SciFi Crucifixion

Go to CruxDreams.com
Kate and Laura were good friends. They were also attracted physically to each other, but suffered from what Dr. Ruth Westheimer called “the mutually sublimated hotsies”. Both had religious backgrounds, and both were fascinated by crucifixion. They had never talked about these things. Both had boyfriends, and both were happy with their sex lives. But new horizons sometimes beckoned.
Laura saw an ad on-line. “Virtual experience.” “Live in the past as if it were now.” “New start-up seeks volunteers to test revolutionary technology.” “SERVICE PROVIDED BELOW COST.”
Yelp wasn’t much help—the company was too new. There was some on-line buzz, however. Laura and her boyfriend had both worked in Silicon Valley start-ups, and he had heard of this company. It was backed by some serious venture capital. The principals had done successful start-ups before. They were inventive, and attuned to new technology. It didn’t seem to be a fraud or hyped vaporware.
Laura asked her boyfriend if they could try it. He was fascinated with ancient Greece, and always wanted to attend an Olympics. So, they went in. “Sure, we can probably do that. We can let you spend a day at the games. We can probably program that relatively quickly. Tentatively, you can come in next month. But first we’ll need to do a session to measure your brain and body responses to stimuli—electrical behavior, blood flow, that kind of thing. It will only take about an hour. It’s a little like an MRI. It’s painless, but you do have to be as patient as you would be for a medical exam. For the actual experience, you’ll be in an MRI-like machine for a day. It will be a little like a sleep lab—you’ll be out, in a REM dreamlike state. You’ll be immobilized. Your headsets will be connected so the program can feed your reactions to your partner when he/she is watching you or listening to you. You may feel a little weird afterward, but again not much different than after a sleep experiment. There is no danger from people or things you may ‘encounter’—it’s all a simulation. We stimulate your nerves and brain to create the simulated experience.” The company wouldn’t of course go into a lot of technical detail, other than to say that the final program is written “iteratively” by a computer—each pass is used as input to refine the next. They decided to try it.
It was fantastic. Laura’s boyfriend loved the games. Laura, as a woman, was not allowed to attend. But she wandered the agora, took in the sights and the smells, talked to the locals, saw the temple, and watched all the ancillary festivities. They wrote rave reviews for the company. The software was in beta, but it seemed to work fine.
Laura told Kate. “You wear a helmet and a body suit. They stimulate your brain and nerves somehow. They can make you see, smell and feel. It’s like dreaming, except much more vivid and focused—weird stuff that is common in dreams just doesn’t happen. We should do something together.”
Kate blurted out, “I’ve always wanted to be crucified. Can they do that?” Laura didn’t know, but she did know that she had crucifixion fantasies too, and Kate was usually involved—sometimes as a spectator, often as a cross mate. She didn’t say that to Kate, but she did say. “Me too. It would be very interesting. We’d be two ‘thieves’ whose luck had run out, displayed for all of the city to see.”
But this would be a delicate request—like asking to work in a bordello or something. The staff at the company might wonder. Laura had gotten to know one of the women who worked there. She decided to approach her discretely about it.
“It may surprise you to learn that we’ve had this request several times already. We’ve been able to program it, and the customers seemed to be satisfied with it. Our policy is to take a customer’s request and build the experience around it, based on our research. So, you won’t be able to specify all the details, or even most of them. But you will be able to select the location. Your privacy is respected—the technicians who run the experience don’t know exactly what it is. The people who program the experience won’t know your identities either. Only the customer representative and her assistant will know the details of your request and your pre-tests and write the instructions to the programming staff. We take privacy seriously.”
Kate and Laura chose pre-Christian Judea, in the first years of direct Roman rule. That was close enough to the notions they had learned in school. They were asked to come in for a pre-session. They were fitted with headsets to monitor their brain activity, led into a room full of mirrors, and asked to strip naked and watch each other go through a complex stretching routine that lasted about half an hour. Laura was especially thrilled to see Kate’s big boobs on display. Kate admired Laura’s taught, fit body. They were both highly aroused when the female technician ended the session. It only whetted their appetites for “the experience”. Not knowing exactly what would happen and how it would in the actual program heightened the anticipation. Laura remembered Bob Hope’s old quip when asked what he wanted on his tombstone. “Surprise me.”
There was a somewhat sobering meeting after the session, though. They had to sign a waiver. “I thought this was only a simulation of reality.
“It is. You will not really be crucified. But your nerves will be stimulated—the pain will be real. As in REM sleep, you will lose muscle tone, so you cannot thrash around and hurt yourselves. Your brain, however, will be tricked into believing you are walking, running, thrashing in pain. You will be able to actually sweat, scream, pant, breathe erratically. Pain triggers all kinds of things: immune responses, hormonal responses,… These can cause dangerous physiological reactions. We will monitor you and stop the program if we see any problems, so it should be safe. But, we have to warn you to protect ourselves from liability.” This was sobering and exciting at the same time. It would seem very real. They would feel a real crucifixion.

