Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
Roman surgical & medical instruments.
Of course they start right off the bat with the vaginal speculum, what else did you expect!?!

Also, a twitter thread that compares the roman version to the modern counterpart

Roman surgical & medical instruments.
Of course they start right off the bat with the vaginal speculum, what else did you expect!?!

Also, a twitter thread that compares the roman version to the modern counterpart
If you disregard the fact that stainless steel could not be made in ancient Rome, a surprising resemblance to modern surgical scalpels.

This is a good short, scientific account of Roman surgeons' use of anaesthetics;

Extract:

Roman anesthetists employed the Dissociative (sedation) (twilight) method of anesthesia. Sedatives were given with strong analgesics and local anesthetics. The patient would experience catalepsy, amnesia and marked analgesia [16]. The analgesic of choice was powdered opium (Papaver somniferum) in a draft of wine [17]. However, opium had to be imported from the East via the Silk Road and might not be available in sufficient quantities during mass casulaties. In that case the anesthetist would administer powdered mandrake (Mandragora officinarium) in a draft of wine [18]. Mandragora officinarium was grown in Italy. The sedative powdered Corn poppy (Papaver rhoeas) was added to the wine [19]. The local anesthetic used in surgery was a mixture of Memphitic stone and henbane seeds (Hyoscyamus niger) ground up and smeared on areas about to undergo surgery [20]. Once the patient was administer these agents and was in a state of twilight sleep the surgeon began to operate. Operations were conducted as quickly as possible.

A bit hoaky, but interesting attempt at bringing to life the actual appearance of famous Romans, including @messaline 's namesake.
In fiction, for manips, we can say Yes, there is a little resemblance ...
In reality, I could say the same, viewing that I'm very looking like this avatar'pic ...

Opera Instantané_2021-03-02Messaline.png

That's very interesting, thanks Frank. Emperor Titus also provided a similarly energetic relief programme when Rome was hit by both a fire and an outbreak of plague the following year. He was certainly a big spender. There are obviously limits to the comparison with present-day economies - he wouldn't have accumulated massive debts to be paid off in years to come by issuing bonds, or had an Imperial Reserve Bank to buy them with money it manufactured. There do seem to have been financial crises during that period, but not obviously linked with Titus' projects, and the Empire was arguably at its most prosperous during and after the Flavians.

That's very interesting, thanks Frank. Emperor Titus also provided a similarly energetic relief programme when Rome was hit by both a fire and an outbreak of plague the following year. He was certainly a big spender. There are obviously limits to the comparison with present-day economies - he wouldn't have accumulated massive debts to be paid off in years to come by issuing bonds, or had an Imperial Reserve Bank to buy them with money it manufactured. There do seem to have been financial crises during that period, but not obviously linked with Titus' projects, and the Empire was arguably at its most prosperous during and after the Flavians.
"In other words: thousands of good jobs, for years. And the resulting infrastructure would be used for centuries."

... that might be key...

"In other words: thousands of good jobs, for years. And the resulting infrastructure would be used for centuries."

... that might be key...
I guess it depends on what people wanted to buy. I assume a large share of the grain came as taxes from the provinces (so they could export whatever inflation was generated). Farming in fertile areas (if the weather cooperates) usually generates surpluses. (In 19th century America, the opposition to the tariff was rural, since it raised prices on manufactured goods. Farmers were always complaining about low prices for their production--that might have something to do with storage constraints and the fact that everyone needed to sell at harvest time, but it still indicates a surplus in largely pre-industrial agriculture. New England with its hard, rocky soil had lost out to the Midwest and the Great Plains by that time, so dispersal of production also kept prices in check, and weather is largely local--until the Dust Bowl.) Building stone was probably more of bottleneck, but that didn't really affect the workers, including quarrymen, who were probably paid relatively little. What else would there be? Textiles. I assume most of those were "homespun" and probably in good supply--labor was available, and everyone had sheep or hides or plant-based fabrics. So maybe a few fat cats who needed to buy stone felt a supply squeeze.
Conservatives always like to point to the 19th century as a time of price stability, but that might have been due to "Empire"--lots of sources for lots of things and dirt-cheap labor at the points of production.
Where is Adameus Smithicus (maybe Adameus Faber Ferrarius is better) when you need him?

Last edited:
Those guys were pretty good politicians--maybe they learned something from the abominations of Nero.

Conservatives always like to point to the 19th century as a time of price stability,
Hmm, if I remember correctly, financial panics, bank runs etc. were quite common in the 19th century, and the phenomenon of a financial crisis causing something literally called a "Great Depression" was already familiar ... that very word was first applied to the 1873 crisis and the long follow up effects ...

Hmm, if I remember correctly, financial panics, bank runs etc. were quite common in the 19th century, and the phenomenon of a financial crisis causing something literally called a "Great Depression" was already familiar ... that very word was first applied to the 1873 crisis and the long follow up effects ...
Yes, sorry, I meant to say inflation was under control--price stability, which was attributed to the gold standard. Certainly there were a lot of panics. I have a friend who is a history professor. He used to talk about the US effort to build the transcontinental railroad after the Civil War. "Any financial manipulation you care to name, they did it."

Back
Top Bottom