Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
I remember a BBC TV historical costume drama about ancient Egypt about 30 years ago, and the servant class girls were all topless. It was very daring for the time.
Yes....The BBC did a drama series ,called, "The Cleopatras",during the early 1980's.
A brilliant,memorable series.
It was indeed quite racy,in places,and well written.
For,some stupid reason,it's
never been released on video or DVD :( :mad: :BangHead:
Something to do with contractual royalties,i guess.
I,for one would LOVE to get my hands on it.....

Sorry not about topless slave girls but a couple of links on the topic of crucifixion

Death By Crucifixion: View of The Medicolegal Expert

How the cross became Christianity’s most popular symbol

Yes....The BBC did a drama series ,called, "The Cleopatras",during the early 1980's.
Wow, that long ago. Early eighties, so I had one of my wives about then, a bit jealous that one was, I guess a furtive glance at the young ladies was all I could manage, but that was enough to burn the images into long-term memory.

'Ay up, @Fossy , see what the Belorussians are up to, investigating death by crux!!
Na then Old One ow's tha doing?

That is so interesting given the coming together of the Belarusian's and CF in 'Sexpionage'. I shall deffo download and take a closer look!

Did you catch up with 'Blowback' yet the latest serialisation in the thread. More involvement for those damn Belarusians!

Thanks for thinking of me - good to see the snows disappearing :)

'Ay up, @Fossy , see what the Belorussians are up to, investigating death by crux!!
This assumes, of course, that the gospel accounts are accurate. Only John has the "piercing" and non-breaking of the legs (and the day of execution differs from the synoptics). John specifically says that the "piercing" fulfilled prophesy (as did the "I thirst"). For me, fulfilling prophesy is always a red flag, indicating some stuff is being added. "Disseminated intravascular coagulation" sounds good, though. No one can say how severely Jesus was scourged (in Luke, not at all--only the threat of it). There is no Simon of Cyrene in John, so Jesus was strong enough to carry his own cross. He did last only three hours there, as opposed to six in Mark.
It would be interesting to know what really happened. (From all the speculation, it sounds like quite a number of people want to know.)

The style I like best is the one favoured by young men, with nice curly hair down to around their ears. The women seem to have kept their hair long, but the wealthy ones had it tied up in complicated styles which I'd have found tiresome and time-wasting!

The style I like best is the one favoured by young men, with nice curly hair down to around their ears. The women seem to have kept their hair long, but the wealthy ones had it tied up in complicated styles which I'd have found tiresome and time-wasting!
Tiresome and time-wasting? Speaking as the mistress or the δούλη? The mistress wouldn't mind and your impatience as a slave would earn a severe lashing - or is that what you want?

On February 9, 71 AD, a man named Liccaius was honorably discharged from the navy of the mighty Roman Empire.

As a proof of that, he received this diploma made of bronze sheet.
Its four pages contain engraved text with his name and the name of Emperor Vespasianus who issued the diploma.
The date the diploma was issued is also written in the text, as well as the rights and privileges this provincial acquired by serving more than 26 years in the navy where he received the rank of centurion.

In an utterly remarkable survival, the diploma even retains a compartment with removable cover, protecting the wax seals of those who witnessed the document - wax impressions made with intaglio rings of five of the original seven witnesses are still attached to the diploma.

On the bronze plate around the wax are the names of the seven witnesses that gave their seal to Liccaius' discharge, named among them are a Gaius Marcius Nobilis of Emona (modern Ljubljana) and a Lucius Mineius Iucundus from Aquileia.

Liccaius had reached the important rank of centurion which operated much as it did in the land army - Liccaius was the commander of a century, in this case the crew of a ship, overseeing all their combat, training and punishments.

The diploma was witnessed on 9th February 71 AD and by the authority of the emperor grants Liccaius, son of Birsus, from Marsunia, honourable discharge from the Roman navy, the right to marry and full Roman citizenship for himself and his descendants.

The diploma is also historically important as the only contemporary confirmation of "Marsunia" as the ancient name for Brod, Croatia.

Liccaius evidently returned to his hometown in his retirement but for reasons unknown his prized diploma was soon lost in the Sava river

G1qs3M4c.jpgEua6dT_WgAAM7qX.jpg

(It seems he was perhaps not able to enjoy the rewards of his service for long...)

It's not the only evidence for the name, the Peutinger Table refers to it as Marsonie, while the Notitia Dignitatum has 'Auxilia Ascaria Tauruno sive Marsonia'. But what language would the name have come from? Illyrian?

It's not the only evidence for the name, the Peutinger Table refers to it as Marsonie, while the Notitia dignitatum has 'Auxilia Ascaria Tauruno sive Marsonia'. But what language would the name have come from? Illyrian?
No idea, I came across this randomly, it's from here https://muzejbp.hr/prica-o-likaju/ and the information is from English bits and pieces released on it. I think what they mean with 'the only contemporary confirmation of "Marsunia" as the ancient name for Brod, Croatia' is perhaps not so much that they claim the name is not mentioned anywhere else but that they see this as the definite link of the name to their town (the museum is itself, in Slavonski Brod)

I take your point, PT is a very schematic map of posting stations throughout the Empire squeezed and stretched on a long scroll, ND a list of office-bearers with the names of the places where they stationed, both present many problems in matching with the present-day map. I think Illyrian was probably the language in that region at that time, it's a very obscure one - the only evidence we have is names, like Liccaius, Emona and Masunia, Latinised forms of words that are likely to be of Indo-European ancestry, but its relationship with other IE languages around the Adriatic is much debated, but inconclusively. Later, round about the 6th century, a late Latin/ proto-Romance dialect, perhaps with Celtic elements, came into the region, but was pretty soon replaced by Slavic.

Back
Top Bottom