The street scene appeared suddenly in front of them. They were dressed modestly, with head coverings, as one would expect in a Jewish city. They were just getting their bearings when they heard screaming and a woman rushed toward them, bleeding from a nasty gash in her head. She was in her twenties, maybe five feet tall at most, with no covering on her dark, wildly tousled hair.
“Help me! Hide me! They are trying to stone me!”
Laura and Kate instinctively pushed her into an alley and screened her as the mob rushed by. After a few minutes, she felt safe enough to thank them, and ask them to accompany her home. They hurried through backstreets until they came to a small brick house on a street crowded with buildings, but with almost no people around. There were a lot of cats, and they spotted what seemed to be a rat or two. The whole complex was probably a grain storage area.
Two women came out of the house immediately. They were all pulled inside, and the bleeding woman’s wounds were attended to. The room was dark, and smelled of incense. All the windows were covered with thick cloth. Laura could make out strange figurines on the sparse furniture, and somewhat grotesque designs on the walls. There were beads hanging from the ceiling, and jars with strange-looking contents. There were what looked like animal bones, and what seemed to be an animal skull. There was a fire pit in the center of the floor.
They were offered food and drink, which they accepted. They were thanked again, but no one offered any explanations. It seemed ominous, but then they expected it to be ominous. They knew they were going to be crucified, after all. They all sat on the cushions on the roughly tiled floor and ate and drank.
Suddenly, the door burst open and a huge figure in armor barged in, followed by others. He had a full red beard. Two of the women bolted toward what seemed to be hidden exits, but they were blocked by armed figures who had apparently found the exits and were waiting for them. All the woman were gathered in the center of the room, bound, dragged outside, and marched under heavy guard toward a large fortress. Laura guessed (correctly) that it was the Antonia. They were in Roman custody. Laura noticed one curious detail about the soldiers. They were all wearing amulets about their necks. The avoided eye contact with the women. At the fortress, all five women, still bound, were pushed into a holding cell, and it was locked down.

“Excellency, the High Priest is grateful for your assistance in putting an end to this on-going disturbance in the city.” The speaker wore the robes of a member of the Aaronic priesthood of the Jews.
“The Samaritan witches have been ordered out of the city before. They have dared to return. They will not have another opportunity. The Prefect intends to end the unrest once and for all.”
The red-bearded commander was ushered in. “Ah, Rufus, have you been successful?” “Yes, Excellency, the women—five in all—are detained in our dungeon, awaiting the Prefect’s orders.” “The Prefect wishes that you crucify all of them immediately outside the gate, in the standard location. Use sediles. He intends that they linger and suffer, to show the power of Rome over all—including their so-called black arts. Don’t dally with whips and rapes. Just get it done at once. Your men are the most steadfast under the Prefect’s command. He trusts that with the amulets provided you by our own priests, you and your command will have no qualms about this assignment and carry it out to perfection.”
“Yes, Excellency. The Prefect’s confidence in us is not misplaced. We will execute this order immediately.”
The High Priest’s representative spoke up. “These are women, Excellency. The High Priest would hope that you respect our people’s concerns for modesty, and that nudity will be minimized.”
“Tell the High Priest that he has let the situation rage out of control. Now Rome intends to produce a potent example as a warning to all who would disturb the peace of the city. If the High Priest can persuade the pious to absent themselves, we do not object. Best of luck to him. As for the women, Rufus, they should be hung stark naked in a way that maximizes the display of their pudenda. Put on the most explicit display possible. Maximize their shame and their suffering.”
“Of course, Excellency. By your leave?”
“Dismissed, Rufus. The Prefect gives you and your men his highest compliments.”

