husband : "So do I, but for some reason, we are out of it in our wine cellar!":confused:

Actually, it was released right as the Hayes Office went into business. For national release, DeMille had to cut the scenes you included as well as a few others, including parts of Claudette Colbert's milk bath scene. Fortunately, the film was preserved and restored to its full 125 minutes in 1994.
The woman being exposed to the "crocodiles" is stripper Sally Rand. Those are actually alligators, crocodiles would be too dangerous to work with. Unfortunately, alligators are native to the Americas (except for one species in a remote part of China) and would not have been available to the Romans.
I can't find a credit for the woman tied to the statue, but I was able to find one for the man in the gorilla costume: Charles Gamora. He had quite a career playing gorillas and other creatures, sort of the Andy Serkis of his day.
And, the Romans didn't know about gorillas either. They were unknown to Europeans until the mid 1800s.

Actually, it was released right as the Hayes Office went into business. For national release, DeMille had to cut the scenes you included as well as a few others, including parts of Claudette Colbert's milk bath scene. Fortunately, the film was preserved and restored to its full 125 minutes in 1994.
The woman being exposed to the "crocodiles" is stripper Sally Rand. Those are actually alligators, crocodiles would be too dangerous to work with. Unfortunately, alligators are native to the Americas (except for one species in a remote part of China) and would not have been available to the Romans.
I can't find a credit for the woman tied to the statue, but I was able to find one for the man in the gorilla costume: Charles Gamora. He had quite a career playing gorillas and other creatures, sort of the Andy Serkis of his day.
And, the Romans didn't know about gorillas either. They were unknown to Europeans until the mid 1800s.
Thank you! You are more knowledgeable than Wikipedia! And, for sure, Cecil B. DeMille was not too careful with historical realism!

Back
Top Bottom