Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
Indeed, a toughie. I think the point is, the Censor is asking a man to swear, using the phrase that was used for formal oath-taking, 'ex animi tui sententia', literally, 'by the judgement of your spirit' - 'Do you, by the judgement of your spirit, have a wife?' to which the wag replies, 'Indeed I have a wife, but, by Hercules, not according to the judgement of my spirit' i.e. 'she's certainly not what I want'. The Censor was not amused.
Indeed, you caught the word, sententia, which like many Latin words has several related meanings: The oath asks for judgment or determination. However, the word also means opinion, feeling or will.

how an actual 'Roman resource' is harvested for modern science...

low_background_metal_2x.png

... it's true (minus the time machines)

Imperial Roman fast food joint to reopen its doors after almost 2000 years of shutdown ...

(the dig began in 2019 but has now been completed)

Someone needs to copy the interior design and start a new chain.
(Maybe we can come up with a good name?)

2b9d2f2c15e223f111499f23f9b87b4d.jpg
As shown by the signs and residues found this was down to earth Roman fast food.
None of that nonsense about larks' tongues, otters' noses and Tuscany fried bats.

Imperial Roman fast food joint to reopen its doors after almost 2000 years of shutdown ...

(the dig began in 2019 but has now been completed)

Someone needs to copy the interior design and start a new chain.
(Maybe we can come up with a good name?)

View attachment 945482
As shown by the signs and residues found this was down to earth Roman fast food.
None of that nonsense about larks' tongues, otters' noses and Tuscany fried bats.
Video not available
This video includes content from AFP. This partner has blocked the display of the video on this website or in this application.

Again one of the videos that are not allowed to be shown in Germany. I just wonder why every time?
The rest is visible and very interesting.

Video not available
This video includes content from AFP. This partner has blocked the display of the video on this website or in this application.

Again one of the videos that are not allowed to be shown in Germany. I just wonder why every time?
The rest is visible and very interesting.
You have to click on the link "Watch on Youtube" in the black screen ... it's just embedding (in this case viewing while staying on cruxforums) that's disabled. I couldn't know that before posting ... it's AFP Deutschland and definitely works in Germany if you click through!

You have to click on the link "Watch on Youtube" in the black screen ... it's just embedding (in this case viewing while staying on cruxforums) that's disabled. I couldn't know that before posting ... it's AFP Deutschland and definitely works in Germany if you click through!
Thank you for the information.

Requiescat in pace (requiescebit fortasse).

An obituary from the New York Times:
"Considered the foremost Latinist in the Vatican and possibly the world." Indeed a sad loss. But CruxForum's gain.
We now count as a member the foremost Latinist in the world - @Eulalia

Interesting video of what life in ancient Rome looked like. I'm not sure of the accuracy, but it was enjoyable - except that there wasn't one scene of a crucifixion!
Definitely not the city of Rome. Rome is several miles inland, not on the coast. The bridges over the Tiber weren't nearly that elaborate. Also, there are no high, craggy hills within the city. It's seems more like a fantasy composite of various city in Roman times including features such as the Colosseum from Rome and the Pharos lighthouse from Alexandria, while omitting other locations in Rome, particularly the Forum, the baths and the aqueducts.

And, there is a brief scene of a crucifixion, at about 2:20. In fact, I think I recognize it from a trailer for a version of the Assassin's Creed video game.

Back
Top Bottom