By SF I always think on space ship. A good idea to install a torture room in there; entertainment for the crew.
Actually, interstellar travel takes so long it would require suspended animation. So as entertainment this dream technology would fit right in. But SF can also be genetics (The Island of Doctor Moreau, Jurassic Park) or inner space (the old, pretty bad movie with Racquel Welch: Fantastic Voyage). Like you I tend to be partial to physics and cosmology, but we do need to give biology its due, to be fair. In a way, Greek and Roman mythology is also SF.

By SF I always think on space ship. A good idea to install a torture room in there; entertainment for the crew.

Yes, that's a common feeling, some people will tell you that something is not SF if it doesn't have space ships in it.
Not true, of course. SF covers a huge and varied range of possible settings, almost anything you can imagine. That's the point, really.

Having said that, time travel is a venerable sub genre, and this story, while not actually time travel, almost passes as such. Virtual time travel.

Actually, interstellar travel takes so long it would require suspended animation.

It all depends how you travel, Frank.

I saw this with English subtitles. Time travel instead of spaceships, but a great SF plot. Probably couldn't happen today with airport security.

I want to see this film! Gilliam totally ripped this off. Err, is it on Netflix??

A relevant story I came across today, holograms you can feel

btw I have high hopes for this story Frank, nice start.

The program had enabled Kate and Laura to witness this exchange from their cell, like flies on the wall, like a dream. This was not real, of course, it was a participatory dream and the only things that “happened” were things the participants could observe. By contrast, the witches were characters and could not watch the whole plot. Kate and Laura looked at each other—they would soon be hanging from crosses, naked and on display, for witchcraft—it would seem real enough at least, like the agora near Mount Olympus. The witches had begun chanting some kind of spell. Things were getting more interesting by the minute, in a twisted sort of way. The programmers got excellent grades so far for creativity.
Rufus burst into the cell with a group of men, two of whom carried torches and thrust them toward the faces of the chanting women. The chanting quickly stopped. All the women, including Laura and Kate, were dragged out of the cell and into a workshop. They were tied to sturdy, blood-stained wooden crossbeams, connected in a chain-gang-like row with ropes around their waists (which tended to highlight their figures), and pulled out of the door into the courtyard. A crucifixion party was waiting, at least 40-strong. The procession started on its way through the narrow streets of the city to the place called Golgatha just outside the gate on the main road. There was a drummer to keep the pace and advertise the event. There were men with corded whips to keep the condemned moving. The guard surrounded the women, keeping the spectators at bay, and mounted men—two in front and two in back—kept the path for the procession open. If any of the woman stumbled, a carnifex would roughly grab her and drag her along until she righted herself.
And there were lots of spectators. The word had spread. Crucifixions of women didn’t happen often, and as the High Priest feared the spectacle had a huge sexual component that excited the crowd (which included more than a few religious figures, solely as “official” witnesses, of course), and many women. All of the condemned women were relatively young. Kate and Laura were the oldest, but as modern woman with good nutrition and medical care, they were in much better shape than an ancient woman of their age would be. It was obvious that Kate in particular had a gorgeous figure. Everyone was anxious to see it in all its glory.
The women were sweating, sore, and winded as the procession exited the gate and trudged up the Golgatha hill. On the hill, a work party was waiting, having removed five of the seven stipes from their permanent holes and laid them on the ground—ready for the patibuli to be attached. There was a bonfire burning brightly, and Laura wondered why.
But for now she had other things to worry about. The line of women snaked parallel to the crosses and stopped. The patibuli were taken from their shoulders, and a guard moved in on each of them, ready to keep them under control. They watched as the crosses were assembled—the mortise in each patibulum was fitted over the tenon in the corresponding stipes, and secured with ropes. Then a single carnifex moved down the row of women, stripping each in turn. The witches were all skinny, but not unpleasant to look at. Kate’s big breasts appeared, and she blushed. The carnifex pulled off her clothes quickly, with a somewhat bored look on his face. He did glance at her, but he seemed more interested in getting on with it, like someone who’d seen it all before. He acted like a line cook—tear, pull, toss, move on, tear, pull, toss, move on…. It was Laura’s turn. The carnifex unceremoniously tore at her clothes and pulled her robe down—apparently he wasn’t worried about damaging the cloth. Maybe it would be reworked, maybe it would just be discarded. He didn’t look Laura in the eye—he only noticed her body in passing as the robe came off. She felt the breeze against her body, still moist with sweat from the trek to the execution site, so she got some goose bumps from the coolness, and her nipples hardened and stood out. Her areolae were larger than most, even Kate’s, and her boyfriend liked them, but the carnifex didn’t seem to care. Unlike most women, she didn’t shave her pubic hair, which her boyfriend also liked and which Kate clearly noticed, but he didn’t seem to care about that either. All in all, he took a lot of the excitement out of being stripped. She was facing the cross, and couldn’t see the crowd in back of her, although some had circled around to get a better view. The overall reaction was something of a letdown, but at least Kate was watching her, just as she had watched Kate.
The guard stepped up and bound her arms tightly behind her, forcing out her breasts. He held on to her upper arms, too. It was clear why. The women would be nailed one at a time by a single carnifex. The others would have to watch—it was part of the torture. So, they needed to be controlled if they panicked. The guard’s grip served notice that Laura would not have any leeway to react and move around—she just had to stand there and watch. She would be the last one, right after Kate. She was getting nervous now, and starting to sweat a little. Her eyes met Kate’s. Kate was nervous too. Everything was about to hit the fan, so to speak.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a common feeling, some people will tell you that something is not SF if it doesn't have space ships in it.
Not true, of course. SF covers a huge and varied range of possible settings, almost anything you can imagine. That's the point, really.

