Rack Torture

Go to CruxDreams.com
do you have some information about these? From what time they are, how they have been used. What function do these smaller pieces of wood nailed on in the first picture have? Is it that arms and legs can be fixed easier?
Yes, I think they were meant to make the fixation more painful. I photographed the first two in Rothenburg ob der Tauber in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, I don't remember the third one. If I had known at the time, I might have made recordings of the descriptions.

Yes, I think they were meant to make the fixation more painful. I photographed the first two in Rothenburg ob der Tauber in the early 1990s. Unfortunately, I don't remember the third one. If I had known at the time, I might have made recordings of the descriptions.

Hmmm .... somehow I missed those when I visited Rothenburg! :(

Very similar to pieces I once saw in a torture exhibtion somewhere... the first is a breaking cross. The victim (lucky victim...) was stripped naked and tied down, stretched face-up, over it, the wooden bars creating a series of spaces over which the limbs were fixed. The bar, mounted on the wall, was then used to smash the long bones in as many places as the court had determined. I often imagine myself staring up into a blue sky, glancing around at the crowd, silently waiting for the first blow, and seeing the shadow of my executioner slowly fall over my body. I think I should like to be that girl, tied down to die in the public square, my lips gently parted and my eyes wide open, waiting for the awful agony to come....

Very similar to pieces I once saw in a torture exhibtion somewhere... the first is a breaking cross. The victim (lucky victim...) was stripped naked and tied down, stretched face-up, over it, the wooden bars creating a series of spaces over which the limbs were fixed. The bar, mounted on the wall, was then used to smash the long bones in as many places as the court had determined. I often imagine myself staring up into a blue sky, glancing around at the crowd, silently waiting for the first blow, and seeing the shadow of my executioner slowly fall over my body. I think I should like to be that girl, tied down to die in the public square, my lips gently parted and my eyes wide open, waiting for the awful agony to come....
Thanks for that explanation! Now this construction makes sense to me. I still think: poor victim... this was damn real practiced. Anyway, I find it interesting that you fantasize about beeing the victim of such a horrible execution.

Back
Top Bottom