Having said that, time travel is a venerable sub genre, and this story, while not actually time travel, almost passes as such. Virtual time travel.

It all depends how you travel, Frank.

I want to see this film! Gilliam totally ripped this off. Err, is it on Netflix??

A relevant story I came across today, holograms you can feel

btw I have high hopes for this story Frank, nice start.
I doubt it's on Netflix, or ever will be. It's a sequence of stills, like a power-point demonstration (before there was power-point). I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw it--some kind of "film studies" course, probably) with an old friend who was a movie maniac. (He once bought an alfa-romeo, took it apart to see what was inside, then realized he'd have a hard time getting back together--talk about jigsaw puzzles. It eventually caught fire on a freeway and perished in a blaze of glory.)

I doubt it's on Netflix, or ever will be. It's a sequence of stills, like a power-point demonstration (before there was power-point). I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw it--some kind of "film studies" course, probably) with an old friend who was a movie maniac. (He once bought an alfa-romeo, took it apart to see what was inside, then realized he'd have a hard time getting back together--talk about jigsaw puzzles. It eventually caught fire on a freeway and perished in a blaze of glory.)

Yeah, I didn't think so. Sounds like your friend was more than just a movie maniac, an all round maniac!

Interesting you mention that the two women are waiting for something to happen, they've signed up for crucifixion so it's anticipation rather than a shock.

Bonus points for using "patibuli", don't know how correct it is but I don't think I've seen it in a story before.

"The overall reaction was something of a letdown, but at least Kate was watching her, just as she had watched Kate. "

Yes, that's the key. There are two real people in this scene, and it's their reactions that count. Kate has noted Laura's bush, I hope she approves or at least is curious about it. And Laura is aware of Kate's large breasts, soon to be swaying freely on a cross. With this and a shared experience of suffering, I wonder what feelings may rise to the surface here?

The crowd fell silent in rapt attention as the carnifex called for the first witch. Her hair was the longest of any of the women’s, so a soldier cut it back with his sword—no compromise on the naked display based on the prefect’s orders. As she was brought forward, she uttered a lethal curse against the executioners, but they ignored her. There was a shortish peg on the stipes, and Laura wondered what it was for. She was forced to sit just above it on the stipes, pulled back, stretched out, and held down. Her legs were spread and her ankles pinned to the side of the stipes, exposing her vaginal area to full view. Her breasts were of moderate size, and they flattened against her chest so she almost, but not quite, could be taken for a guy. She sucked in her stomach and closed her eyes. All her ribs were visible. Laura’s arousal heightened, making up for the disappointing reaction to her stripping.
The carnifex knelt beside her left arm and fingered her wrist. He held a long, vicious-looking nail. When he found the spot he wanted, he placed the point of the nail on it, lifted his hammer, and brought it down hard. The woman’s eyes popped open and she let out a shrill, loud, almost vicious howl. She writhed and strained mightily, but the workers held her in position. Two more blows and the nail was in. She was shrieking and gasping as the carnifex moved to her right wrist. He was all business as the second nail was driven into place. The witch wailed and shrieked—it was pretty fearsome performance. When the second nail was done, the executioners lifted her butt, spread her glutes, and brought her down hard on the stubby sedile, impaling her and immobilizing her. She was sweating profusely, and obviously in a great deal of pain. Her abdomen vibrated, and all her ribs stood out.
They turned to her legs. Her left leg was bent at about a thirty-five-degree angle. A nail was placed just below the bulge where the fibula meets the talus, and a hard blow drove it into the talus. The woman jerked her body up and shrieked. The pain was obviously intense. The carnifex was working quickly, pounding forcefully and hard. The whole team seemed to be focused on getting it done—assembly line efficiency which would make Henry Ford proud. The last nail was driven in. The woman lay on the cross gasping and sweating profusely. He legs were spread wide—nothing was left to the imagination. The carnifex was done with her, calling for the second witch, the one with the head wound from the aborted stoning. But the ordeal of the first was not over yet. Three men grabbed the prone cross and shoved it against a wooden slat placed in the whole. They lifted it up and the crucified witch’s body slid down the stipes. The sedile penetrated deeper, painfully checking her descent. She shrieked loudly and continuously. The cross fell into the hole with a thud—almost a foot-long drop. Laura quivered at the sight of it, and her stomach churned. She was genuinely afraid. It was unredeemingly brutal. Blood flowed from all the wounds. The witch was still yelling as the team secured the cross in its hole with several more wooden stakes. The crowd seemed transfixed by the show.
The second witch was screaming, cursing, and struggling in fear as they basically had to frog-march her to her cross. She was strong-armed down and the crucifixion started. She shrieked loudly, just as her sister had done, but she seemed to have more energy. Nothing helped, though. She was soon upright, shrieking and writhing next to her sister.
The last witch, wide-eyed and crying, was next. “NO! NO!”. The crowd was at the height of excitement. The gruesome spectacle was repeated. There were soon three crosses set up.
And the carnifices were working on Kate.

Yeah, I didn't think so. Sounds like your friend was more than just a movie maniac, an all round maniac!

Interesting you mention that the two women are waiting for something to happen, they've signed up for crucifixion so it's anticipation rather than a shock.

Bonus points for using "patibuli", don't know how correct it is but I don't think I've seen it in a story before.

"The overall reaction was something of a letdown, but at least Kate was watching her, just as she had watched Kate. "

Yes, that's the key. There are two real people in this scene, and it's their reactions that count. Kate has noted Laura's bush, I hope she approves or at least is curious about it. And Laura is aware of Kate's large breasts, soon to be swaying freely on a cross. With this and a shared experience of suffering, I wonder what feelings may rise to the surface here?
Well, you're right: I'm wrong. I had four years of Latin, and I should know better. Maybe I can blame Cicero. I have never read anything that made the writer look more like a pompous ass than what Cicero wrote. But, that was a long time ago. The correct nominative plural is "patibula". I hope this egregious error doesn't spoil anyone's enjoyment of the story. I guess I was too lazy to check.

Kate whimpered softly as they strong-armed her toward her cross. “No. No. Oh my God. Don’t. Stop.” They forced her down, pulled her back, and spread her out. Her big boobs flattened against her chest, flopping over to the sides. He nipples were rock hard and fully erect. She was breathing deeply, and you could see all her ribs. Her stomach was convex. As she struggled vainly against the firm grip of the carnifices, her muscles were taught, and a sheen of sweat covered her. She had extensive tattoos, as one would expect with a witch. They only added to the spectacle.
Laura noticed the crowd pressing in closely to watch the show, as close as the armed guards would allow. Kate and Laura were not scrawny lower-class ancient women, worn down by hard physical work, frequent pregnancies, and poor nutrition. They did Pilates together, and Laura did weights. Yet the carnifices didn’t seem to notice or care. Maybe it was the professionalism of cold-blooded torturers. Maybe it was the superstition of a witch-fearing ancient, fear and caution overriding any sexual feeling. Probably it was both. This band of Rufus soldiers was nothing if not very disciplined, fearsome, and formidable.
Laura had to keep telling herself that Kate wasn’t going to die, wasn’t even going to be any the worse for wear after the “dream” was over. The pain would be real, though, and the sensations of the whole experience had a physical basis. There was reason to be afraid, but not mortally afraid.
Kate howled as the first nail went in. She writhed strenuously, every muscle twitched, every rib showed. The sweat poured out of her, and her face was contorted in agony. Laura watched in rapt fascination, her arousal growing with the second nail, the sedile, the first ankle, the second ankle. Kate was putting on a spectacular sexual display, and Laura couldn’t understand how the stone-faced, methodical carnifices could control themselves.
It was done. Kate was crucified, panting and moaning as she lay on the cross. Laura hotly anticipated seeing her raised.
But she was quickly brought back to earth. The assembly line was moving on, and wouldn’t wait for Kate to be lifted into the air. It was her turn. As they pulled her forward, she envisioned her body stretched out: large areolae flat against her chest, hard, prominent nipples, breast tissue flopping off the sides of her rib cage, her muscular core tensed and shimmering with sweat, a large shock of black hair adorning her crotch. The fear was becoming palpable, but the arousal was still very much with her. It disappointed her that Kate would not be able to watch, since Laura’s prone cross was now behind her erected one. Workers were pounding wooden stakes into the hole to secure it in place. She could hear Kate still screaming in pain.
Laura was now stretched out and held down. She felt the carnifex’s fingers on her left wrist. She closed her eyes and clenched her teeth. The hammer came down hard, her eyes popped open as she let out a loud shriek. There were two more clangs of the hammer. She felt the wet blood trickle out of the wound. Just as the sharp pain gave way to a strong, persistent, stinging pain, more clanging and new sharp pain enveloped her right wrist. She felt her whole body writhe, every muscle tense. It was like the best sex she had ever had with her boyfriend, except for the terrible pain.
He glutes were separated and a sharp pain filled her anus. Each ankle in turn was fixed to the sides of the stipes with a nail, driven agonizingly through the bone. Tears of pain engulfed her face, and she was hoarse with screaming. The carnifex knew his business.
She lay panting on her cross. She felt the cross push forward and stop when it hit a block of wood. The jerking aggravated all her wounds. Then the cross slowly started to rise into the air. Her body slid down, the sedile penetrated deeper as it broke her descent. The pain mounted. She was yelling at the top of her lungs. The cross fell into the hole with a thud. Her whole body jerked against the nails. It was the worst pain of the entire experience, although mercifully momentary. The cross vibrated as stakes were pounded into the earth to hold it in place. Then the activity stopped.
Laura yelled and moaned for a few minutes, then turned toward Kate, who was looking at her, her large breasts hanging smartly from her stretched out chest. They were crucified. All that was left was the wait for the end.

The five women hung from their crosses outside the city gate. The huge crowd had thinned out as the crucified witches settled into a lethargy punctuated by an occasional twist and scream. They moved slowly up and down on their crosses to breathe, the sediles requiring a lot less effort but for more pain. The road was busy, and there was no shortage of people who would stop to gawk. The “official” religious monitors in their priestly robes were still in evidence, protecting the people from witches, apparently. The air was hot and dusty, and somewhat humid. There was an abundance of insects, who swooped in frequently to crawl on the women’s skin and drink their sweat and blood.
Kate and Laura were clearly the stars of the show. Most had never seen a woman quite like Kate, let alone a naked one full of tattoos. Both the guards and the onlookers openly speculated that they were from faraway Gaul, which added to the anxiety about the witchly power on the crosses. One man rushed up and tried to grope Kate. A spear butt knocked the wind out of him, and maybe did more damage than that. The crowd contained a good number of women, who seemed fascinated.
At one point, the sky darkened and lightning flashed in the distance. The witch with the gash in her head began chanting a curse. The crowd buzzed with panic. Rufus was ready. He grabbed a torch from the fire and thrust it into the woman’s abdomen. She screamed in pain and shut up. To the disappointment of the women on the crosses, there was no rain.
Kate and Laura talked a little, but the agony was enough to keep it brief. Every muscle ached. Every breath was a labor. The pain of the nail wounds was unrelenting—they just tolerated it, like a bed-ridden patient with no choice but to bear up under chronic pain. They wondered when it would be over. They’d had their experience. But the day dragged on. As evening approached, the witch with the gash in her head and the burned abdomen seemed dead. The others were still breathing. Rufus barked an order. “Break all of their legs. Then pull them down and put the bodies in the fire.” No opportunity would be offered for reanimating witches, apparently.
The assembly line sprang into action, moving down the row of crosses. Kate’s legs were broken. She screamed and reared up, then settled down gasping for breath. Laura felt the pain her legs, and like Kate began to suffocate. Then, they woke up in the company’s lab.
They were helped out of the MRI-like tubes by the staff. They were given juice and water and fruit, underwent a brief medical checkup, and were able to shower and take a short nap. They certainly had gotten some tiring exercise from the stimulation. They again wrote rave reviews for the company. They thought they might do it again sometime, but “not right away”.
Both boyfriends noticed a marked increase in their girlfriends’ libidos. And the “Doctor Ruth hotsies” between Laura and Kate were no longer sublimated.
The company went out of beta, and the prices went way up. There was talk of an IPO. The name the company chose for itself was DreadCo, unashamedly stolen from the British chemist David Jones who used to write the Daedelus humor columns for New Scientist and later Nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_E._H._Jones

She felt the breeze against her body, still moist with sweat from the trek to the execution site, so she got some goose bumps from the coolness, and her nipples hardened and stood out. Her areolae were larger than most, even Kate’s, and her boyfriend liked them, but the carnifex didn’t seem to care. Unlike most women, she didn’t shave her pubic hair, which her boyfriend also liked and which Kate clearly noticed, but he didn’t seem to care about that either.

Can I just say - I care!

Kate whimpered softly as they strong-armed her toward her cross. “No. No. Oh my God. Don’t. Stop.” They forced her down, pulled her back, and spread her out. Her big boobs flattened against her chest, flopping over to the sides. He nipples were rock hard and fully erect. She was breathing deeply

as were we all, Frank, as were we all.

Kate howled as the first nail went in. She writhed strenuously, every muscle twitched, every rib showed. The sweat poured out of her, and her face was contorted in agony. Laura watched in rapt fascination, her arousal growing

Fascinating to explore this, two friends sharing an intense yet non lethal experience like this, stripped down to the core of their physical and emotional endurance. Finding arousal in her friend's suffering. Knowing she will be next.

It reminds me a little of that very interesting Markus frame where one woman, watching the condemned females carry their crosses, says to her friend "I would like to see you in their place"
z10b.jpg

Laura was now stretched out and held down. She felt the carnifex’s fingers on her left wrist. She closed her eyes and clenched her teeth. The hammer came down hard, her eyes popped open as she let out a loud shriek. There were two more clangs of the hammer. She felt the wet blood trickle out of the wound. Just as the sharp pain gave way to a strong, persistent, stinging pain, more clanging and new sharp pain enveloped her right wrist. She felt her whole body writhe, every muscle tense. It was like the best sex she had ever had with her boyfriend, except for the terrible pain.

Pleasure and pain. Would you try this, if it was available. No permanent physical harm done, but real pain to be endured.

The pain of the nail wounds was unrelenting—they just tolerated it, like a bed-ridden patient with no choice but to bear up under chronic pain. They wondered when it would be over. They’d had their experience. But the day dragged on.

And so it becomes a real ordeal to experience and yet not suffer the ultimate effect of crucifixion to the end. It seems to have had a powerful affect on them, as you would expect.

I found myself wondering what they would have thought if their boyfriends had suddenly popped up in the simulation, in the crowd. How would they have felt suffering this agony naked in front of people from the real world, people intimately known to them? What might it have done to their relationships? That was the one thing missing from the experience. Apart from each other, there were no real people to feel real shame in front of.

But perhaps experiencing this in front of each other was enough?

Thanks for the story Frank, a twist on the time travel staple, VR time travel.

The five women hung from their crosses outside the city gate. The huge crowd had thinned out as the crucified witches settled into a lethargy punctuated by an occasional twist and scream. They moved slowly up and down on their crosses to breathe, the sediles requiring a lot less effort but for more pain. The road was busy, and there was no shortage of people who would stop to gawk. The “official” religious monitors in their priestly robes were still in evidence, protecting the people from witches, apparently. The air was hot and dusty, and somewhat humid. There was an abundance of insects, who swooped in frequently to crawl on the women’s skin and drink their sweat and blood.
Kate and Laura were clearly the stars of the show. Most had never seen a woman quite like Kate, let alone a naked one full of tattoos. Both the guards and the onlookers openly speculated that they were from faraway Gaul, which added to the anxiety about the witchly power on the crosses. One man rushed up and tried to grope Kate. A spear butt knocked the wind out of him, and maybe did more damage than that. The crowd contained a good number of women, who seemed fascinated.
At one point, the sky darkened and lightning flashed in the distance. The witch with the gash in her head began chanting a curse. The crowd buzzed with panic. Rufus was ready. He grabbed a torch from the fire and thrust it into the woman’s abdomen. She screamed in pain and shut up. To the disappointment of the women on the crosses, there was no rain.
Kate and Laura talked a little, but the agony was enough to keep it brief. Every muscle ached. Every breath was a labor. The pain of the nail wounds was unrelenting—they just tolerated it, like a bed-ridden patient with no choice but to bear up under chronic pain. They wondered when it would be over. They’d had their experience. But the day dragged on. As evening approached, the witch with the gash in her head and the burned abdomen seemed dead. The others were still breathing. Rufus barked an order. “Break all of their legs. Then pull them down and put the bodies in the fire.” No opportunity would be offered for reanimating witches, apparently.
The assembly line sprang into action, moving down the row of crosses. Kate’s legs were broken. She screamed and reared up, then settled down gasping for breath. Laura felt the pain her legs, and like Kate began to suffocate. Then, they woke up in the company’s lab.
They were helped out of the MRI-like tubes by the staff. They were given juice and water and fruit, underwent a brief medical checkup, and were able to shower and take a short nap. They certainly had gotten some tiring exercise from the stimulation. They again wrote rave reviews for the company. They thought they might do it again sometime, but “not right away”.
Both boyfriends noticed a marked increase in their girlfriends’ libidos. And the “Doctor Ruth hotsies” between Laura and Kate were no longer sublimated.
The company went out of beta, and the prices went way up. There was talk of an IPO. The name the company chose for itself was DreadCo, unashamedly stolen from the British chemist David Jones who used to write the Daedelus humor columns for New Scientist and later Nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_E._H._Jones
Very, very well done, sir. Immensely enjoyable tale with, as Phlebas says, a nice ending!

The story of Daedalus is both an ancient science fiction story and an entrepreneurial story.
As most people probably know, Daedalus is the designer of the labyrinth, where Minos the tyrant of Crete kept the Minotaur and fed him the youth of Athens. Daedalus fell out with him and was imprisoned, but escaped with his son Icarus by flying out on wings designed by Daedalus. Icarus flew "too close to the sun" (kill joys of modern science have debunked this based on data supplied in part by Captain Cook about the distance to the sun--plus, it's cold up there and there's no air log before you get close to the sun), the wax in the wings melted, and Icarus perished. All that's left of him is his name on an astronomy journal. Daedalus made it out, and Minos went looking for him. Here's what supposedly happened.
Further to the west Daedalus arrived safely in Sicily, in the care of King Cocalus of Kamikos on the island's south coast; there Daedalus built a temple to Apollo, and hung up his wings, an offering to the god. In an invention of Virgil (Aeneid VI), Daedalus flies to Cumae and founds his temple there, rather than in Sicily; long afterward Aeneas confronts the sculpted golden doors of the temple.
Minos, meanwhile, searched for Daedalus by traveling from city to city asking a riddle. He presented a spiral seashell and asked for a string to be run through it. When he reached Kamikos, King Cocalus, knowing Daedalus would be able to solve the riddle, privately fetched the old man to him. He tied the string to an ant which, lured by a drop of honey at one end, walked through the seashell stringing it all the way through. Minos then knew Daedalus was in the court of King Cocalus and demanded he be handed over. Cocalus managed to convince Minos to take a bath first, where Cocalus' daughters killed Minos. In some versions, Daedalus himself poured boiling water on Minos and killed him.

All this lead to DreadCo and David Jones' columns. You can still buy them in book form, I believe.

Beam me up, Scotty. (How would one say that in Scottish dialect, Eulalia?)

Back
Top Bottom